News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Iowa Renaissance Festival

Started by Rowan MacD, December 17, 2012, 04:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rosalind

Looks like Linda (Lady Leonora) and I will be at the Sudbury Motel, about 6 miles away. Looking forward to NOT CAMPING!

Rowan MacD

I'll look into that.  Everyplace but the B&B was full last year.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Generally we would have room at our house, but recently two of my children have moved back temporarily, so the 'inn' is quite full  We are only about 20 minutes away.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Sunshine

If I get my sewing done in time, I'll be there! Any tips or must-sees? I've never been before, but Lady Rowen recommended it and you're all going so I figure it's probably nice. :)

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Sunshine on May 10, 2013, 09:36:43 PM
If I get my sewing done in time, I'll be there! Any tips or must-sees? I've never been before, but Lady Rowen recommended it and you're all going so I figure it's probably nice. :)

You must see me  :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Sunshine

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on May 10, 2013, 10:47:36 PM
You must see me  :)

Done, sir! But you might need to look for blue instead of yellow. :)

Dustin

Depending on finances, I would really like to make it at least one day. It's only a little over an hour from home, just have to make sure I have money for gas and admission and food and souvenirs.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Rowan MacD

We're making plans now.  It's about 4 hours from here (Omaha), and since the grandkids are at the 1/2 way point, it's worth the trip for us. 
  Sunshine-Blue instead of yellow?..check.  Will you be bringing your bow?  Look us up for a favor ;D ,  I look forward to seeing you again!  Hopefully Dustin can make it too!
  You can do sightseeing in Amana Colonies- the museums and shops we went to were free. 
  The restaurants are nice, and you can buy 8 oz bottles of that tasty, sweet rhubarb wine if you are so inclined (and of age ;)).
   The Colony where the faire is at is not one of the mainstream 'touristy' colonies, but there was a grill/pub just down the street from the park.  I don't know if it's still open.

IWG wench #3139 

Prof. John Bull

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on February 18, 2013, 06:51:05 PM
The most important thing at faire to us is the music (of course besides seeing our friends and meeting new ones), so we really like to have a variety of good music. 

Hardtack Jack will be performing there.

https://www.facebook.com/HardtackJack

Lady Renee Buchanan

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to going back to this faire again.  It's been many years, and the music sounds great!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Sunshine

Quote from: Rowen MacD on May 13, 2013, 09:20:58 AMSunshine-Blue instead of yellow?..check.  Will you be bringing your bow?  Look us up for a favor ;D ,  I look forward to seeing you again!

I confess, that bow's not actually mine in my icon. I just liked the shot (no pun intended). I've got pictures of me doing just about everything at the faire except riding a pony now, I think, including getting swarmed by baby pigs. O_o Looking forward to seeing you too! :D

I've never been to the Amana Colonies before. I thought maybe they were Amish, but looking it up I see it's a different kind of commune? Do they mind people dressed in garb if it's for the faire, or is it more appropriate to change before taking in some of the sights?

Lady Renee Buchanan

We went to the faire several years ago, and it poured.  After staying in the pavilion for over an hour with no signs of let up, we decided to go into the Colonies - garbed - and eat at one of the homestyle restaurants.  Still in garb, because we didn't bring anything to change into.

The serving staff were nice, didn't say a thing, but the stares from the other diners were hysterical to us.  And here I am in my wench outfit - with all that entails, girls and all, and I went into the restroom, and a woman asked me, "Are you Amish?"

I'm sure that with the faire going on, the locals are used to seeing garbed people walking around, so I wouldn't worry about changing, unless you feel more comfortable doing so.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rowan MacD

We are booked at the Sudbury Motel. 
  She said she was getting short on rooms-so if you need to reserve one, you might want to do it now.
IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

http://www.cbs2iowa.com/news/features/morning/stories/iowa-renaissance-festival-292.shtml

Video spot for the faire on the News-The site looks nice (what you can see of it). Includes some footage of last years' faire....
  The couple featured will be running it starting next year...Greg is getting closer to complete retirement.

"Everything is so green"-
History of the World, Part I-Mel Brooks as King Louis.
IWG wench #3139 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Rowen MacD on May 22, 2013, 03:14:40 PM
http://www.cbs2iowa.com/news/features/morning/stories/iowa-renaissance-festival-292.shtml

Video spot for the faire on the News-The site looks nice (what you can see of it). Includes some footage of last years' faire....
  The couple featured will be running it starting next year...Greg is getting closer to complete retirement.

"Everything is so green"-
History of the World, Part I-Mel Brooks as King Louis.

The actual footage of the interview with the new people was from the TV station's property, so there are no houses or passing traffic on the faire site  ;).  Looks like there are more vendors this year too, should be a great time.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell