News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The search for Richard III

Started by Welsh Wench, August 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

The article mentioned that if the skeleton is Richard's, he will be 'reburied with appropriate ritual'.
   I am hoping that will not mean he will be stuck back under the parking lot.   I didn't see any mention of making the site a permanent site to be visited. 
  I wonder where Richard (if it is him) will end up?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Captain Jack Wolfe

The Richard III Foundation are already calling for him to be buried in his native York, which is, I feel, only appropriate.

Time for King Richard III to "Come Home to York", says Foundation
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Rowan MacD

Yes, I was hoping he would be buried in York Minster.  I took some video there in '09 when we stopped in York on the way to Edinburgh.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Jack Wolfe

A piece on the descendent of Richard III's sister Anne, the man whose genetic profile quite possibly holds the key to this archaeological mystery.

Richard III dig: From cabinet-maker to kingmaker
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

"A number of manuscripts belonging to Richard III, which include a prayer book, a guide on how to be a good king, and literary texts in three languages have survived. These books show him as a learned, devotional and cultured medieval monarch", says historian Michael Wood.

He believes these texts are the only way of "getting behind the Tudor myth... When you look at the manuscripts you forget Shakespeare's legend of the hunchback which dominates everyone's imagination".

"He was a legitimately crowned king so the Tudors had to portray themselves as successors delivering the country from a wicked tyrant. The image of him as wicked is entirely spawned by Tudor propaganda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19572103

Michael Wood is the historian who also brought us The Story of England on PBS where they take the village of Kibworth and tell the history of England through one town in Leicestershire.

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

BLAKDUKE

I believe I mentioned this little tidbit in a previous thread, but Henry was able to pull off this major usurpation of the crown and have Richard declared traitor by dating his reign from august 21st instead of august 22nd.  The 22nd was the actual date not the 21st.  But by doing this he made Richard the traitor by warring on the King(Henry).  He could also declare anyone that fought for Richard a traitor and thereby sieze their lands.   And they had the nerve to call Richard devious  Ha.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Jack Wolfe

A rather fascinating article on the Greyfriars, and how they became intertwined with Richard III.

Richard III and the Lost World of Greyfriars

The contributor's novel looks like an interesting read, as well.

DonaCatalina

Interesting reading. December is going to e a long wait.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

iain robb

I thought he was buried in a backyard in suburban Detroit. Oh, wait, no, that didn't pan out.

BLAKDUKE

Captain Jack Wolfe

An online petition for Richard to be returned to his native York is up and active. Here's your chance to let your opinion be heard.

Link for more information: PRESS RELEASE: YORK PETITION LAUNCHED AS 'RICHARD III' DEBATE GOES GLOBAL

For those not big on reading press releases, here's the petition itself: TIME FOR KING RICHARD III TO COME HOME TO YORK

Welsh Wench

Richard should go home to York. He loved it there.

I just read The Goldsmith's Wife by Jean Plaidy about Jane Shore, mistress of Edward IV and brother of Richard.
In the end, she supported the theory that Henry Tudor was responsible.

It was written in 1950 and an excellent read.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

DonaCatalina

One cannot discount the fact that Sir James Tyrrell, the loyal servant of Richard III who is said to have confessed to the murder of the princes in 1502, could have been paid for his confession by Thomas More.
The Queen has resisted all calls for DNA testing of the bones in the urn, which is even more odd since DNA testing is being done on bones suspected to be Richard III.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

BLAKDUKE

Well I believe we can discount it.  More did not begin his 'History of Richard III'  until 1505.  So what reason would he have had to pay Tyrell for any info 5 years before he was involved in the whole mess.  I am inclined to discount any info coming from the
"sainted(?) More".  Certainly none of his writings on R.III could be considered contemporary.  True he was alive at the time of R.III, but he was 6 years old when Richard died at Bosworth.  Also he was H VIII historian.  If he wanted to keep his head he would say nothing approaching the truth about Richard.  One only has to read his garbage to realize that.  Supposedly he(Richard) spent 2 years in the womb, came out full grown covered in hair, with teeth and hunchbacked.  Of course he lost his head anyway so much good it did him.