News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Farewell, HMS Bounty

Started by Captain Jack Wolfe, October 29, 2012, 08:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack Wolfe

Hurricane Sandy has claimed the tall ship HMS Bounty off the shore of North Carolina. The replica of the original Bounty was build for the 1962 Marlon Brando film, "Mutiny on the Bounty." 2 members of her crew are currently unaccounted for, the other fifteen are reported as in life boats and in the midst of being rescued amid 18-foot waves. There are conflicting reports as to the number of missing crew, however.

It is unclear why the ship put out to sea with Sandy bearing down. Perhaps it was feared she would be swamped or run aground if left in port. Either way, a maritime treasure has been lost.

BREAKING: HMS Bounty Sinks Off N.C. Coast, Some Crew Members Missing
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

HMS Bounty claimed St Petersburg, FL as her port for a long time. I've seen her when I drive by.

My friend Tony did alot of the rigging, being a master rigger.

RIP, Lady.

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-ship/index.php
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Trillium

Oh, how sad!  I had heard they were planning to bring her to Galveston for the winter season, such a shame we won't get to see her now!
Got faerie dust?

Bob of the Lake

Very sad indeed. I never saw the Bounty in person but remember being fascinated by an article and photos of the ship being built. Was it in National Geographic, maybe?  I was inspired to design and build a model of her based on those photos. I'm sorry she is gone.
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Rowan MacD

It's such a sad story.
   The crew tried to sail her out of harms way, but with no propulsion other than sails she met the fate of so many of her ancestors.
  RIP Lady, you are in good company.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Captain Jack Wolfe

Agreed. The common practice is to get your ship out of the harbour and skirt the storm as best you can. Otherwise you can be assured of your vessel getting dashed to piece against the docks and shore.

Unfortunately, Sandy was too big a monster to skirt.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Rowan MacD

Reading Captain Walbridge's update to the ship's owner on Saturday night, that looks to be exactly what he was trying to do:

"Good evening Miss Tracie,

I think we are going to be into this for several days, the weather looks like even after the eye goes by it will linger for a couple of days.

We are just going to keep trying to go fast and squeeze by the storm and land as fast as we can.  I am thinking that we will pass each other sometime Sunday night or Monday morning

All else is well
    Robin"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gcaptain/2012/10/29/sandy-claims-tall-ship-hms-bounty-sinks-in-the-graveyard-of-the-atlantic/

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Captain Jack Wolfe

Thanks for posting that, Rowen. It's a bit chilling to read, knowing the ship's fate.

Unfortunately, that's the sea. You can do everything right, everything spot on, and it will still kill you.

Lavender

Such a sad sad day.  I saw the ship in 2008 in St Petersburg.  She was beautiful.
IWG #3440
Landshark #19

Chelsy

Sad to know. But I suppose there's no better grave for a ship than her sea. Hope the missing crew return safely.
TNRF (2003-2015, 2017)
CRF (2012-present)
GARF (2015-present)
KYHRF (2005-2009)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Welsh Wench on October 29, 2012, 08:47:00 AM
HMS Bounty claimed St Petersburg, FL as her port for a long time. I've seen her when I drive by.

My friend Tony did alot of the rigging, being a master rigger.

RIP, Lady.

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-ship/index.php

My friend Allison Weldon's ex husband worked on the Bounty.  She lived in St. Pete's & I lived in Dunedin & both worked for a tour company on the beaches.  I remember the Bounty.  Sad for the loss of the ship, sadder still for the loss of lives.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Captain Jack Wolfe

Deckhand Claudene Christian has been recovered and taken to hospital. The Coast Guard stated her condition as "unresponsive."
UPDATE: Sadly, the official HMS Bounty page on Facebook reports that Claudene Christian has fallen asleep in death.

Captain Robin Walbridge is still missing.

Lady Nicolette

Very nasty storm.  One of my favourite films growing up, such a beautiful ship.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

DonaCatalina

I hope the best for Captain Robin; but I fear the worst.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Jack Wolfe