News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Is there such a thing as "too much" research?

Started by LibraryPrincess, September 06, 2012, 07:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibraryPrincess

So, in fiddling around with yet another faire character idea, I stumbled across a certain Polish princess. Unfortunately, Wikipedia does not see it fit to give this girl her own article, but that didn't stop my curiosity. I checked out what it had to say about her family memebers and her husband.

You guys, I did not expect the rabbit hole to go this far down. I think I've stumbled across an interesting little story, filled with romance and drama and danger! But I can't really confirm this, since this is just stuff I've pulled together from Wikipedia articles (don't judge :P ), and I really don't know that much about 16th Century Eastern European politics. Hopefully such a class will be included in earning my minor in history. ^_^

I'll certainly carry on with using this character for faire, but I think there's a decent historical fiction novel to be written here.

It's not a new obsession....promise.
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival

scarletnyx

I can kinda see where you're coming from, and here are my two cents ( Just my two cents, take them with the complimentary grain of salt they come with )

When I was doing research for my first faire character, a Druid, I spent -hours- reading different resources from all different corners of the Web. From Wikipedia, to Nat Geo articles on their archaeological finds, to different current druid organizations. When I finally got to fair and told people I was a druid... People wanted to add onto my research. I think I got about 5 different versions of their history and what they mean from 3 different people. I just wanted a character that went with my staff I bought, and it was either this or some sort of Shaman character. I love my Druid character, and after doing a full year of her at faire, I will not retire her for the world. I am thankful for all those people telling me their views, and I listened earnestly to all of them, but it was abit.. Overwhelming especially given all the social pressures I felt around me at the time.

Now, this was my first year "making the circuit" if you will, so I don't know how much was well intention prodding to make sure I "knew what I was playing", or my current theory that the Druid archetype just allows people to put whatever they want onto that archetype.

I think most people need to strike a balance. have enough to answer questions when Danes and rennies alike ask you, but still keep in mind that this is a big game of historical dress up and at the end of the day, It's all in fun. Learn for learning's sake, not to be able to rattle off facts to people. I know some people will get into verbal fights about history ( like all things, you can put your own spin on history ) so I just like to keep it pretty simple.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

DonaCatalina

If you enjoy it...why not research?
The people around you at faire will come at it from all different perspectives from 'wear whatever to fit in' to people like me who know four generations of their family.
When people 'prod you to make sure you know who you are playing', just smile and nod. Don't let nit pickers ruin your enjoyment of fair, or of your journey of discovery that is researching your character.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Aderin

I love all the points made here, especially scarletnyx's that much of the time, history has it's own spin based off the author. How true!

If I were you, I'd stick to the one story that speaks to you most, or whichever site seems most credible. Nobody can claim the truth unless they were there or have seen the evidence. If you see artifacts then rejoice!

There's a lot of great library books that cover such artifacts and lore, such as on the celts and romans. Ahhh, I love the celts!  :D

Best of luck to thee!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

iain robb

I'd add to what Scarletnyx said by mentioning that no one takes historical accuracy to its logical ends.

What I mean is, no one (as far as I can tell) has tried to burn Scarletnyx at the stake for being an unrepentant pagan, even though that would be the historically accurate response.

So do the research if you enjoy it, and put together the character as you wish, and if anyone has a problem with it, take Scarletnyx to them and say, "Hey, if you want to be historically accurate, we ought to burn her at the stake for being an unrepentant pagan."

Then they will either see the error of their ways, or you can slip away while they're gathering firewood. :)