News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Magazine

Started by SirBlackFox, June 27, 2008, 10:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirBlackFox

Within 24 hours of the original post of possibly coming up with a new full-color magazine to compete with Renaissance Magazine. . . .  I've had no less than 13 folks willing to be "reporters" to various festivals and faires. . .  and about $4,000 in advertising promises (using the same scale I use for Pyrates Way advertisers).

With that kind of backing . . .  I think the decision is made for me.

Get ready to hear more about Faire Magazine (www.fairemagazine.com) and how much we'll have to offer vendors, entertainers, festival admins/owners, historians, re-enactors. . .  playtrons. . .and paytrons.

From Garb Nazis to Ren Faire folk and from Mundanes to Muggles. . . . we hope to offer it all.

Please stand by for support instructions!
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

renfairephotog

Great to hear. I look foward to the magazine.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Robin of Locksley

standing by, ready to purchase.  :)

Queen_of_Navarre

I would LOVE to submit art and or a mag cover. To see samples of my magazine covers...http://www.freewebs.com/the_french_court/magazine1.htm
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

dragonswitch

This sounds like a great idea. And I would love seeing more coverage other festivals other than just the large ones. I attend at least three in the Midwest. We're planning on attending more in the future as new ones are growing up around us),and would be happy to take photos for the magazine.

Tim T

Put me down for a subscription!  If it's anything like The Pyrates Way, it'll be the bomb!
Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

DuCoeur

The more publications about Faire or the Renaissance the better...
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Lady Renee Buchanan

A suggestion:  Perhaps a "reporter" and "photographer" (I put these in quotations, because I don't necessarily mean a professional person who does this as a living) from each state where faires occur.  Maybe a couple if it's a big state and/or there are many faires.

They could cover the various faires in the state and write and take photographs.  That way, not just the huge venues would be covered, and people could learn about smaller faires that they may not have known about.

I also like the idea of articles on the different performers.  It's nice to learn about someone you have seen at the faire, and also to find out about people you haven't seen,  and now you would look forward to attending a faire you might not have considered, if that person or group will be there.

I know it would be hard to feature different vendors.  There are so many, and you don't want to upset your advertisers.  But it would be fun to see the work of vendors that are small mom/pop operations that would never have the money to advertise in a magazine.  We recently went to a Renaissance Festival in Dubuque, Iowa.  There was the most incredible potter there.  She is a mom and started as a hobby several years ago.  She does a few craft shows and this was her first faire.  Her work is outstandingly beautiful.  She could never, ever afford to advertise anywhere.  But to feature someone like her, in whatever craft, shows the average person someone who is doing what they love in their lives.

Good luck!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Athena

Looks interesting, I'll definitely check it out. Good luck!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady_Glorianna

Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

DeadBishop

As much as I love Pyrate's Way, I've been disappointed in myself for the simple fact I haven't really been able to contribute much of anything at this point.  A general faire mag, however, I feel that I would be able to fill countless pages with contributions.  Consider me right there at the front of the line, ready to help out with anything and everything that I can throw at you!  I have a good start on the year, too...  ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

Emerald Shaunassey

As I said before, I might be persuaded to be a roving photojournalist/writer for faires that I've either worked or attended.

I think what you have got going is a great thing, Black Fox.  Count me in as a subscriber and "lend-a-hand" type if ya need it.  Huzzah!! to you for taking on this magazine as well as TPW!

You definately have my respect,
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

SirBlackFox

I've updated the site with more than just a photo of the cover mock up. 

Why should you subscribe now when the first issue is not on the streets till the first of the year?
I'm having  1.5" round pins that have a push-pin back, embossed metal and best of all. . . FREE to the first 500 subscribers.  You can see the pin when you click the link from the subscription page.

As for content and other thoughts posted here. . . I'll get back to you.  I have to get this groundwork organizational/admin stuff put together before I can get to content, photos,etc. . .  but we're definitely going forward with the idea and my distributor for Pyrates Way is VERY interested in the project.

I'll keep you updated as we go.  After subscribing, the most important thing folks can do is tell all the potential advertisers about the new magazine and have them contact me for ad rates. . .  that page is next to be finished on the site.

Thank you all for making this happen!
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: SirBlackFox on July 01, 2008, 11:12:14 AM
Thank you all for making this happen!

Thank you, Black Fox, for taking this challenge upon yourself.

You are a credit to us all.
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

SirBlackFox

The Response is CRAZY!

Thus. . .we're moving the magazine publication up from Spring of next year to AUTUMN OF THIS YEAR!  Our street date is the first week of October 2008.

I need two ren festival articles of which I'll give the details of what we're looking for in content.  However the magazine, like The Pyrates Way, will be very heavy in photography, so we're looking for beautiful photos of the festival itself, participants, interaction, etc.  If there's a certain area that makes a certain faire stand out from another, we want info and pics on that.   There will be several other articles we'll need which will be spelled out on the pages at www.fairemagazine.com

I really want this magazine to be similar to Pyrates Way in one other way. . . .  I want it to be created by "rennies" for "rennies."  I'd love to have everyone I can involved!

Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack