News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Was in Emergency Room most of the day

Started by Lord Clisto of York, September 10, 2012, 10:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Clisto of York

This morning I went into the emergency room at St Lukes Medical Center here in Milwaukee, due to pain n my let arm and center back pain. I finally got back from the hospital just after 7:00pm tonight from over 7 hours of tests. I have had a constant tingling in my left forearm for about two weeks, but then that got coupled with a sharp pain in middle of my back like someone pushing on my spine between the shoulder area. This would stay more while the tingling went away. I figured it was from sleeping wrong and adjusted my bed over the following week. I went to the Des Moines faire over the weekend and it all seemed to be ok. Our great medical staff there as well as many others were privy to my situation and all watched out for me and took me in there to check vitals during the day. The weekend I was fine and I drove home Sunday eve. I went to set up an appointment with my Dr for Monday morning and she said just to go directly to the emergency room. Thus I went to St Lukes complex and spent over 7 hours having tests. They did x-ray, ekg, Cat Scan, ultra sound and tons of bloodwork, injected me with medication and then more bloodwork. The tests all showed neg for heart and cancer as well especially from what they could see on the CT. They think the tingliness in my left arm is from a nerve in my shoulder area or possibly sugar related. That I will find out from my regular DR. But the back pain they think is just that. Since it isnt radiating, no chest pressure, no sweating, no pain in the mouth or jaw etc. My Dr may set up a stress test just to make sure of that. So, I have some Vicodin and Valium for that pain and inflammation as needed in the meantime. I have to say though, I was scared shitless. It is at least a good relief at the moment.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

irish

I am glad you are doing better. I will keep you in prayers!
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

dbaldock

Back in September / October of 2008, I had a pain in my left arm (from shoulder to elbow) that ranged from tingling to sharp-burning.  Was especially bad when I lay down to try to sleep at night - had to sleep on an ice-pack to numb the burning pain.

It was right after evacuating and then returning home from Hurricane Ike, so I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle while loading or unloading my belongings (I had a 2nd story apartment at the time).

Turns out it was a pinched nerve in my neck, and the very first Chiropractic adjustment relieved the pressure & the pain.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Renee Buchanan

Hope you continue to recuperate.  In 2011, at Bristol, I developed such a severe pain in my neck and left arm with tingling, that I, too, spent the Saturday night in the emergency room.  Turns out that I, as well, had a pinched nerve in my neck.  It's really scary when you are away from home, to have to go to a hospital in a strange place.  Feel better soon!

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

It's not something to mess with, for certain. Glad to hear it wasn't the ticker.

Last year, about this time, I thought I had bad case of indigestion. Treated that, and felt better for an hour, then it returned. The second time the treatment didn't help. I told Nim that we'd better go to the ER, just to be safe. It turned out to be a mild heart attack, and they were attempting to stent the blockage when they tore the artery because of all the plaque. The tear was a scrape rather than rupture, but they did manage to get the flow going...without the stent.

A month later, the torn portion began closing the artery off again. It took several days to get a doctor to see me, because they didn't think it was an emergency situation. While in with the doctor at an exam, I had to take nitro three or four times in the 20 minutes she was there to relieve the pain. Finally she realized how serious the situation was and had me hospitalized immediately.

After several events, they pushed up a planned heart cath procedure, and did it after normal hours. As they were finishing up, they said they were calling the surgeons in, and they cracked my chest that night. The part I hate the most is the ventilator!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

I'm so glad you're taking it seriously, and not just assuming it's nothing!  Merlin gave us such a horrible scare last year, and there is history of heart disease in my family, as well, that I always encourage everyone to get this sort of thing thoroughly checked out, and not be put off by doctors when they tell you nothing is wrong if you KNOW there is!!!  NO one knows your body the way you do, and pain is always a message telling you there is something wrong... Pinched nerve or something more serious... I hope you continue to follow up on it until you have the answers you need to keep yourself healthy!  I hope you start feeling better really soon, my friend!!!  (((HUG)))
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Jon Hanslow

Holy carp. Glad to hear you're okay!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Jon Hanslow of The Cabin Boys!
www.facebook.com/thecabinboysrf - LIKE us on Facebook!

AJ in "The other village"

Rowan MacD

I saw this on The book of faces this morning.   Take care of yourself, my friend!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Baron Frederick

Glad you are feeling better my friend.You seemed OK when I talked to you this week end,but  I guess you can never tell. Take care of yourself and be carefull.
Baron Frederick

Lord Clisto of York

Thanks everyone for all the kind prayers and support. Yes, things look fine if one makes them to be. I did have slight symptoms while I was there and medical was watching me. But most of the time at faire proper I was ok. Got home and it still was there on monday so I was told to go in. Now I have tests this Thurs wiht my own Doctor to hopefully rule out other things. In the meantime I should still be there in Des Moines for final weekend with the court before moving on to Michigan Faire, then Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio. Weather should be great and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Lord Clisto

Lord Clisto of York

Ok everyone, here is the latest today (Thursday). I just got back from my doctor and this is what we are going to do. First she gave me the ALL CLEAR to do the faires. Huzzah!! Next week she wants me in for a full blood workup blood fasting and all, (as if all they took at the hospital wasn't enough) and check all sugar levels as well as cholesterol and some other things. Then I will be scheduled for a stress test later after those results are back just to be on more of the safe side of no heart issues. In the mean time, I do have some meds for the pain in my left shoulder and back. The tingliness in the left forearm she does not want to comment on until the other results are back. So, it could be sugar related or muscle related. Just have to wait and see. In the meantime I am going to start working harder on dropping some weight off. I just want to once again thank everyone for their full support, concerns and prayers during all this. It is so nice to know how many good friends I have. Love you guys.

Rani Zemirah

Glad to hear that the doctors are taking this seriously!  Don't let them stop until they know what's going on, and take good care of yourself in the meantime! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Butch

Glad to hear you're doing better!  Do you think it may be GERD (reflux)?

Lord Clisto of York

Thanks everyone.  I don't think its Reflux since it isnt a upset area like that. And the arm tingling makes it something else. Nerve, muscle, sugar who knows. Just want to rule out more and more.