News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Suggestions for Terre: Ideas and Suggestions for Future TRF Development

Started by Breandan, October 25, 2012, 11:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: LadyJessica on November 04, 2012, 10:59:43 AM
Here's my idea and it would tie in with some of the things already posted.  Have a living history "town" with stone masons, a blacksmith, farmer, ect. really showing how life really was back then...not just the festival portion.  Let it be one of the major attractions at the school days events so they can really learn about it.  I'm sure that you could probably find several people that would love to help you run it.

At the Ozark Castle, this was what was going on, and it was absolutely fascinating. It's a terrible shame that the project folded from lack of funds. I'm hoping it reopens.  Having something like that at faire would be awesome.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

We're hoping to make our first trip there in 2013, Gauwyn. Perhaps we can synchronize visits!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 05, 2012, 04:43:30 PM
We're hoping to make our first trip there in 2013, Gauwyn. Perhaps we can synchronize visits!

Columbus day weekend.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Valeria Skyye

Quote from: Strange on November 01, 2012, 11:42:03 AM

Finally, one that will likely be quickly dismissed because BODIES/NUMBERS, but I don't think it's too bad a notion...

Pirate weekend and/or Barbarian invasion weekend go either 18+ or 21+ only, at least on the Saturdays.
Now that isn't to say that those days become anything goes or the like, but we have a few bawdy acts at faire, and they should be allowed to thoroughly cut loose those days.
Also, given the nature of "barbarian fashion" at faire, it might relieve some of the concerns about violating the sanctity of children's eyes/psyches.
Plus, I think that it could actually help some of the mid-high end vendors, since there be less of a "don't touch!" vibe.

Just my 2p.

Please not Pirate Weekend!!! Maybe Barbarian and or/Roman Bacchanal weekends (lets face it those Barbarians are pretty raunchy..lol and some of those Togas should never be seen by children! That being said on the flip side a lot of families can not come into faire on Sundays with their kids especially those with long drives. Kids do have school on Mondays and have to be home at a decent hour.
Co-founder and member of Clan Dragonass
Member Clan McLotofus

LadyStitch

This is a small thing to most people but something came up this weekend when I visited.  Can there be better marked and places for diaper changes? If someone hadn't pointed out that the 2 foot long bench that was right next to the sink, and with the big mirror everybody did their hair at was where I was to do diaper changes I would have had to change her on the floor. Eww!   Another mundane mom was trying to change her nearly 3 year old, and he was screaming and struggling.  Since it was so narrow, and short, it was a real struggle for her.  I kept getting the diaper bag wet because I had to put it right next to sinks because there wasn't room to get my items out.

We talk about grand ideas, but sometimes it will be the little things that might encourage more families to come, if they knew that it accessible to all ages.  I can tell you it is a weight off a mum's mind if they don't have to stress over taking care of their kiddos.   AND it would be nice to have one in the men's area as well.  Most places will have one in the ladies but not mens. (If we do already, I commend you highly.)

That's my two pence.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Breandan

Agreed. Speaking as a father having to change diapers out there, those counters are not safe enough to change a rolling pin of a nine-month-old without assistance. Trying to wrangle a toddler, a diaper bag, diaper, wipes, AND the spasmodic infant was difficult as hell, not to mention potentially dangerous
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

dbaldock

Quote from: Breandan on November 06, 2012, 07:34:11 AM
Agreed. Speaking as a father having to change diapers out there, those counters are not safe enough to change a rolling pin of a nine-month-old without assistance. Trying to wrangle a toddler, a diaper bag, diaper, wipes, AND the spasmodic infant was difficult as hell, not to mention potentially dangerous

Also, I'm wondering if the changing station surfaces shouldn't be some sort of smooth, non-porous material - so it's easier to keep sanitized?  I hate to say "plastic" when we're talking about a Renaissance Festival, but it would be cheaper than a marble or granite surface.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

LadyJessica

Speaking of bathrooms...mirrors...need more mirrors in the women's bathroom.  Some only have one single VERY small mirror for all the ladies to use...not good when you have some one replying their entire face make up and all I want to do is make sure I don't have basil in my teeth. It took her a good ten minutes with about 7 others waiting to use the mirror.

*edited due to phones auto correct
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

AngieT

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

SirRichardBear

Something I've seen at smaller faire Half price for active duty military personal and thier family.   As a way to say thanks for providing the protection that allows us to enjoy faire. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Lady Laura

I like Sir Richard's idea.  We can never do enough to repay our service men and women!
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester

Zardoz

I think some large mirrors in all the bathrooms would be nice for the folks with a lot of garb to deal with.

on the baby changing thing, I'd think something like these would be a quick and easy fix;
http://www.babychangingstationsonline.com/#AHD1070
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

LadyStitch

Hey on the diaper changing situation, I would bet you there would be people who would be willing to sponser  some of them (myself being one). I bet if there were the toddler minding chairs in some of the wheel chair accessible stalls you would make even more parents happy. There is nothing like having the chance to go to the toilet with out worrying about your child touch/eating something they shouldn't while you are 'indisposed'.

Yes I know historical accuracy is a big thing, but I'm willing to step out there if it means a safe and sanitary place for my child.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.