News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Time Camper

Started by CountingStars, September 28, 2012, 01:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountingStars

This will be my first time camping at TRF. I don't own any camping gear whatsoever, so I'm wondering what you guys may consider the "bare minimum" I need to acquire beforehand. I'll be there for just one night.

Bonny Pearl

Hi there!  Welcome to camp!

So for just one night:

A tarp to lay under your tent.  This will help block cold air & dew.
Tent
Sleeping bag
Lantern & propane
Cooler
Dry goods/food
Toiletries
Water
Clothes
First aid

I'm sure others will chime in on items I've missed here. :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Trillium

I would suggest an air mattress also.  Your back will thank you in the morning!
Got faerie dust?

SQiRL

1.  toilet paper
2.  toilet paper
3.  toilet paper
4. something to clean the porta pottie seats with (spray cleaner/wipes) if you sit bare assed on them  :)
5. air mattress.
6. warm things - on the off chance its really cold.  IE. Really warm sleeping bag, propane heater, blankets... etc.
tent that can breath if you have a propane heater. 
7. Small portable bright flashlights. 
8. Ear plugs if you cant sleep with noise.  (generators/campers can get loud at night)
9. Alarm clock - depending on if you party... you might end up going to bed much later than usual... dont wanna miss out opening gate.  :)

Most people dont realize that air mattresses get really cold due to the air getting cold inside and end up not being able to sleep well on them in cold weather.  Bring a barrier blanket or 2 to combat this if you dont have a good sleeping bag.

and what bonny said.

Autumn Blaize

For years my husbands TRF camping gear was...a blanket and a roll of toilet paper! Granted he was a single guy but he swears this served him well til he met me, at which point he had been going over 10 years!!! So I think it is whatever you think you can get away with lol

CountingStars

Thanks! A tarp wasn't not on my list, so good to know.

I've heard camp was quite the party, which I'm down for, but I will need SOME sleep... may have to add those ear plugs to my list as well!

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: CountingStars on October 02, 2012, 11:08:27 AM
Thanks! A tarp wasn't not on my list, so good to know.

I've heard camp was quite the party, which I'm down for, but I will need SOME sleep... may have to add those ear plugs to my list as well!

Yeah try to get a little sleep lol.  Everyone that knows me knows I have absolutely no problem getting my sleep lol!  ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

raevyncait

a shoelace or lanyard, or something to hang your flashlight around your neck when you make the porta-privvy run in the middle of the night, keeps you from either being in the dark, dropping it into the abyss, or having to set it down in whatever may be on the floor/shelf
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

PollyPoPo

Quote from: raevyncait on October 02, 2012, 01:01:50 PM
a shoelace or lanyard, or something to hang your flashlight around your neck when you make the porta-privvy run in the middle of the night, keeps you from either being in the dark, dropping it into the abyss, or having to set it down in whatever may be on the floor/shelf

We wish someone had made that suggestion to one of our group several years back.  Man, fool, double fool, long story, started to type, decided not. >:(

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

TRY THIS ONE ON FOR SIZE...

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=8479.0

*An oldie but goodie!  Took me 10 minutes to find it*  ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

CountingStars

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on October 02, 2012, 01:29:57 PM

It's like Camp 101 for newbies! Definitely don't need everything on the "master list" for one night, but good to know some of the unspoken rules and camping etiquette!

Any suggestions where the best of the slim pickings will be Saturday morning? Wish we could set-up camp on Friday, but the husband works late  :(  But if we could avoid the drainage path or some equally disagreeable spot, that would be helpful.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Camp size has doubled in the off season... some of our clan peeps, that have seen the new place, may want to give a heads up...  ;)  
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Dinobabe

Quote from: raevyncait on October 02, 2012, 01:01:50 PM

One word.... HEADLAMP!! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

mpullen

Quote from: CountingStars on October 02, 2012, 04:21:52 PM
Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on October 02, 2012, 01:29:57 PM

It's like Camp 101 for newbies! Definitely don't need everything on the "master list" for one night, but good to know some of the unspoken rules and camping etiquette!

Any suggestions where the best of the slim pickings will be Saturday morning? Wish we could set-up camp on Friday, but the husband works late  :(  But if we could avoid the drainage path or some equally disagreeable spot, that would be helpful.

Look for me when you get into the campgrounds. I'll be on my golf utility cart circulating around the campgrounds. I'll show you areas that you might like. With 170 acreas, I'm sure everyone can find a spot.

R/
Mike Pullen
TRF Patron's Campgrounds Host