News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Next year?

Started by Sir Douglas of Waterbury, September 09, 2012, 10:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

Whats on your wish list for next season? Entertainment, Grounds, Artisan, New Food, other? Can't make any promises but i'm listening.

irish

Well now, Duncan Inches....aka, William Shakespeare.....would be wonderful!! Have missed his wonderful performances!

Sterling used to handout a list of sayings in the Elizabethan language, so visitors could express, learn and understand what was being said to them. I saw many visitors with puzzled looks on their faces, this past season!

Also, a way to buy discounted tickets, without the extra handling  charges? I want to buy 10 tickets (5 for each person), would I have to pay handling charge on each one?  
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

NicoleBridget

A larger, more dazzling royal court.  It may not be economically feasible these days but there was once a time when Sterling had, in addition to her majesty, 6 noblewomen, 6 noblemen and the cardinal in attendance.  The women were beautiful and dressed in spectacular gowns, the men were incredibly dashing and dressed to match them, and seeing the group together was such a breathtaking spectacle.  I miss that.

Tygrkat

Seating near the jousting area is the first thing that popped to mind when I thought of what I'd really like to see at Sterling...

Also, M'lord and I were sad to see that the Herbalist was not there, nor was anyone vending high-quality, hand-crafted incense and perfume/essential oils (although, we came closing weekend so perhaps those vendors were there earlier in the season?), two vendors we (usually) always purchase from at Faire.

One thing that we LOVED to see & hope will stay at Sterling was the Fresh Fruit & Jerky cart ~ I am always glad to have a simple, fresh, and healthy option when looking for somewhere to eat  ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Lady Amy of York

The Postive  things about Sterling :
   The cast, the staff and crew, and  the friendly atmosphere  and  setting.  Don't  go changing any of that. :)

Now  for  things  to add  to  an already wonderful faire  to make  it even more  wonderful -

1.  A better map of  the shire.  I had  so many patrons  coming up to me  this  year asking me  where things  were

****2. more  benches in shaded areas. WE really need  this Doug. especially near  the  stages  .

***3. More  big handicap  stalls  for us ladies in noble  gowns . This is another one that is  much, much needed. We need big handicap stalls  down at the bottom of  the shire  for us noble  ladies  so that we don't always  have  to be running up the hill to use  the  handicap privy  near  the  main gate.

4.  For  Betty the Duck --could we get  her a little man made pond  or  wading pool for her to  wade  in ?

5.  A  wooden railing   down the middle of  cardiac hill  to hold on  to,  or  handsome  young lads  pulling  rickshaws  to help  you up that  darn hill !!

6. A list of English sayings  and phrases to hang out to the paytrons.

7. A list of  the words  to the songs that are  sung   during  the day  for  the playtrons and  patrons.

8. Bring  back the homemade birch beer  that use  to sell at faire.

9.  Some  new  rides  and  attractions.   It's  starting to get a wee bit repetitive.

***  10.   More  Vendors  and  more of a variety of  Vendors. We could use more  clothing  vendors.  We could use more hat vendors.  More jewelery and accessory  vendors. This is really needed.   I knew people who did not come  this year because it was the same  vendors  and  shows  they have  seen before. We realy need more variety.

****  11. More  of  a healthy variety of  food.  Not all of us can eat fried  food  and  turkey  legs. 

12. More year round  events.

13. extending the faire season.   

14. Maybe a  two day   spring or  fall faire.

****  15.   A yearly photo book/year book  of  cast,   vendors  and   playtrons.  I would love some nice group photos  of  everyone.  Te cast  and staff is like our second  family.

16. seats  down by  the joust feild.

Overall Doug  you have done a great job.  You took a faire that was on the brink of  bankruptcy  and  back it back to its  full glory and we are so  grateful !

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Bob of the Lake

I was pleased to be able to attend Sterling for the first time this season and had a fabulous time. Being my first visit, I don't know what has changed from past seasons but I really enjoyed what is there now.

The only "issue" we had there was navigating around the grounds. Even with the help of the map, it took us a while to get the lay of the land and we made a few wrong turns (which, depending on where you end up, can mean a very steep climb to get back to where you were!). It would have been helpful to have access to a map in advance so we could figure out where things are before arriving at the fest.

Could the map be made available for downloading from the website? The schedule was on the website but not the map. Having both would make it possible to plan your day better and be a big help for people like me who don't visit often enough to learn where everything is.

That's my suggestion--thanks for asking! I will definitely plan on a return visit to your very fine festival!

I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

NicoleBridget

Oh yes, Lady Amy and Bob reminded me of something I really miss...the old programs.  I liked it when they were small and simply colored like a real play program (black and white, IMO more period than the big, blazing, newspaper-size, full color advertisements).  It had a cast list which I loved for knowing the cast of characters filling out the town, a brief welcome note which helped the patrons to know the name of the town, the year, and a brief description of the period, a list of Elizabethan sayings, and of course the map.  I think these old programs helped and encouraged the patrons to get involved, and made them feel like they were a part of the action.  I have actually saved 1 program every year since I began attending and I favor the old, simpler programs.  I have thrown out the big, full color ones.