News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The search for Richard III

Started by Welsh Wench, August 26, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 05, 2013, 12:44:43 PM
Enough fertilizer for all the potatoes in Ireland?
That pretty much sums it up.  I tried to see who would have gotten the crown, and it made my head hurt.  It IS really cool what they can do with computers now. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Welsh Wench

I'm wondering how the line of succession could be affected.

Richard had a son who died before he did. No heirs.

The princes--if they were murdered--had no heirs.

The Battle of Bosworth would have gone just the way it did so I can't see where the problem would lie in succession.
No heirs were left to claim the throne.

If Bosworth hadn't happened or had a different outcome, Richard could have had more children and they would have inherited.

Very interesting indeed. I love 'what if's'.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 05, 2013, 12:44:43 PM
Enough fertilizer for all the potatoes in Ireland?

OK the reconstruction has been revealed. Take the cloth off the bust and here he is...
The one....the only....

RICHARD THE THIRD!!!!

That is amazing.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyStitch

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 05, 2013, 08:02:26 PM
I'm wondering how the line of succession could be affected. Richard had a son who died before he did. No heirs.The princes--if they were murdered--had no heirs. The Battle of Bosworth would have gone just the way it did so I can't see where the problem would lie in succession. No heirs were left to claim the throne. If Bosworth hadn't happened or had a different outcome, Richard could have had more children and they would have inherited. Very interesting indeed. I love 'what if's'.
My comment regarding line of succession was in response to royal family allowing DNA testing of their ancestors.  The testing of Richard III, not a big problem.  The testing of anyone Queen Victoria and below, major problem. If it was proved anyone them were NOT from the issue of George III, the whole royal line of succession would be a major FUBAR. If Victoria was NOT, the daughter of the Duke of Kent the crown would have gone to her uncle Eurnest Agustus the Duke of Cumberland who was German.  That royal line lost it's claim to the British crown by the Titles Deprivation Act of 1917 by George V.  If that was negated, it would mean that Prince Ernst August of Hanover born in 1954 would be king. Consequently, he is currently married to his 2nd wife Princess Caroline of Monaco.  He has a son that was born in 1983, who because of other inter marriages is 50 something currently in line for the crown.  However because of the Bill of Rights of 1689 and the Acts of Settlement 1701 Parliament could say who is the rightful sovereign of the realm.  If Parliament said someone was King/ Queen they ARE the King/ Queen.  Like I said, my head hurts from all that.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Richard III discussion.  ;D
My next question is, what will become of the car park?  Technically that is the resting place of royalty. Will a special area be  set aside with a plaque, or statue to show where he laid?  Kind of reminds me of the historical marker that was stuck between two buildings in my home town.
That is why I said
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Welsh Wench

I find Queen Elizabeth's lack of interest in a major coup in British history a bit.....how shall I say? Disturbing? That she won't be attending the funeral.

I would go dressed to the nines. With a big Kentucky Derby hat.

And the fact that she won't allow the testing of DNA on the bones found on the Tower grounds.

I'll bet Dr Who could find them.

Maybe there should be an episode where the Doctor goes back in time to Bosworth.

Welsh Wench

Sent to me by NoBill Lurker.   ;D

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

National Geographic is advertising a special on Richard III to be aired starting this Sunday, April 21, 9pm/8 central.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

I'll be watching!   Has there been any further info on when the (re) burial will be?  The most recent info I have is this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-21786634  from March 17th.
    The cathedral at Leicester has notified it's architects regarding construction of a tomb.   We may have to wait until that is completed before he is officially re-interred.   
   What do you think about the issue of a Catholic burial service?
   The Anglican church did not exist when he died, and he was a devout Catholic, as most of the rulers of the christian world were at that time.

Edit: I did find this:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21427369
  I like this proposal for the tomb design.   Another artcial said that the original grave site will be preserved as part of a museum.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Welsh Wench

Thanks for the notice on the National Geographic special, Dona!

I agree, if Richard had lived, there probably would not have been the Anglican church. That was Henry VIII's doing.
Richard was Catholic, give him a Catholic funeral.
And send him to York.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Welsh Wench on April 18, 2013, 11:03:54 PM
Thanks for the notice on the National Geographic special, Dona!

I agree, if Richard had lived, there probably would not have been the Anglican church. That was Henry VIII's doing.
Richard was Catholic, give him a Catholic funeral.
And send him to York.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an aside
In the Kendall biography, I believe it was mentioned, that one of the reasons for the Stanleys defection was that Richard had indicated, as noted in some of the extant documents of the times, that he was going to drastically change things after the battle.  There is nothing surviving that denotes what those changes would be, but if the Stanleys thought they were going to lose stature, that might have swayed them to turn traitor.   
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Welsh Wench

Maybe they misunderstood and he was just going to redecorate the castle.

RenStarr

Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

DonaCatalina

Quote from: RenStarr on May 24, 2013, 07:12:28 AM
FYI............new article I found on yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/battle-bruised-king-richard-iii-buried-hasty-grave-230501174.html
"The study also delineates the 10 injuries on the corpse's skeleton. Most are likely battle wounds, including two fatal blows to the back of the head."

Since he was leading a charge, who betrayed him from behind?
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess