News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Canadian Rennies Visiting in October!

Started by Orphena, August 31, 2012, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Greetings!

For the weekend of October 20 - 21st, Myself, m'lord, and 2 of our friends will be visiting your shire! M'lord and I had the priviledge of visiting about 5 years ago, but our friends who are long time rennies have not! We are very much looking forward to the trip, and meeting you!

Thought I would introduce myself here, and meet some people we might encounter!

Lady Orphena Swanbee
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

McGuinness

Welcome, and welcome back! You'll probably see me around somewhere. I'm on the professional acting company, and you'll know me as Lady Elizabeth Throckmorton. Enjoy your trip down....we're a different kind of ren faire, from what I've been told.

Orphena

Thanks for the Welcome Eileen!

Can you tell me - is it still possible to buy tickets for day 2 later in the day on Day one? I seem to remember we did that last year!

McGuinness

Yes it is. Here's a link to this year's program...the info is on the very last page (or back of the program). $15 for adults when purchased at the Infomistress (right inside the front gate) after 2pm.

http://www.parenfaire.com/assets/pdfs/ETimes2012.pdf

Orphena

Thanks Eileen!

I am wondering if any of you "locals" can help me. You see, we are planning to drive down, through New York, and then to the faire area. We already have a local hotel booked for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. We are considering whether it wouild be worth our while to take an extra day for this trip. For my Hubby and I, this is our "Big" vacation - I have to take 5 days in a row off, so I have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday off.

We are considering leaving on Thursday (It is about a 7 hour drive for us, so only driving on Friday will work for us), finding a cheaper hotel with a Roomsaver Coupon, and taking our sweet time. The problem is, I cannot find any well priced things to do on our way down. I looked at Hershey, but in all honesty, it seems a little bit of a cash grab. Amusement parks are closed for the year (Remember, we would only be looking for things to do on either the Thursday or the Friday), ziplining and horseback riding is quite expensive, there are very few decent sized zoos available.

Does anyone have suggestions of fun things to do on our way down to the faire? We are 4 adults, in our 30s, and traveling on a budget!

Thanks!

McGuinness

I don't know that they would be on your way, but there may be more stuff in Harrisburg or Lancaster (malls and outlets, some shows and theaters, etc). Hershey is a great area and there is some excellent dining and all that. If you are into ice hockey at all, the Hershey Bears (the American Hockey League affiliate of the Washington Capitals) may be playing and tickets are fairly inexpensive.

Do you know what cities are nearby on your route? PA and NY are pretty wide states so "on the way" can vary depending on which way you're coming!

arbcoind

Orphena

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Gina - Have you tried any of the stuff you posted about? Any suggestions as to what specifically to make time for? I need to sell this idea to the rest of the group, so details would be fantabulous! Thanks for the well wishes!

Eileen - we are coming from the border, and Google maps has us travelling thru Buffalo, Amity, Hornell, Bath, and Corning to the border of Pennsylvania, then through Mansfield, Trout Run, Williamsport, Milton and Danville. Our Main Hotel is in Lebanon. Basically if you were to draw a line from Buffalo to the area of the faire, that's our route, with a few twists to follow the way the roads go!

That said, I am willing to divert to a different route (and I'm the navigator, so I have the power!) for something worthwhile. We wont actually be using that exct route as I have a better map program that won't inflict roaming charges, but it is close enough for discussion!

GoodyTombShoes

Longwood Gardens, Plain and Fancy restaurant with buggy rides in Lancaster, Gettysburg once you're down here. On the way? Jim Thorpe, PA the town, the legend, the train ride around the horseshoe ridge. The Finger Lakes area in New York hosts a lot of wine themed events. I've also stopped in the Tioga Forest for a walk thru the pines.
Ale's a strong wrestler, flings all it has met. And makes the ground slip, even when it's not wet
IWG #3733

arbcoind

Orphena,

http://www.visitpa.com/harrisburg-city-island

My travels to Harrisburg and Lancaster were loosely planned and in the summer and were 8 years ago.  Harrisburg is a smaller city along the Susquehanna River.  The city is pretty easy to navigate and when I was there we parked the car, got out and walked around.  Being it was summer time, there were several outdoor things to see and enjoy along the riverfront.

My trip to Lancaster was pretty much the same thing and also in the summer.  I did tour an Amish farm, but cannot remember which one.  There are shopping outlets galore in Lancaster.  I'm not sure when peak leaf color is in Central PA, but you might just hit it about right.  

Gina

BubbleWright

If you have the time, visit the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, PA, a few miles west of Lancaster. It is most wondrous! Then visit the Turkey Hill Experience, also in Columbia, for lunch and ice cream. Check either web site for a combo ticket for both. (PS- You don't have to buy a ticket to eat at Turkey Hill, just to see the interactive exhibits)

http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/museumlibrary

http://turkeyhillexperience.com/turkey-hill-experience/turkey-hill-experience.asp

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

BubbleWright

Lady Orphena... barring any upheaval in the Universe, I should be at PARF October 20th. I'm usually outside the Gates near the Fountain with the Renaissance Bubble Machine. Please stop to introduce yourself and your party.  Your humble servant, The Bubble Wright.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Orphena

BubbleWright - looking forward to meeting you!

Can anyone who has stood in the line suggest a good time to arrive if we wish to be close to the front of the line? I understand the gates do not open until 11, but I seem to remember that the line can get quite long. Most faires I attend I aim for 45 minutes beforehand, but every faire is different!

Also - how early do the ticket sellers open? We have been to faires that allow us to purchase tickets, then wait to enter, and others that you purchase tickets as you enter, and some that you must wait until the ticket sellers arrive!

So looking forward to visiting your Shire! I have many fond memories of our last trip!

BubbleWright

The ticket windows open shortly after 10 AM, so 10:15 would be perfect. You purchase your tickets before the Gate opens and present them as you pass through. The Gate usually opens a few minutes before 11 AM, just after the Queen arrives and is greeted.

Antoine de St. Exupery

Orphena

Thanks for the Info, Bubblewright! We shall be there around 10 or so!

I have a query about savings - I have been scouring the web for coupons and the like, and I noted that there are discount tickets avaibale at Some Burger Kings, Hess stores, and Turkey Hill Stores. Can anyone tell me whether it is worth our while to make a stop at one of those places? Are there still coupons available? Are they valid for this coming weekend? Do we save more that way than online, or in person with a costume?

(As near as I can tell, Online and In person with a costume is the same price  of $25.95).

I've just been looking at our vacation budget, and trying to save at least a little bit on money!

Thanks!

GoodyTombShoes

the online is cheaper. Last time I saw the coupons in a store they were only $3 off. Buy your day's entrance and after 3pm you can get return tickets for $15 for Sunday.
Ale's a strong wrestler, flings all it has met. And makes the ground slip, even when it's not wet
IWG #3733

BubbleWright

Lady Orphena... What a pleasure to meet you. I saw you about in the lanes and you seemed to be having a good time with both the cast and playtrons. Hopefully your visit to the Shire of Mt. Hope was as nice as the weather.   ;D ;D ;D

Antoine de St. Exupery