News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Not Allowed Any More New Projects. Who's with me?!

Started by gem, October 10, 2012, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Egad! Feeling like I haven't accomplished much on my ever-lengthening to-do list this year, I decided to sit down and prioritize my WIPs (and the Works-Not-Yet-In-Progress, but in various stages of planning & stashing).

I have ELEVEN. And some of those are complete gown projects (meaning, not just a dress, but a chemise, a kirtle, an overgown, and all the mockups for the above... so we won't even count how many individual pieces that is!).

So. That's it. I am officially on a New Project Fast for the next year (ohmigosh). If I make really good progress on the list--like, say, knocking off a few major items, MAYBE I can add another project--but only for Milord. I have plenty of things on this list to keep me garb happy for ages. Of course, this also means a fabric fast, as that is one of my *major* culprits for spurring new projects. If I hadn't gotten that brown embroidered muslin, after all....

I need some accountability, though. I know we have the Gallery of In-Progress Projects, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in a WIP Kill-Along, where we all post our to-do lists and cheer each other on as we knock off those items we've been meaning to finish.

Anyone want to join in?

Deep breath... here's mine, in the order of priority I've identified:

*1. Brown embroidered smock DONE!!
*2. Outstanding embroidery exchange project. DONE!!
*3. New green shirt for Milord. [/b] DONE!!!
4. St. Catherine chemise (embroidery & sewing)
        Need to commit to embroidery and threads.
5. Other embroidered smock (one sleeve & the back done).
*6. Van Helsing Jacket. For Comic-Con next July.
         Need to test fit new sleeve pattern & mark embroidery pattern on fabric
         And then, you know, make it.
<--Status has been changed to "semi-permanent UFO." At the moment, no real plans to continue it.[/b]
*7. Elizabethan jacket (Tudor Tailor)
         Scale up pattern, mockup, adjust, make
8. Elizabethan fitted gown (Tudor Tailor)
         Ditto Elizabethan jacket
9. Promenade Gown (chemise, partlet, kirtle, gown, hat, & all of the research and test-fitting & mockups that go along with that. I'm starting again from scratch.)
10. The Red Margo, which goes with the second embroidered smock
          Totally stashed. Ready for another Iron Dress competition!
11. Embroidered Coif
          A kit that's been in my stash for ages. I'm having fabric angst about it, but I think I'm working through it.

If I were as productive as I fantasize about being, I could probably get almost half of those done in a year, focusing on one project each month. So I've marked them with asterisks, just for an added challenge! Ha!

....Ok, off to tackle the rest of that brown smock.

CenturiesSewing

I have:

Green wool kirtle for a friend, skirt is more or less together just needs to finishing, bodice and interlining and lining are all cut out. -Need to finishing this by early Nov.
Green wool jacket I started last month just lost momentum on it, the sleeves are being irksome.
Kirtle sew-along project - Need to take more photos for the first part of the tutorial still, going to cut out out the mock up today hopefully.
Black wool fitted gown for myself -Eventually
Olive drape fitted gown for friend who is getting the green wool kirtle.. also would like to finish this by early Nov but doubting it.
Steampunk Halloween - got the outer fabric... doubt I'll get to it this year.
Green Velvet Dress - Need to sketch out designs.
Fantasy Elf Dress Thing that I can't decide on sleeves for.

This has turned into my year of Green.

Auryn

Brilliant Idea.
Can we put in mundane/ and fantasy garb projects also??

Well
assuming we can, here is my list

-3 pairs of steampunk inspired mundane shorts for work- knee length
- 3 peasant shirts
- 2 pairs of gloves
-1 corset with detachable sleeves and cowl
-Mord Sith outfit- catsuit,gloves,boots and armor included (ideally ready for Megacon in March 2013)
-steampunk electrical accessories
-redwork embroidery blouse- inspired by Anna Valerious (Van Helsing)
-Saint Seiya- Gold Scorpio outfit/armor (ideally ready for Megacon in March 2013)

modified to add
I forgot to add the following
-3 rifle sleeves
-some kind of Lord of the Rings garb for the opening night in December
Thats all I can think of at the moment. I have all the supplies and materials for all of these so I really have no reason to go to Joanns except for thread.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Ser Niall

My todo list between now and the next year's ren fest season.

• New chemise for my fiance.
  • New high collared shirt for myself.
  • Black/gold noble doublet and slops, to match my fiance's dress in the same color scheme. (fabric purchased, sitting there, staring at me....)
  • Middle/lower class outfit for my fiance (Basic skirt, chemise, bodice ensemble.  She wants something to wear when we bring the little ones to faire, something she can move around in easier, and won't care if she gets sticky, dirty kid hand prints on it)

Not a terribly long list, but it'll keep me busy as I keep practicing my sewing skills.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

gem

Huzzah! More folks 'fessing up to their lengthy to-do lists! And I did not mean to imply that anyone else must sign a blood oath not to take on any more projects. LOL I only meant that I am charging myself with finishing off as many of my own as possible, and that I would welcome the company if others were so disposed.

