News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Going to 1st audition at Bristol, looking for advice

Started by jrock118, November 29, 2012, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrock118

Greetings all!  I am planning to audition for Bristol this Feb.   A long time wish has been to work at the faire, and I'm going to take a shot.

I am prepping 2 monologues, 1 classical 1 contempary.  I also play a little guitar and sing, so I'm prepping a song or two;  I do not know a lot of ren faire music, so I am going to do an Irish folk song.  I am also trying to prep for improv.

I have some dance training.

An 18yr old theater student I am not.  I'm an older fellow, well, i'll be 40 soon(older to me)

Can anyone give me any tips or advice on what to expect or prep for?  Do I even have a shot at getting on the cast?  

Thanks, and see you at the faire this summe!  I'll be there either way   ;D

-john

stonebiscuit

Never auditioned or worked for Bristol, but it sounds like you're doing pretty well on your own. Most faires are looking for enthusiasm, preparedness, and willingness to play and have fun. General advice I can give you would be to make big choices in your monologues and lots of eye contact.

Break legs!

jrock118

lys1022

Quote from: jrock118 on December 10, 2012, 06:53:13 PM
Thank you Sir! 

Much appreciated   :)

Heh...actually, she's a "ma'am", not a "sir". :)

And I second her thoughts.  Most faires aren't looking for the finished product when it comes to cast members, not like stage acts where they definitely want the finished product!  They'll teach you and guide you if you get on performing company.  Each festival has their own style and length of training, but what they really REALLY want are people who will play well with others and not be afraid to fail.

Again, I second the previous and say, "Break a leg or two!"
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Aderin

Wonderful advice from above, just be calm and be yourself. They like to surpirse you with props or conversation rules where you have to think on the fly. if you are calm you will have no problems!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.