News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Not Allowed Any More New Projects. Who's with me?!

Started by gem, October 10, 2012, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

My List:

Mundane:

• A plaid jumper for work
  • Black Corduroy skirt for work
  • Short Cape/cloak for winter
  • Possibly a Christmas Dress

Garb & Costumes:

• One Tudor Dress for a friend
  • One Tudor Doublet for a Friend
  • Handsewn Wool Checked Regency Dress for Me
  • Elven Dress for Me for the Hobbit
  • Either an Elizabethan or a Tudor Dress for me By Jan 11 2012
  • The German gown I should have been working on before I chopped my hand
  • Finish the Scottish kirtle
  • Possibly something Edwardian/Steampunk (leaning towards the Motor Corps uniform right now)
  • My leather Witch coat/bodice that I have yet to finish

I've finished all the nephews' Halloween outfits.  I'm hoping to get them to pose tomorrow.   :)  It gets cold in the Mid Atlantic during Halloween so I make them nice fleece capes or outfits so they don't have to cover up their costumes with a coat.

gem

Quote from: isabelladangelo on October 20, 2012, 08:42:35 PM

Cannot WAIT to see this! Nobody here does German.

I am trying to decide if I'm allowed to add mundane projects to my list. I really pretty much never sew mundane stuff (in the last year I made my MIL an apron, and myself one muslin of a knit top--it worked out fine, but I never got around to the real top!). I was thinking of taking my local shop's studio class again this winter, with the focus of getting to know my serger better and using up some of my wonderful stash of knits. But after seeing all my garb projects laid out like that, I'm wondering if I should put that on hold.  :-\

What say you all?

gem

I found this interesting thread from 2009 (also incidentally started by me!  :-[) where a bunch of us weighed in on garb planning and working our way through to-do lists. It's worth a revisit!

Auryn

well personally
I was in the same boat- focusing only on garb,
and over the last several months I have become completely disgusted by my mundane clothing so now I do 1 piece garb, 1 piece mundane clothing.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

CenturiesSewing

Green wool kirtle for a friend, skirt is more or less together just needs to finishing, bodice and interlining and lining are all cut out. Bodice interlining is done, just needs flat lining and sewn together. Lining partly in, skirt attached. Letting it hang a few days before I even the hem and bind it. Then on to eyelets.

Green wool jacket I started last month just lost momentum on it, the sleeves are being irksome. Sleeves have been ironed and are tacked in... Sleeves are in, lining is in... need to unpick part because the sides are flaring too much for my taste. Just needs wings, collar, sleeve hems and the lining turned over the sleeves.

Kirtle sew-along project - Taking photos today

Steampunk Halloween - Decided to make it after all, underskirt done, corset pattern roughly scaled up, corset mock-up cut out.

Black wool fitted gown for myself -Eventually
Olive drape fitted gown for friend who is getting the green wool kirtle.. also would like to finish this by early Nov but doubting it.
Green Velvet Dress - Need to sketch out designs.
Fantasy Elf Dress Thing that I can't decide on sleeves for.

Rani Zemirah

Ok, so I admit it... I'm pretty much useless at NOT planning new projects while I still have WIP or a planning list.  I blame it on Goodwill...  

Sunday, my daughter and I set off in search of tea pots, for our upcoming crafters tea party which we are hosting in our home for my eccentrically crafty "aunts".  We're going to be making mini top hats, at their request.  We will also be making ribbon Christmas tress, because, well... I want to.  Anyway, enough background...

As I was waiting for my daughter to get back from her visit to the powder room I perused the skirt aisle... and found the most wonderful flocked navy blue satin pencil maxi skirt, with side slits.  Perfect for making a capelet to go with the Victorian my daughter wants, starting with a frothy royal blue petticoat, and building from there.  All it needs is some of the gorgeous black venise lace I already have...

And then I wandered over to the curtain/bedspread/sheet/table runner/fabric section... and that was my REAL undoing.  I found an incredible queen size duvet cover in burgundy velveteen (with a 100% cotton burgundy backing) that is perfect for the split skirt for the nobles my daughter also wants... and a pale butter yellow light weight jacquard round table cloth that will be perfect for a bustled overskirt for Steampunk.  I also found a white cotton sheet with the prettiest lace ruffle that will make a wonderful petticoat all on it's own!  An emerald green brocade valance destined for one layer of a traveling bustle (steampunk) came next, then a faux patchwork table runner in gold upholstery, lined with gold silk, that will most likely just grace my tea table this weekend, and later be turned into something fun... and after that... a stunning 5 yard sari in cream and red and pink silk, with an image of Krishna and Radha in the patterned area. I paid $.75 for it, because it was half off that day.  Yes... 75 whole cents.  

Oh... I also found two cute little tea pots for the party, but I still need a few more... so I have to go to the other thrift store tomorrow.  :o  (sigh)  I'm soooo weak.  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

gem

Well, you can't really help a stash windfall like that. What were you going to do--leave it all there?  ;D

But. You CAN finish off some of your WIPs before starting any of the projects that go with the new fabric!

