News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help me make an ensemble out of this?

Started by gem, September 07, 2012, 12:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

So... I'm trying to combine a few pieces into a fun (FUN!) look, nothing remotely historically accurate, or even traditionally wenchy, and I'm hoping you guys have some fun ideas.

I have this white corset (from a Comic-Con costume that alas did not come to pass--the costume came to pass, just not the trip to Comic-Con!):

And this pretty, purply-wine chemise (full length):

The chemise is a heavy rayon with allover teeny-tiny floral embroidery. The corset is satin. I was thinking maybe something like black and white stripey socks and maryjanes, and maybe a petal skirt of some kind? Maybe even some fairy wings?

Any ideas for pieces, colors, accessories, *headwear*? Milord has been telling me my ensembles of late have been leaning toward the "prim" (see avatar photo; I do a lot of HA middles), so it would be fun to do something more silly and saucy!

Thanks!

Auryn

hmmm maybe most definitely some vertically striped stockings

ohhh you could become an ice fairy
get to play with icey blue makeup and have icicles dangling all over for pretties
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

isabelladangelo

I'm thinking steampunk - a skirt with LOTS of ruffles, hitched up in the front, with Victorian-esque boots.  A nice little top hat and a pocket watch. 

gem

Oh, curse you, Isabella, and your enabling ways! I was just getting used to the fairy idea, and you come along with your gears and goggles...  :D

raevyncait

the corset and chemise could work in both scenarios, so my vote is BOTH!
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

CenturiesSewing

Lady Gregory

You ladies amaze me with your creativity so take my idea with a grain of salt, lol.

Gem, you know I am a new Moresca convert, but I am sure you could probably reproduce their Gypsy skirt yourself.  I would do the black/wine trimmed version, which would pull out/compliment the colors of your corset (black trim) and chemise.  It bustles amazingly and would work well for both steampunk and fairy and also reverses to all black.  It is next on my wish list. 

For the fairy, I would do a wine/grape harvest fairy of some sort, perhaps with a grapevine wreath to grace your head and wings with complimentary tones.  I would incorporate some metallic into the design as well.  You could even hang a glass jug/decanter filled with red wine from your belt.  I think you could have a lot of fun with this theme, especially if you share samples of your "craft".

isabelladangelo

Quote from: gem on September 07, 2012, 04:04:44 PM
Oh, curse you, Isabella, and your enabling ways! I was just getting used to the fairy idea, and you come along with your gears and goggles...  :D

Hehehe...

You know, if you got rid of the purple shirt, you could do the whole Emma Frost thing.  After all, this was from Comic con, right?

Auryn

I say Do them ALL

I mean, really the only changes would be in some accessories and you would have a wonderfully versatile outfit that could follow whatever whim you happen to be on.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

gem

I kind of love you guys. Centuries, that sketch is exquisite, and you know you had me at peacock blue.  :D And that mask? Totally making that this week.

I love the direction all your minds are going in! I'm going to poke around parts of garb racks today that I normally never look at, and see what I can come up with that I *don't* have to make, since my costuming list is pretty packed with, you know, prim middles! LOL