News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

World Without End

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, October 19, 2012, 05:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

This is a follow-up series to Pillars of the Earth.  I have recorded it, but not watched the first part.

Just thought I would start a thread.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Great! We loved Pillars of the Earth.  Too bad we don't get television. We watch Pillars on Netflix streaming.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Godric

Pillars of the Earth was awesome, I got the book World w/o end and thought it was just so-so. More like some teen romance story, she loves me she hates me, she loves me again.... Now my wife and I are watching the movie. Watched the first 4 episodes and still it is just ok. Toned down the wishy washy back and forth, but it falls short on making you feel anything for the characters like Pillars did. Also Pillars was cool because of it mainly being about builders constructing a Cathedral... World- in the book has building thing but not a main point in the dvd.

My two farthings worth of opinion. What did others think?

Merlin the Elder

World Without End hit Netflix a few weeks back. Godric was right. It didn't hold up to Pillars of the Earth, but it did provide a pretty accurate picture of the Church.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have the Pillars of The Earth DVD set. The building of the Cathedral at Kingsbridge was the Central theme that held the series together with such precision. The connected sub stories made it all complete  . The top notch cast was key. Episode One makes me bawl.

Also, the book was fantastic. From the reviews of the followup, I have no intention of watching it.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde