News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

x shaped wings

Started by jackrocks, October 03, 2012, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackrocks

Looking for some ideas on how to attach them to a top that is not super sturdy.

Butch

What if you were to make something thin, rigid and transparent, and attach the wings from the BOTTOM to a belt the character would wear, and then also pin the top of the wings so they don't flop?

Something thin and rigid like a plastic ruler, or those deals that are in 3-ring binders.

jackrocks

There's a good idea. Maybe even hook a plastic ruler inside the back of yge shirt and attach to that. Somehow.
My 15 year old has decided to do a "dark tinkerbell". :)

isabelladangelo

Rani Zemirah

I use a piece of strong stiff wire to make a "u" shaped attachment for the center of the wings, and tuck it down my back under my bra.  If necessary you can make it a bit longer and tie a ribbon to it, then wrap the ribbon around her waist or rib cage and tie it in front, under her top.  The bra and the ribbon together should secure it, even if the bra itself isn't terribly sturdy.  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

jackrocks

These are some great ideas guys. Thanks.

LadyFae

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on October 04, 2012, 12:19:14 AM
I use a piece of strong stiff wire to make a "u" shaped attachment for the center of the wings, and tuck it down my back under my bra.  If necessary you can make it a bit longer and tie a ribbon to it, then wrap the ribbon around her waist or rib cage and tie it in front, under her top.  The bra and the ribbon together should secure it, even if the bra itself isn't terribly sturdy.  

This.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

jackrocks

rani,
do you happen to have a pic of your wire? I have some I think will work, and I can envision the part to go into the shirt, but Im having trouble imagining how I would connect it to the center of the wings (without making it dorky/bulky/obvious).

thx.

Lady Gregory

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on October 04, 2012, 12:19:14 AM

Awesome idea.  We are working on dd's fairy garb, but have not gotten to the wings yet.  Would this work without a bra as dd is younger and not developed yet.  I am hoping she will fit in Moresca's XS fairy bodice, so I am sure we can get to to stay under that if she agrees to it.

Rani Zemirah

Here is a pic of the wings my daughter wore last year, with the wire in the middle.  I';; be taking this photo down later, so feel free to save it if you like.  This is the side of the wings that is against the back.

I actually bent the ends of the wire into the middle, overlapped them, covered the whole assembly with the material that was previously on the elastic armbands, then sewed them to the pad between the wings.  It wasn't easy, because that pad is usually made of a couple layers of felt stiffened with glue, but it CAN be done.  Use a large tapestry needle and pliers, if necessary. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Gregory

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on October 04, 2012, 05:43:53 PM
Here is a pic of the wings my daughter wore last year, with the wire in the middle.  I';; be taking this photo down later, so feel free to save it if you like.  This is the side of the wings that is against the back.

I actually bent the ends of the wire into the middle, overlapped them, covered the whole assembly with the material that was previously on the elastic armbands, then sewed them to the pad between the wings.  It wasn't easy, because that pad is usually made of a couple layers of felt stiffened with glue, but it CAN be done.  Use a large tapestry needle and pliers, if necessary. 

Looks great.  It is different from what I had envisioned, so the pic helps a lot.

Rani Zemirah

Oh, good, I'm glad it's clearer, now!  I'm always worried that I don't explain things as clearly as I could...  lol 

I used clothes hanger wire, and they are still as sturdy as when I put it on there to begin with. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

jackrocks

This helps a lot. Thanks! I'm a visual learner:)

Rani Zemirah

Me to, most of the time!  I'm glad I could help!  Please post her wings when you've got it all put together... sounds like she's going to have lots of fun!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

jackrocks

I have the wings built and I just need to attach the tulle now :)

Now I just need to figure out how to make my sons request for an "old fashioned lime green ninja"