News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The search for Richard III

Started by Welsh Wench, August 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

DONNA C.

Not necessarily.  The traditional story is as you say, however there was never any definitive report of HOW Richard met his end.  It could very well have been by an arror in the back as he was riding toward Henry Tudor after having unhorsed and killed Henrys standard bearer. It seems that everyone did everything behind his back that day.

The BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Jack Wolfe

And in the first video on the page linked in post #12, the researchers acknowledge that if they have indeed found Richard this will most certainly rewrite the history texts, particularly where Tudor mythology is concerned.

Here's the latest update from the Beeb: Richard III dig: 'Strong evidence' bones are lost king

QuoteDNA will be extracted from the bones and tested against descendants of Richard's family.

Dr Turi King, who is leading the DNA analysis, said: "It is extremely exciting and slightly nerve-wracking.

"We have extracted teeth from the skull, so we have that and a femur, and we are optimistic we will get a good sample from those."

The tests are expected to take about 12 weeks to complete.

If their identity is confirmed, Leicester Cathedral said it would work with the Royal Household, and with the Richard III Society, to ensure the remains were treated with dignity and respect and reburied with the appropriate rites and ceremonies of the church.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

RenStarr

Here's somthing posted on Yahoo today. 

http://news.yahoo.com/battle-bruised-skeleton-may-king-richard-iii-121528688.html

I don't know if there's any new info in this report vs what's already been reported thru the BBC.  Thought I would post it anyways.
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

Welsh Wench

Which brings up another thought--

What if the battle had turned favorable for Richard? What would England have been like without the Tudors? Better or worse?

And a link of interest--

http://www.historum.com/speculative-history/20967-if-richard-iii-had-fled-bosworth-field-survived-fight-late-4.html
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Welsh Wench

Combining a previous topic on Richard III--

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=14699.15

To answer the question, the Stanleys always backed a winning side even if it was the last minute.
The move to crown Henry Tudor made Lord Stanley the step-father of the King.

http://www.r3ne.org/Worth8.html

DonaCatalina

I see that they finally dtermined that the second skeleton was female. Twelve weeks will seem like an eternity of waiting.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

I also noted something odd that they said about the female skeleton. The joints were all broken apart.
No What odd circumstanes led to a female being broken apart at the joints (drawing and quartering) and the buried under the floor of a church?
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Jack Wolfe

An interesting take on things from a Tudor historian: A Tudor historian's view of the Richard III excavations

She brings out quite rightly that not only should this spur a re-examination of Richard III, but the reputations of Thomas More and William Shakespeare thanks to their rather dubious characterisations of the monarch.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on September 17, 2012, 05:20:30 AM
I also noted something odd that they said about the female skeleton. The joints were all broken apart.
No What odd circumstances led to a female being broken apart at the joints (drawing and quartering) and the buried under the floor of a church?
That would make for an interesting sub-story....Drawing and quartering was a traitor's death (high treason) and I don't think they were allowed to be buried in hallowed ground after execution much less inside a church.
   Another question would be: If she was D&Q-why were her parts gathered back together to be buried? It was customary to display the body parts in different areas of the city.
  Perhaps she was not killed this way, but racked? 
  To add to the mystery: Only nobility, royals and the very wealthy rated a church burial.  I wonder who she was?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Welsh Wench

That is what Jack and I were talking about.
Who is she?

If she were a heretic, she would not have a burial in the presbytery.

Could it be a woman that they wanted to keep her death silent?
But then Greyfriars was a monastery of sorts.

Robert Herrick, the mayor of Leicester, bought it in 1612 and built a mansion there, fifty years after Henry VIII had it knocked down.
Could she have been down there from that time?

WHO IS SHE???
A new mystery to solve!

PollyPoPo

Joints all broken apart?  Phrasing might indicate a reburial, where bones were disinterred after soft tissues were gone. 

Are there any reports as to what was with the body in the way of shrouding, garments, etc.?
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

DonaCatalina

The phrasing for reburial after only skeletal parts remain is usually just that, skeletal remains. Stating that the joints were broken apart usually indicated visible stress on the bones where the cartilege and tendons were forcibly seperated. It would be interesting if they tested her bones for DNA or even dating.
One king's traitors were another king's heroines for much of English history. Post Mortem honors?
As for Will Shakepeare and Thomas Moore, it is pretty much a given that they played to the Tudors' vanities for their daily bread.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Jack Wolfe

I keep coming back to the "broken at the joints" wording as well, since that would indicate shearing trauma where the ligaments and tendons were pulled free from the bones. With no other remarkable trauma mentioned, she was quite probably broken on the rack for whatever reason. The post mortem honours angle is an interesting one. A martyr, perhaps? It's a fascinating mystery to be sure.

Regarding More and Shakespeare: a good many people don't know the history surrounding these men's patronage, so it can come as a surprise that what they've accepted as fact is indeed propaganda. My wife, for instance, hadn't pieced it together until I got her to reason on the history. Unfortunately, this is another case where the Big Lie principle worked.

Here is a link to the video of last week's press conference about the discovery: Video of the Richard III discovery Press Conference

Welsh Wench

You have to wonder, too, if the Battle of Bosworth would have been necessary if Richard's ten year old son Edward had lived. He would have inherited the throne and perhaps Richard's death would have been not warranted.

I do hope they rewrite history but I won't hold my breath.
Some people prefer the myth rather than the truth.

I hope too that he is buried in his beloved Yorkshire.

Now if we can only find out who the female is......