News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The search for Richard III

Started by Welsh Wench, August 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

I would love to know the relationship of the woman (if any) that was buried there.
The romantic and fanciful in me would like to believe it was a mistress that followed him into battle.

I still would like to see him buried in York. I think he spent enough time in Leicester (under a carpark.)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Rowan MacD

I can't wait for the news.
After that- I wonder if they will televise the (re) interment of the remains.
It would great if they would allow a reenactment society to stage a 'period' funeral for him. This would be a fantastic opportunity to teach living history...  
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

dbaldock

Just subscribed to Archaeology Magazine, http://www.archaeology.org/, and they've got at least one article about Richard III that can be read online.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Rowen MacD on January 04, 2013, 12:31:00 PM
 I can't wait for the news.
After that- I wonder if they will televise the (re) interment of the remains.
It would great if they would allow a reenactment society to stage a 'period' funeral for him. This would be a fantastic opportunity to teach living history...  

I think under current British Law that if it is proved to be Richard III, there are set protocols for the State funeral. I also think that Parliament has to approve it. So it could get a bit sticky. Has anyone heard if the Crown has offered an opinion on a State funeral?
I know we have a few connections to GB here.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Lady Renee Buchanan

It's him!  I saw it this morning when I turned on the computer.  He will be buried in Leicester.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Bob of the Lake

Yes! I heard it on the radio this morning--it's official!

Here's a BBC News article about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

(Edited to add URL)
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Welsh Wench

Wonderful!
OK so they don't bury him in York.

I wonder if this will open the door into looking for the Princes in the Tower. Maybe Queen Liz will consent to the testing of the bones found on Tower property.

I do love a good English mystery to go with my tea and scones.

Now about that woman found with Richard........

LadyFae

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 04, 2013, 09:23:27 AM
Wonderful!
OK so they don't bury him in York.

I wonder if this will open the door into looking for the Princes in the Tower. Maybe Queen Liz will consent to the testing of the bones found on Tower property.

I do love a good English mystery to go with my tea and scones.

Now about that woman found with Richard........

Yes, my thoughts as well.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

RenStarr

Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

DonaCatalina

How interesting that the second descendant wanted to remain anonymous.
Maybe they'll get permission to look fot eh princes in the Tower.
or even look for the real body of Edward VI.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

I wonder what the amount would be in parking meter money if they charged him for parking his carcass there.

Seriously, I hope this opens the way to do forensics on the bones found at the Tower. I'd love to know what happened to the princes.

I think Richard knew of it but 'what he didn't know didn't hurt him'.  Until Henry Tudor came along.

I still wonder what it would have been like if the Tudors hadn't seized the crown. Would the Spanish Armada still have happened, making Britain Queen of the Seas?
Would we never have Shakespeare?
No Church of England so would they be a Catholic nation?
No monasteries pulled down so no archaeology finds because they were still there?

Interesting things to ponder.

LadyStitch

I know the thought of genetic testing is a bit testy for the royal family starting with Queen Victoria.  If somehow it was proved that she was NOT the rightful heir to the throne, do you realize how much 'fertilizer' would hit the fan  across Europe?  She was considered the "grandmother" of Europe because she married all her children off to the royal families of Europe.  I just think that if the testing could effect the royal line of succession, it will NEVER be done.  If it is to identify remains, it is a good possibility the royal family will allow it to proceed. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Welsh Wench

Enough fertilizer for all the potatoes in Ireland?

OK the reconstruction has been revealed. Take the cloth off the bust and here he is...
The one....the only....

RICHARD THE THIRD!!!!