And I have progress! I have cut out the brown embroidered chemise! And, clever me, I cut the body pieces along the selvage so I will not have to hem the thing.  ;D  (The fabric has a wide border along each end that's not embroidered--maybe 3"--and at first I just liked the idea of seeing the finished edge of the embroidery in the chemise, and then the *practicality* of the impulse occurred to me, as well!)

Onward!

ETA: A couple hours later, and I've finished the first several major sewing steps. I am maybe not quite halfway done? I think I might be able to finish this tomorrow!

Wickedvox

You have the best ideas Gem!! Ugh, I'm embarassed by my list, but since my folder is right here  ;D ...*ahem*

Dane projects:
1. Vest for me--actually in progress, just stalled
*2. Blouse for me--have everything needed
*3. Pj pants for hubby and me--have everything needed
4. Workout pants for me--have everything needed
5. This plaid skirt: http://www.simplicity.com/p-8010-burda-style-skirt.aspx I only have the pattern; it probably belongs in dream projects, but c'mon it's just a skirt.

WIP:
1. sleeves for yellow/red bodice I finished this summer--cut out AND pinned, what's the deal??
2. Wonder Woman bustier mock-up--cut out
*3. Finishing touches on my and hubby's Victorian outfits--buttons, etc.
*4. Alice in Wonderland pinafore-style apron and hem skirt for my sister--have to cut pattern but have everything; and the skirt will take no time but, ya know...
*5. Victorian hat reworking--everything's pinned to it, just need to sew.

Dream Projects:
1. Spada Gypsy painting--yeeeeahhh...well, we all know I pretty much have everything to do it except drafting skills :-\
2. high-neck chemise--again, have everything...because I'm a horder
3. square-neck Victorian chemise--no pattern
*4. Victorian petticoat--kind of a priority seeing as I need it by the 26th; I'll have to wing the pattern, but no biggie
5. *Someday* I'd like a Victorian nightgown set
6. I also want to make a 1950's dress with a rouched bust out of that awesome blue sheer polka dot fabric I got from one of my hauls

*exhale and sigh* so that is my crazy ADHD list. Also, I only have about a week off from school and I woke up with a nasty cold this morning and everything with an asterisk is what I planned on getting done on my break. I have to at least get my sister's stuff and the Victorian stuff finished since it's all for Halloween. Yeeeaahh...good luck with that.
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Rani Zemirah

Well... I don't feel quite so bad, now.  ;D  I can't promise to NOT take on any more projects, but maybe seeing some of them here will at least spur me to get on with the ones I'm working on, and start the ones I've been putting off, or gathering for.  

Ren:
Finish my French seamed chemise/camicia with the gathered banded neckline and hand-rolled hem and cuffs.
Start split skirt and sleeves for my daughter's lower noble garb. (have the fabric for the skirt picked out, and have to decide what to use for the sleeves)
One, or possibly two, new chemises for my daughter, to go with the nobles.
(all fabrics already in stash)

Steampunk/Victorian:
Finish my green Dupioni bustle that is currently pinned and needs to be permanently stitched.
Lace cuffs to match all the collars.
2-3 pair frilly "Lolita" spats for me.
Several new mini-top hats in different fabrics.
Full ruffled petticoats in at least 3 different colors.
Walking skirt.
Grand Parlor Skirt (Truly Victorian)
Leather bracers and tophat for me.
(all fabrics already in stash... still need leather)

Halloween:
Vampire slayer/monster hunter for my daughter.
Costumes for my nephew and great nephew (haven't even been given a hint, yet... but they better hurry!).
Totally revamp my old Autumn Goddess costume (won't take much, and all the fabric is already there)
Leather masks for my daughter and myself.  

That's all I can recall at the moment, although I think there are a few others, and I KNOW there is one that still has to go out to someone else before the end of the year...  ::)  :o
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is the Fabric I bought for the gown from SR Harris on Saturday with my $8.49 a yard coupon for Decorator Fabric.

AS for personal Projects, I have this gown from ELIZABETH R in the plans. I have Gold on Black Frames trim from www.pillagedvillage.com, additional tiny Gold trim, with tons of 6mm pearls. Contrast color will be a rich Burgandy Velveteen with Burgandy Piping.

This will be done in my Spare time being what comes down the pike in Custom Orders and Alterations.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Auryn

You know, it figures that I make this pledge,
and this week the brocade I have been drooling over goes on sale for $4.99/yd at joanns.
Murphy... he is a sly one I tell you.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

gem

I think that's a totally fair exception. It's not like you JUST saw this fabric and couldn't resist it; it's been in the works for you for a while, so you've had a chance to consider what use you might put it to, right? 

