News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Absurd on purpose?

Started by Lindell, September 11, 2012, 11:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindell

Hello!
I enjoy making up characters and would love to create a historically accurate one for next year.  However, this year I do not have much time. 
While discussing costumes with my brother and realizing I don't feel like wearing a dress, I joked that we should be brothers fighting over our father's crown (I'm a female).  One thing led to another... and another, and between me and my family it was "decided" I would wear a late medieval/renaissance-ish (the design is not accurate to a specific time as it is now) man's costume and be Lord Lindell Beringer (name picked on a whim, half by other people).
I thought it might be fun to actually do this for Texas Ren Fest this year instead of creating a complex, realistic renaissance character.  I have not placed Lindell in the real world but rather in the medieval style fantasy world my brother and I made up when we were children which is based on where we used to live (I drew up a map when we were children, renaming local towns and cities as different imaginary kingdoms. It is a "high fantasy" world I suppose.)

If I do this, there will be nothing historically accurate about this man.  While I plan on having background information, all of it will be ridiculous/imaginary.  I am not a performer and don't think I will actually talk to that many people at the festival, but if I go with Lindell and act like him, I can imagine I might have to explain myself to someone. 

I was wondering if this is something people do..?  Based on what I have seen people wearing at the festival, I assume most are not too picky about any kind of accuracy.  However, do people who go through the trouble of putting on a character persona tend to be more strict about accuracy and seriousness?

My friends, my brother, and I often go to The Texas Renaissance Festival and do like dressing up, but none of us have done characters before.

Autumn Blaize

If nothing else this is what some in our group do lol I am at times more in character than others. It depends on how hung over I am normally. Most of it has to do if I am speaking with my friends or someone else. For example last year was my daughters first year to go with friends, when she ran into us the first time we all talked in character and looked at her like she was nuts for calling me mom. Later on she caught us after a few bottles o mead, talking normally. I would like to be more committed but I have not been in character but a few years and I do slip up a lot.
As far as it being high fantasy...at TRF it is so mixed on who is playing who I am sure no one will mind. The faire is so large and there are many high fantasy characters there.
Just wondering what part of Texas are you from? I live in Orange.  ;D

Lindell

I come from Northern Liberty County.  However, I now live in Kingwood.

stonebiscuit

I know nothing about TRF, but here's my two cents: if you're going to work, talk to your ED and find out what the guidelines are. If you're going to play--you're buying a ticket, you're a patron--then do whatever makes you happy.

Aderin

Quote from: Lindell on September 11, 2012, 11:46:27 PM
Hello!
I enjoy making up characters and would love to create a historically accurate one for next year.  However, this year I do not have much time. 
While discussing costumes with my brother and realizing I don't feel like wearing a dress, I joked that we should be brothers fighting over our father's crown (I'm a female).  One thing led to another... and another, and between me and my family it was "decided" I would wear a late medieval/renaissance-ish (the design is not accurate to a specific time as it is now) man's costume and be Lord Lindell Beringer (name picked on a whim, half by other people).
I thought it might be fun to actually do this for Texas Ren Fest this year instead of creating a complex, realistic renaissance character.  I have not placed Lindell in the real world but rather in the medieval style fantasy world my brother and I made up when we were children which is based on where we used to live (I drew up a map when we were children, renaming local towns and cities as different imaginary kingdoms. It is a "high fantasy" world I suppose.)

If I do this, there will be nothing historically accurate about this man.  While I plan on having background information, all of it will be ridiculous/imaginary.  I am not a performer and don't think I will actually talk to that many people at the festival, but if I go with Lindell and act like him, I can imagine I might have to explain myself to someone. 

I was wondering if this is something people do..?  Based on what I have seen people wearing at the festival, I assume most are not too picky about any kind of accuracy.  However, do people who go through the trouble of putting on a character persona tend to be more strict about accuracy and seriousness?

My friends, my brother, and I often go to The Texas Renaissance Festival and do like dressing up, but none of us have done characters before.

The more fantasy and ridiculousness the better! Diversity is a beautiful thing :)
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Tazjia Swiftsail

For me personally faire is more like living in one of my fantasy books rather than about the actual time period. My character Tazjia is a based off of an old D&D character and tweaked to be more piratey/wenchy. I think you should do whatever you have fun with!!!
Tazjia Swiftsail at your service!
Me: ~renaissance festival addict|animal lover extraordinaire|nature lover|landlocked Pirate Queen|ink addict~

turlough dubh

im with Tazjia on this , as much as i would love to do 100% historical, the nerd in me cant help but call on my D&D roots and all the fantasy books and comics and movies ive seen , read over the years. i say do what you want and have fun with it
seeker in the north