News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

something to consider

Started by Queen Bonnie, November 15, 2012, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I have not been to any faires yet that are non-smoking, but most have discouraged smoking in the areas of performances. If I were still smoking, I would likely not attend a faire that did not permit smoking on premises. Designated smoking areas are a good compromise.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

scarletnyx

I agree with what some others have said in this thread ; this isn't a problem at Sherwood right now. However, I really don't see it being an issue from Rennies at least. From the get-go, Sherwood has stressed that they want to be a family friendly faire inside the gates, and that's wonderful! I would assume most smoking Rennies would hear those words and do everything in their power to keep their smoke away from little lungs. However, I am not taking into account any Danes that come in ( or other weird hangers on... Quick Side note ; during the Celtic Fest, my clan had two ravers come up to our camp asking for bacon. I still don't know what to think of that ) or anyone else that sees that and ignores it. On the other hand, I would love a sit down place to smoke. I hate feeling rushed when smoking one of my cloves, and smoking is supposed to be relaxing anyway.

In short, it's something to discuss, but I really don't see billowing smoke clouds in the future for awhile, if at all.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

rengypsy

i actually like the idea.  we will talk about it at our next admin meeting.  i will recommend the new enclosed pub be our test.  thanks, rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

scarletnyx

Quote from: rengypsy on November 28, 2012, 10:32:40 AM
i actually like the idea.  we will talk about it at our next admin meeting.  i will recommend the new enclosed pub be our test.  thanks, rengypsy

Huzzah! Also, because of the Hookah lounge, my husband has a newfound love of smoking hookah. It is literally his favorite place in the fair; sit down, smoke, and watch people go by. It even beats out the joust, albeit by a small margin :D
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

PollyPoPo

Quote from: scarletnyx on November 28, 2012, 10:00:39 AM
I agree ... ( or other weird hangers on... Quick Side note ; during the Celtic Fest, my clan had two ravers come up to our camp asking for bacon. I still don't know what to think of that ) ...

Off-topic – do not bother to read unless you are curious.

Why would ravers ask for bacon?

Some proclaim to be PLUR (peace, love, unity, respect – yeah, right, as long as they get their way)

Big theme for ravers, music scene.

Somewhere along the line bacon got picked up in the themes (high calorie, energy packed?)

Tee shirts with PEACE, LOVE, UNITY, RESPECT AND BACON STRIPS printed on the front.

Add in a performer (band?) named Bacon.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, when people like me can do a quick Google search for anything and come up with this then the "scene" is passé and no longer relevant to the cutting edge of music or whatever. 

That's why Facebook is doomed.  The day I opened an account, it was way past the mainstream point and into the toddling stage.  ::)
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: *Teach* on December 02, 2012, 11:06:59 AM.... The current wave of banning smoking from everywhere (even bars which baffles me) has gotten a bit extreme I think.
There is a flip side as well, I do get aggravated when I find a place to smoke and people who weren't there before show up and then ask me to move. I was there first, you made the choice to come where I am.
That was my two cents. Just asking for consideration for all sides.

*stepping off my rumbox now*

Valid points, Teach. If you were there first, they have no right to ask you to leave, unless you're in an area that is normally used for groups congregating...stage seating, for instance.

A compromise was reached in Arkansas which allows the establishment (bars/restaurants) to choose, but in choosing to permit smoking, keeps the establishment to 21+.  Where performers are working, this can work both ways. Some have no difficulty in smokey rooms, others cannot work in those conditions.

Riff Raff

There were several times at TRF this year that someone was smoking right by me in the seating area for a show. That's not cool at all. I do tend to expect it more at Sea Devil Tavern for instance, but it is also a performance area. This issue has never cropped up for me a single time at Sherwood, though.

Glaodian

Folks, lets try not to enact the shotgun effect.  I.E., let not punish all smokers because of a very select few idiots.

I currently do not smoke, but have off and on for over 25 years.  And I do my best to not smoke around anyone who is a non-smoker.  Most smokers do tend to respect those around them so as not to cause any issues.  We are running out of places to smoke.  But there are those few idiots that do not care about anyone else but themselves.  So, if anything, management needs to punish those few.

I, for one, would not visit a faire that banned smoking or limited it so very few select areas. 
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

nolekhan

I am a non-smoker and actually developed health problems from second-hand smoke. I do have friends who smoke and I understand their desires and rights. I don't believe it is unreasonable to ask that shops (as indoor spaces with potentially damageable merchandise) be declared smoke-free. Performance spaces, as places where people sit in close proximity for longer period, would also be preferable as smoke-free. I can keep walking in the lanes to avoid smoke but the debate for me is regarding food places or seating by food vendors.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Glaodian on December 03, 2012, 11:05:46 AM
Folks, lets try not to enact the shotgun effect.  I.E., let not punish all smokers because of a very select few idiots.
.... (**snip**) ...
I, for one, would not visit a faire that banned smoking or limited it so very few select areas. 

I wouldn't call it a punishment, Glaodian. The fact is, it can be, and is, harmful to many, a mere irritant to others. It should not be allowed where people congregate (except to congregate to smoke).

Yeah, we are running out of places to smoke, but there's a reason for that. Don't forget we are also running out of smokers. Lots of us have quit. Lots of us have died.  We're now down under 20% of the population smoking. When I started smoking, it was more than twice that.  I've not had a puff in over 4 years.

HOWEVER! Having been an addicted smoker, I can tell you, I would NOT have been able to visit a faire that had banned smoking. Smoking areas should be provided, but at the same time, it may be necessary to make them rather remote to the rest of the faire. Some people I know are highly allergic to smoke.

scarletnyx

Quote from: PollyPoPo on December 02, 2012, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: scarletnyx on November 28, 2012, 10:00:39 AM
I agree ... ( or other weird hangers on... Quick Side note ; during the Celtic Fest, my clan had two ravers come up to our camp asking for bacon. I still don't know what to think of that ) ...

Off-topic – do not bother to read unless you are curious.

Why would ravers ask for bacon?

Some proclaim to be PLUR (peace, love, unity, respect – yeah, right, as long as they get their way)

Big theme for ravers, music scene.

Somewhere along the line bacon got picked up in the themes (high calorie, energy packed?)

Tee shirts with PEACE, LOVE, UNITY, RESPECT AND BACON STRIPS printed on the front.

Add in a performer (band?) named Bacon.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, when people like me can do a quick Google search for anything and come up with this then the "scene" is passé and no longer relevant to the cutting edge of music or whatever. 

That's why Facebook is doomed.  The day I opened an account, it was way past the mainstream point and into the toddling stage.  ::)

Lol, I have no idea why they wanted it. We didn't have it, but they did get me craving bacon over a fire... Mmmm....
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Tink

I may make a few enemies by saying this, but I agree whole-heartedly with setting up designated smoking areas at both Sherwood and TRF.  For those out there who do smoke, you made that choice.  People who chose not to burn and tar up their insides should not be forced to suffer just because you don't want to be inconvenienced.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

maeven

Quote from: Tink on December 07, 2012, 07:39:08 PM
People who chose not to burn and tar up their insides should not be forced to suffer just because you don't want to be inconvenienced.

The phrase "tar up their insides" made me smile just now. Just saying. :)
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

mpullen

Your wishes have been granted. The new Three Stags Pub will be a no smoking area. Performers will be casted who desire a no smoking environment.

BTW, this from a heavy smoker who bows to the desire of those who have kicked the habit.

Queen Bonnie

Huzzah! I will enjoy having a place I can breathe fresh air and enjoy a performance without having to ask someone not to smoke!!! !!! Thanks Mike!!!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!