News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Aglets/bolo tips

Started by gem, September 06, 2012, 09:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I found some while hunting down my grommet setter, and think they might nicely finish off the laces of FIL's doublet, but I'm not sure what to actually do with them. What's the best way to affix them to the laces?

The ones I have are like these:

Sunshine

Looks like you're supposed to crimp the edges to the cord (and maybe the holes are for sewing a few stiches between, like buttons?), but I confess I'd probably just try glue and see if it survived the washing machine.

Margaret

What I usually do with those is stuff the ribbon as far in as I can get it, then sew it in through the holes in the top.  Just take as many stitches as you need to make it feel secure and then crimp the pointy edges in. 

Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Ser Niall

I bought those same bolo tips on ebay for my doublet.  I was just planning on putting a dab of glue in there, and then putting a few stitches through the hole.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

PollyPoPo

Just a query, but would those bolo tips be H/A in any way or maybe a modern version of something H/A?  I've never noticed them on garb, but then maybe they just blend in so they were invisible to my eye.

I am absolutely not historically accurate in my faire garb, but have always wondered what those would be good for other than bolo ties (in faire or mundane garb). 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Ser Niall

Quote from: PollyPoPo on September 07, 2012, 08:38:54 AM

Just a query, but would those bolo tips be H/A in any way or maybe a modern version of something H/A?  I've never noticed them on garb, but then maybe they just blend in so they were invisible to my eye.

I am absolutely not historically accurate in my faire garb, but have always wondered what those would be good for other than bolo ties (in faire or mundane garb). 

I don't know if they're H/A, but they've been on pretty much every doublet I've seen.  They are attached to the ends of the cords used to tie the doublet sleeves to the main body.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Margaret

Back in the day, if the Nobs could embellish it, they would.   :D

It is HA to have some sort of shiney bit on the end of your points (if you could afford it) but they did not look like the cone shaped bolo tips there. 

I can't attatch pics here at work, so could someone help a girl out here?
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Rowan MacD

Margaret,
 I don't have pics, but I have seen gold and silver balls or ball-like beads sewn or tied to the points.  Is that what you mean?
  There is another version..
  The closest thing I can find right off is this:
http://www.moresca.com/product_info.php?products_id=16
   On the arm band ties....They kind of look like metal crimps.

On Aglets-I hot glue to cord ends,  and stitch to ribbon...

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Auryn

gem
personally I would do all 3- I am a fan of redundancy when it comes to securing something.
I would put a drop of glue inside, sew a few stitches through the top and crimp it all in

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

gem

Thanks, all!

As it turns out, I won't be using them after all, as they're too big to fit through the grommets! Ha!  But they're in my stash, and I'll know for next time.

Aiglets are DEFINITELY period. They're frequently seen on points--the ties or laces that hold your clothes together, commonly breeches to doublets, etc. They keep the ends from fraying as you feed them through your eyelets, just like the shrink-plastic eyelets on your modern shoelaces. I couldn't quickly find a period image, but this fellow, by Tudor Tailor author Ninya Mikhaila, has a bunch of 'em: http://www.ninyamikhaila.com/galleries_c16th_groomofbuckhounds.htm

(Obviously they would also have run into the same issue I did, of the aiglet being too large for the eyelet, but a lot of laces don't need to come completely undone for you to dress.)

They are probably NOT period for tying men's sleeves to doublets. From what we can tell, men's sleeves weren't detachable, the way women's were. Here's an interesting discussion of this issue.

However, they're damn cool, and interchangeable sleeves are damn cool (also literally, for running about hot Renfairs!). So I say up with aiglets! LOL

ETA: Found a crazy portrait from 1567. This is not how most of us today would deploy our aiglets, but here ya go:

(Seriously hoping that little girl on the right isn't intending on eating what's on her plate!)

sir richard of galena

Gem
i love the aglets where did you get them?
I am looking for some like that
the only ones I have found are from  www.pillaged village.com
C M'Crack

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I also order Bolo Tips in Gold and Silver from www.firemountaingems.com

I use cord or ribbon for ties. I make sure the Ribbon is tied at the end before stuffing into the Bolo Tip. With a paifr of Needle Nose pliers, I bend in the end tips to secure the ribbon.

With the Cord, I make sure it's well stuffed, then bend in the end tips.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Ser Niall

Quote from: sir richard of galena on September 07, 2012, 09:06:04 PM
Gem

I purchased mine from ebay.  They're either the same as gem's, or very similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310402117663?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also purchased this style, not sure which one I'll use yet.  These are threaded, so you can thread the cording into the end, and secure with some glue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bolo-Tie-Tips-Brass-Lot-of-20-/271052292283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1bf9c0bb

gem

Actually, I have no idea where I got mine; it's entirely possible they just bred in my stash! LOL That picture I just grabbed from the internet, although it looks like it's from place called (logically enough?) Simply Pie.

operafantomet

The main idea behind aglets was to avoid the cord to fray, and to make it easier to get the cord through the lacing holes. Usually when aglet appears in an outfit, there's some function to them.

As for detachable sleeves in men's doublets, it sure existed. At least in Italy, where they could be buttoned or attached by hooks under shoulder wings, or laced decoratively. A portrait of Francesco I de' Medici shows lacing with gold aglets on his shoulders, and a doublet with "double sleeves" is documented in the wardrobe of his younger brother Pietro: See the male version of "Moda a Firenze" (particularly page 68) for references.

It's also common to have a lot of cords and aglets around the waist. This is because the breeches usually was tied to the doublet to stay in place. The funeral outfit of young Garzia de' Medici still have a couple in place:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/extant/garziamedici1562.jpg

Rowan MacD

Quote from: sir richard of galena on September 07, 2012, 09:06:04 PM
Gem
I get mine from Brazen Button.  I also buy form Pillaged Village.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Ser Niall

Another source for aiglets that I stumbled upon.   Cording with the aiglets already attached.  They're pretty pricey, but if you don't want to make them up yourself it's an option.

http://www.revivalclothing.com/armingpointswithmetalaglets.aspx

Ms Trish

Has anyone found any yet that are narrow enough to slip through a 00 grommet?
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

gusjodi

Ser Niall

gusjodi, those are the same ones I used for my sleeve ties.  I bought them from ebay, but that site has a better price.  I found they work very well, I just used a dab of glue and crimped the ends with needlenose pliers.  They look nice too.

gusjodi

I agree, they just make everything look more finished. :)