News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Renlist - a new faire directory!

Started by theChuck, August 28, 2012, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theChuck

I wanted to announce to everyone a new faire directory that I built. It's called The Renlist - http://www.therenlist.com/. It uses automation to stay as up to date as possible, so hopefully it'll be useful to people. Overall it should make finding faires near you much easier. People can also submit their own additions and changes to faires if they want.

I'd be interested in any comments or questions or people have, so I guess respond here or PM me if you want.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

The Lady Mercedes

Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up! :)
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Lady Gregory

Merlin the Elder

Cool idea.  Rabbi, you need to get your faire listed. I'm not sure of it's exact coordinates.

theChuck, the Pittsburgh Ren Fest is listed a bit far to the west. It should be in Pennsylvania rather than Tulsa...just thought I'd let you know.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Sir Stout

Wow, this in fantastic! Thanks so much, theChuck - I'm sure your site will see a lot if use!

Josh
I'm the kind of guy who needs to have a game plan.  Unfortunately, I'm also the kind of guy who never has a game plan.

dbaldock

A few years back, I created a Google Earth KMZ file that shows the location of more than 500 Ren Faires & Celtic Festivals worldwide.  The logistics of trying to maintain both the "By Month" and "By Location" sections of the file, using just the editing capabilities of the Google Earth interface, is what caused me to give up on the project.

What I wanted to do is extract the Data into a proper Database, and then create a web-based interface (similar to what you've done), that would allow easy queries for users without requiring a login, and also allow Admins to login and maintain the Database.  But, while I'm pretty good at writing AWK scripts, and some PERL, I don't know enough to write a secure web interface for a Database.

My several years out of date KMZ file is available here (although the big events probably haven't changed dates too much) -

http://sites.google.com/site/dbaldock9/kmlfiles

- if you'd like to import any location data into your system.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

theChuck

Thanks for the kind words, all. Here's hoping people use it more than once..

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 29, 2012, 08:08:52 AM
theChuck, the Pittsburgh Ren Fest is listed a bit far to the west. It should be in Pennsylvania rather than Tulsa...just thought I'd let you know.

Ha, that is... very correct. Google Maps seems to have a really hard time understanding the Pittsburgh address, but I've corrected it. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote from: dbaldock
Insert Quote
A few years back, I created a Google Earth KMZ file that shows the location of more than 500 Ren Faires & Celtic Festivals worldwide.  The logistics of trying to maintain both the "By Month" and "By Location" sections of the file, using just the editing capabilities of the Google Earth interface, is what caused me to give up on the project.

Yeah, gEarth can be a bit wonky. The site really only has fairs with websites - some quantifiable way that I can tell when a fair is going to happen. Anyway, I've just pulled down your list, and I'll write some sort of script to pull useful data out of the XML file. Thanks for pointing me to your data!

If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please let me know!

Thorr

Merlin the Elder

Are you encouraging "civilians" to provide data, or would you prefer faire management?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

theChuck

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 30, 2012, 07:39:00 AM
Are you encouraging "civilians" to provide data, or would you prefer faire management?

Anyone who wants to contribute can do so. I was really just looking to get something out the door for people to use, and then see if/how faires want to add to it. I'm really open to anything.

Quote from: Thorr on August 30, 2012, 03:22:49 AM
TN ren is missing   :'(

It's not missing - it's just that it didn't have any upcoming dates (I haven't run the script in awhile). I just updated the dates, so it should show up now.

raevyncait

Pirate Days of Texas has been cancelled for this year
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

The Lady Mercedes

Also the Palm Springs Ren Faire is no more. :(
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

theChuck

Lady Mercedes, raevyncait: thanks for the update. I've updated the posts to reflect that.

dbaldock

Quote from: raevyncait on August 30, 2012, 08:21:45 PM

That's too bad, since it's written up in the latest edition of the Southwest Celtic Music Association _Céilí_ magazine (Vol. 31, No. 5, September/October 2012).
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Kett

Quote from: dbaldock on August 30, 2012, 11:25:19 PM
Quote from: raevyncait on August 30, 2012, 08:21:45 PM

That's too bad, since it's written up in the latest edition of the Southwest Celtic Music Association _Céilí_ magazine (Vol. 31, No. 5, September/October 2012).

This makes me sad :(