News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The search for Richard III

Started by Welsh Wench, August 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

Most likely the Stanleys, who turned traitor at the last minute, thereby sealing Richards
fate.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Welsh Wench

It looks like Richard III will be buried in Leicester Cathedral on March 26, 2015.

How cool would it be to go to the funeral of a king who died over 400 years ago!

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/08/07/king-richard-lll-reburied-march-26th/
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

BLAKDUKE

Rowan MacD

Indeed!  I've been following the debate on the design of the tomb.
    Can't say I'm a fan of the final design.
    It's too modern and minimalist for a 400 year old king. The Richard III society wanted something a bit more in keeping with what would have been constructed in the 1400's; and many were rabidly opposed to the block carved with a deep cross.   
   The depth of the cross is designed to reveal that the remains are not interred above ground. (at least this was the official explanation).
   Will they be holding a Catholic rite?  The Anglican church did not exist in his time.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Welsh Wench

According to this article--

"It is deeply regrettable, it's crazy," says the Father Andrew Cole, spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Nottingham, which includes Leicester.

King Richard III was a Catholic and was buried with full Catholic rites in a marked grave.
Father Cole says he does not mind which city he is finally laid to rest in but the church would like him reburied as soon as possible.

"What some people forget is his funeral has already happened," he says. "A Christian ceremony was held and his body was given back to God.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-26526790

A Christian ceremony and buried with Catholic rites? Seems to me he was dumped at Greyfriars. If it was a legitimate funeral and burial, why did he become a parking space?
Surely there would have been SOME record of it somewhere.

Sounds like Monty Python did the funeral.  ;D

BLAKDUKE

It seems that controversy will follow good king Richard even after 400 years.  Will he never receive peace????

DonaCatalina

Richard III got short shrift from Alison Weir in her new book as well.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Renee Buchanan

Since my husband and I are going to England next year to visit his family, I wrote to Leceister Cathedral asking if we could attend the service.  They wrote this long, flowery letter back.  Short answer:  no.

:-\
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Welsh Wench

From the above website, Renee--

For three days King Richard III will lie in repose, in his coffin covered with a commissioned pall, for any who wish to pay their respects. Special arrangements will be in place to allow as many as possible who wish to visit to do so.

Go ahead. Sneak in. Act like you own the place.
It works for me at Don Cesar's pool and hot tubs.  ;)

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 25, 2014, 12:02:30 PM

For three days King Richard III will lie in repose, in his coffin covered with a commissioned pall, for any who wish to pay their respects. Special arrangements will be in place to allow as many as possible who wish to visit to do so.

It would probably work too.
  On our visit to York Minster; the volunteers manning the gate didn't appear to be too overly vigilant about who had a pass or not.  Admission was 8 pounds 50p, so you know there were some that were just strolling in.  There was plenty to see in the 'free' area so we saved our money for Edinburgh.
   All the antiquities over there have a price tag; the towns and cities have to maintain their own attractions with little help from the government, so we tourists literally support the local church/ruins/castle.
   I have little doubt there will be the usual charge to get into Leicester Cathedral itself, even if they don't charge extra for the Richard III viewing.  I think it would be worth it.

As for the original burial service back in the 15th century: Richard would have had some sort of Catholic committal ceremony; especially if he was buried in a church in (then) consecrated ground.
   The monks would have made sure he was buried with the standard rites; just not the ones befitting a king.   He was devoutly religious, and they would not have ignored that; however, unless someone payed to have masses read for his soul he would have been buried, possibly in an unmarked grave, and soon forgotten. 
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 25, 2014, 12:02:30 PM

They did invite us to see the remains lying in state, but if we have to drive 4 hours each way, I want to go to the ceremony.  I will ask my sister-in-law if  they have any provisions for people who live on the UK wanting tickets.  Maybe she could get them and give them to us.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Welsh Wench

An interesting article just published. It seems Richard liked exotic food. And here is how they found out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/science/richard-iiis-rich-diet-of-fish-and-exotic-birds.html?_r=0

Mine would probably say, 'She sure loved pepsi and pizza.'

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 27, 2014, 11:36:09 AM
An interesting article just published. It seems Richard liked exotic food. And here is how they found out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/science/richard-iiis-rich-diet-of-fish-and-exotic-birds.html?_r=0

Mine would probably say, 'She sure loved pepsi and pizza.'

They pretty much ripped this article apart on the SCA cooks list:

http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/2014-August/411765.html

Just click through to see all the various replies. 

Captain Jack Wolfe

Another good write-up on this information, in The Independent: Swan, egret, heron: Revealed - the Richard III diet

"The findings of the research by experts from the British Geological Survey and the University of Leicester will be shown in a new documentary, Richard III: The New Evidence, to be shown [Sunday 17 August] at 9pm on Channel 4."

Though I'm sure it will turn up in the states soon enough.  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Rowan MacD

Interesting article shedding light on the last moments of Richard III...

http://io9.com/modern-forensics-reveal-gruesome-details-of-king-richar-1635759052

It seems to validate the contemporary descriptions of the posthumous treatment of the King's body.  His body was stripped (armor was considered spoils of war) and draped naked over the back of a horse.   Anybody who wanted to could stick a sword or spear in the corpse as it passed by, and many did just that.
IWG wench #3139