How long is the sale going on? How much do they have/what's the risk of somebody buying it out from under you? Here's what I'd (try to convince myself to) do: Pull out an item from your list that you can finish quickly (maybe one of the peasant shirts?), and knock it off your list. Then you can replace it with the project for *this* fabric, and you'll be at the same net starting point. No harm done--but you actually made progress by finishing one of your projects! (Frex, I want to order a new pattern and mockup fabric for Milord's green shirt, but I'm not allowed to that until I put the cuffs and collar on my embroidered chemise. Which I am going to do right now!)

Rani Zemirah

Well... does it count if I BOUGHT something that can take the place of 3 of my proposed projects???  Just purchased a previously loved brocade skirt and chemise set that will be beautiful as the base for my daughter's nobles AND a velvet skirt that I may turn into a split skirt for her, if it's full enough... AND a short chemise for myself, for any extremely good price! 

So... does that mean I get to check those things off my list and add something else?  ;D  heheh
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

gem you are such an enabler :)
Technically the sale goes for a bit- its the joanns current flyer.
Ideally, I would spend $35 during the moonlight madness so I can get the 30% off total purchase card and be able to use that on the brocade.
In theory I could spend the $35 on exacto knife blades and supplies for screen printing.

We will see what I come up with.

Rani, I think that if those things make the project "complete" then it totally counts but you have to add something new to the 'to do" list

gem

HUZZAH!  I finished my first item!! Just put the last slip stitches in the collar and cuff facings for the brown embroidered smock.

More pix in the Finished Projects thread!

So, of course, I spent the day doing some window sourcing for materials for a project that is so totally NOT on my list. I am absolutely restraining myself for now... but it does mean that tomorrow I'll be buying the pattern and fabric for Project #2, Milord's green shirt!  Need to get going on #3 (embroidery exchange project), but it requires some prepwork. Might take a couple days before that happens. Off to work on #5, the Other Embroidered Smock.

CenturiesSewing

Green wool kirtle for a friend, skirt is more or less together just needs to finishing, bodice and interlining and lining are all cut out. Bodice interlining is done, just needs flat lining and sewn together.
Green wool jacket I started last month just lost momentum on it, the sleeves are being irksome. Sleeves have been ironed and are tacked in...

Kirtle sew-along project - Need to take more photos for the first part of the tutorial still, going to cut out out the mock up today hopefully. Mock up cut and assembled.
Black wool fitted gown for myself -Eventually
Olive drape fitted gown for friend who is getting the green wool kirtle.. also would like to finish this by early Nov but doubting it.
Steampunk Halloween - got the outer fabric... doubt I'll get to it this year.
Green Velvet Dress - Need to sketch out designs.
Fantasy Elf Dress Thing that I can't decide on sleeves for.

Wickedvox

You have the best ideas Gem!! Ugh, I'm embarassed by my list, but since my folder is right here  ;D ...*ahem*

Dane projects:
1. Vest for me--actually in progress, just stalled
*2. Blouse for me--have everything needed
*3. Pj pants for hubby and me--have everything needed
4. Workout pants for me--have everything needed
5. This plaid skirt: http://www.simplicity.com/p-8010-burda-style-skirt.aspx I only have the pattern; it probably belongs in dream projects, but c'mon it's just a skirt.

WIP:
1. sleeves for yellow/red bodice I finished this summer--cut out AND pinned, what's the deal??
2. Wonder Woman bustier mock-up--cut out
*3. Finishing touches on my and hubby's Victorian outfits--buttons, etc.
*4. Alice in Wonderland pinafore-style apron and hem skirt for my sister--have to cut pattern but have everything; and the skirt will take no time but, ya know...
*5. Victorian hat reworking--everything's pinned to it, just need to sew. Update--new band attached, need to make a gold pleated piece for the back then attach the bow.

Dream Projects:
1. Spada Gypsy painting--yeeeeahhh...well, we all know I pretty much have everything to do it except drafting skills :-\
2. high-neck chemise--again, have everything...because I'm a horder
3. square-neck Victorian chemise--no pattern
*4. Victorian petticoat--kind of a priority seeing as I need it by the 26th; I'll have to wing the pattern, but no biggie--Update: making three rows of ruffles 266" long...*sigh*
5. *Someday* I'd like a Victorian nightgown set
6. I also want to make a 1950's dress with a rouched bust out of that awesome blue sheer polka dot fabric I got from one of my hauls

*exhale and sigh* so that is my crazy ADHD list. Also, I only have about a week off from school and I woke up with a nasty cold this morning and everything with an asterisk is what I planned on getting done on my break. I have to at least get my sister's stuff and the Victorian stuff finished since it's all for Halloween. Yeeeaahh...good luck with that.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."