News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

something to consider

Started by Queen Bonnie, November 15, 2012, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Bonnie

Could there be a possibility of a few no smoking pubs or performance areas at Sherwood? I am asking as I had to miss 2 weekends of TRF due to second hand smoke.I was very ill.TRF is getting to be a very smokey faire. I know it is outdoors but the smoke is everywhere and hard to avoid. I try to sit down in an area where no one is smoking to enjoy a show or eat something- and sure enough someone sits down and lights up next to me.The Sea Devil is impossible! I have not been able to see Iris and Rose. There are no non smoking venues at TRF. It is getting hard to avoid smoke and smokers. I am allergic - and Lord A died of lung cancer. I hope Sherwood will give some consideration to non smokers.
Thank you.* Steps off soap box.*
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

SQiRL

Lady Kett

Even as a smoker, I support this. Just give me an out of the way corner to smoke in...I will be more than happy. And Our Queen would be happy. Win-win.

Merlin the Elder

I hadn't noticed it as an issue at Sherwood, but I've only been a couple of weekends.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

PollyPoPo

I've been there every weekend for past couple years and not really noticed smokers, only the remains, especially when not placed in the butt cans.

Then again, most of my time is spent outside at smaller stages where the wind (and rain) moves the smoke quickly.  The pub and seating areas might be different.

As an ex-smoker myself, I am usually acutely aware of smoke nearby.

Maybe I am finally getting over the intense cravings whenever I smell someone lighting up.  After all, it's only been 23 years - 24 as of May 28, 2013, 10:43 p.m.  
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

DonaCatalina

Sherwood is not as bad as TRF by amy stretch. But I forsee an acute problem as attendance continues to increase. I fill myself up with steriods and allergy medicine before faire just to avoid the worst of the reactions.
Even ONE non-smoking place would be a refuge for allergy sufferers like me...and even more sensitive ones like Queen Bonnie.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

The owners/management of Sherwood have always been quite responsive to suggestions. It would certainly be good to nip the problem early, before it gets out of hand. For someone like Sholo, who already had an episode this year, the smoke could be life-threatening.

Certainly, for any area of congregation—seating areas for shows, pubs, restaurants—should all be non-smoking areas.

Anyone caught flipping their butts should be drawn and quartered! Well, that may be extreme, but good grief, people! I can't stand thoughtless people!

Lady Kett

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 17, 2012, 07:08:08 AM
Anyone caught flipping their butts should be drawn and quartered! Well, that may be extreme, but good grief, people! I can't stand thoughtless people!

I second this too!!!

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Field dress 'em and toss your butts in a trash can... it isn't hard...

*habit i picked up in the Army* ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Merlin the Elder

My dad would do that.  I got into the habit of squeezing them out, and dropping the butts into the cellophane of my pack until I came upon a container.   My son (who's never smoked) got tickled at me once when we were visiting him in NYC. I made a point to find a container as we walked down this one street that was actually rather trashed.

Selkie

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 17, 2012, 07:08:08 AM
The owners/management of Sherwood have always been quite responsive to suggestions. It would certainly be good to nip the problem early, before it gets out of hand. For someone like Sholo, who already had an episode this year, the smoke could be life-threatening.

Certainly, for any area of congregation—seating areas for shows, pubs, restaurants—should all be non-smoking areas.

Nonsmoking areas would be great! I can't stand it when someone starts puffing away a few feet from me, and their smoke starts making me cough. (Also has allergies.)
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

Alerrick Afon Adou

This a Great Idea. Alot (not all) of smokers have no consideration about offending other non smokers with there habit. have a few smoking areas (not right in front of the gate either). More and more places are NOT allowing this, Why not the faires. GREAT IDEA.....................Huzzah

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Lady Kett on November 15, 2012, 06:21:36 PM
Even as a smoker, I support this. Just give me an out of the way corner to smoke in...I will be more than happy. And Our Queen would be happy. Win-win.
Lady Kett is one of the most considerate smokers that I know. It's sad that a few inconsiderate people have led us to plead for more rules and regulations.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Ginette

Working in a garb shoppe at Sherwood, and close to other garb shoppes and food venders, we get both smokers and nonsmoker.  But the smokes are good in not standing to close to the shoppes with a lit cigarette and using the butt buckets, buckets of sand. The higher ups are very great in that they will listen to what everyone has to say. 
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Queen Bonnie

This is not as bad a problem yet at Sherwood , as it is at TRF . Many other faires are non smoking and very successful. We need to think of solutions before it gets to be a problem like TRF. TRF needs designated breathing smoke free areas!I want Sherwood to be a healthy faire! It is very unhealthy for children as well as allergic folks like me- and the poor performers- to be subjected to smoke all day everywhere!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!