CenturiesSewing

I'm finishing projects...but am still getting fabric here and there for new ones.. :o

Green wool kirtle for a friend, skirt is more or less together just needs to finishing, bodice and interlining and lining are all cut out. Bodice interlining is done, just needs flat lining and sewn together. Lining partly in, skirt attached. Letting it hang a few days before I even the hem and bind it. Then on to eyelets.  Ready for Friday fitting, just need armholes bound and sleeves.

Green wool jacket I started last month just lost momentum on it, the sleeves are being irksome. Sleeves have been ironed and are tacked in... Sleeves are in, lining is in... need to unpick part because the sides are flaring too much for my taste. Just needs wings, collar, sleeve hems and the lining turned over the sleeves. Done.

Kirtle sew-along project - Taking photos today

Steampunk Halloween - Decided to make it after all, underskirt done, corset pattern roughly scaled up, corset mock-up cut out.
Didn't get it done in time for Halloween, corset is all cut out, semi set aside for now.

Olive drab fitted gown for friend who is getting the green wool kirtle.. also would like to finish this by early Nov but doubting it.
Outer fabric and lining cut out yesterday, sewing it together today. Fitting is Friday.

Green Velvet Dress - Need to sketch out designs. - need correct color dye.
Fantasy Elf Dress Thing that I can't decide on sleeves for.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: gem on November 06, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Well, you can't really help a stash windfall like that. What were you going to do--leave it all there?  ;D

But. You CAN finish off some of your WIPs before starting any of the projects that go with the new fabric!

True, true... although some of these tie into the projects on my list, so I don't feel too bad about them.  I'm just glad this is a list of sewing projects ONLY... otherwise I would feel seriously in need of an intervention! 

Centuries... you astound me!  I can't even imagine getting that many projects done, or nearly so, in such a short amount of time! 

Which leads me to wonder... how many of you ladies who sew so frequently have young children?  Because, as a single parent to an 11 y/o daughter... I just don't even know how I manage to find the time to get ANYthing done, when I stop and think about it.  Most of my crafting seems to be done in the middle of the night, actually... when any sane person would be sleeping!  ::)  lol 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

jackrocks

I am not doing any more ren stuff now that our season and halloween are over.
so I am totally with you!

But I did recently learn to crochet and have about 85 projects planned.

But that doesn't count I don't think. Right? Lol

isabelladangelo

Mundane:

• A plaid jumper for work
  • Black Corduroy skirt for work
<-I ended up buying one for $4 at the local thrift store that I love

• Short Cape/cloak for winter
  • Possibly a Christmas Dress

Garb & Costumes:

• One Tudor Dress for a friend
<- She's coming over this weekend so I have the pattern out to fit it

•   One Tudor Doublet for a Friend
  • Handsewn Wool Checked Regency Dress for Me
<-The bodice is done, 1/3 of the skirt is done, and the sleeves are done

• Elven Dress for Me for the Hobbit
<- I have the perfect fabric for the sleeves but I need to figure out what to use for the dress itself!

• Either an Elizabethan or a Tudor Dress for me By Jan 11 2012
<- I'm trading this one for "until next year" and putting the Pink Wool UFO Italian dress in this space.

• Finish the Scottish kirtle
<- It's hanging up right now and I just need to hem it

• Possibly something Edwardian/Steampunk (leaning towards the Motor Corps uniform right now)
<- It's on the next year list now

• My leather Witch coat/bodice that I have yet to finish
<- It got finished!  Yay![/list]

CenturiesSewing

Green wool kirtle for a friend, skirt is more or less together just needs to finishing, bodice and interlining and lining are all cut out. Bodice interlining is done, just needs flat lining and sewn together. Lining partly in, skirt attached. Letting it hang a few days before I even the hem and bind it. Then on to eyelets.  Ready for Friday fitting, just need armholes bound and All that is left is sleeves.

Fitting went well but I forgot to take photos, the waist ended up a tiny bit long but as there is no boning in the kirtle it isn't a painful issue.

Olive drab fitted gown for friend who is getting the green wool kirtle.. also would like to finish this by early Nov but doubting it.
Outer fabric and lining cut out yesterday, sewing it together today. Fitting is Friday.

I have one armhole left to bind then just need to set the sleeves and even and bind the hem. That is the plan for Monday

Green Velvet Dress - still need correct color dye.

Adding yet another project...
Black wool fitted gown for myself- got a very nice deal on a wool blend that ended up a rather broadcloth weight, going to use that for a gown and the other black wool I had in mind for a kirtle.

Rani, I can't imagine what it is like to sew with kids, it is hard enough sewing with my new cat around.

gem

Yay, Isabella! Can't wait to see the pix of the witch coat!

Yay, Centuries! Yay new kitty!!

With my work commitments for NaNoWriMo, I'm not getting much any sewing done this month, but I'm making good progress on the Outstanding Embroidery Exchange Piece! Huzzah! I also have some New Theories about the embroidery for the St. Catherine chemise, but I am Being Very Good and finishing the current embroidery before starting the new one. Really, really.  :)

Ginette

Thank you for the ideas!  I might have a list to post soon...
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Rani Zemirah

Oh, good... then it's not just that I'm lazy and unorganized!  There always seems to be more to do than there is time in the day week month year...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede