News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Iowa Renaissance Festival

Started by Rowan MacD, December 17, 2012, 04:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Looking forward to seeing everybody on Saturday...Chance of rain, but the site is grassy, no mud, and plenty of places to get under a roof if it squalls.
   I have a fyne bottle of Peach Melomel courtesy of Moonstruck Meadery, and I plan to get some Rhubarb wine in the Colonies.
   Temps will be in the comfortable 60's for those of us wearing heavy garb.   Memorial day will be 72.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Rowen MacD on May 23, 2013, 06:04:03 PM
    Looking forward to seeing everybody on Saturday...Chance of rain, but the site is grassy, no mud, and plenty of places to get under a roof if it squalls.
   I have a fyne bottle of Peach Melomel courtesy of Moonstruck Meadery, and I plan to get some Rhubarb wine in the Colonies.
   Temps will be in the comfortable 60's for those of us wearing heavy garb.   Memorial day will be 72.

Have you ever tried their capsumel?  Looks interesting.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DeadBishop

So close, yet so far away!  I'm going to be in Ankeny visiting family this weekend.  If I can pull a rabbit out of my hat, maybe I can convince them into a road trip. :)

R/F.com member since 2003

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: DeadBishop on May 23, 2013, 10:38:28 PM
So close, yet so far away!  I'm going to be in Ankeny visiting family this weekend.  If I can pull a rabbit out of my hat, maybe I can convince them into a road trip. :)

keep me informed DB - would be good to see you.  Do you know Goody? - she is also coming
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

Every time we have gone to this faire, it has poured rain.  The day before could have been beautiful, but when we'd go, it would rain.  Heavily.

I am hoping to go tomorrow to meet up with some friends, and it looks like --  rain.

We'll see tomorrow morning how I feel about slogging 2 hours each way in a thunderstorm.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on May 24, 2013, 05:47:04 AM
Every time we have gone to this faire, it has poured rain.  The day before could have been beautiful, but when we'd go, it would rain.  Heavily.

I am hoping to go tomorrow to meet up with some friends, and it looks like --  rain.

We'll see tomorrow morning how I feel about slogging 2 hours each way in a thunderstorm.

nooo - stay away  ;D   just kidding of course - look for us if you are there - we are prepared for rain.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

60% chance of rain tomorrow the weather is now saying.  Is it me?  My husband thinks so.  Since he's not going tomorrow and I am and it's supposed to rain, he says I'm the jinx, not him!
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Lady Renee Buchanan

When I looked this morning, it was 100% chance of rain, with a band of yellow, orange, and red thunderstorms shortly outside of the Middle Amana Colonies.    So I decided to stay home.

Did it end up thunderstorming and raining all day?  I wished I had gone, but I would have had to drive through heavy thunderstorms (according to the weather map) to get there.  I hope all had fun anyways.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Rowan MacD

It was coming down pretty good when we left.
  Apparently this does not faze the locals though.  You have to admire the die hard mundanes (and a few faire virgins) who showed up today.  We had quite a few patrons, most of which just threw on a poncho or brought an umbrella and shopped their little hearts out.  The food vendors were stocking coffee and hot cocoa.  We hung in there until my skirts got wet then started dragging, so it was time to go.   
  Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit better, as is Memorial day. 
   We had such gorgeous weather last year!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Sir Ironhead

Live about a hour directly north and when I looked out the window and saw nothing but water.  Checked the weather for the Amanas and saw a purple blob and decided that I'll try tomorrow.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Sir Ironhead on May 25, 2013, 07:02:59 PM
Live about a hour directly north and when I looked out the window and saw nothing but water.  Checked the weather for the Amanas and saw a purple blob and decided that I'll try tomorrow.

Look for and say hello. We will be there all 3 days ( well now down to 2 )
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lord Clisto of York

Lady Renee, we missed you guys in Dubuque. The weather was fantastic and in the 80's both days. Did you go to Janesville last weekend instead?

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Lady Renee Buchanan

Hi Clisto!

Yes, I was at Janesville both days.  I so wish Dbq wouldn't hold the faire the same weekend as Janesville, which has just celebrated its 8th year.

In the future, couldn't Dbq change to the first weekend in May?  The second is Mother's Day, and I understand that's probably not the best weekend for a faire, but the third weekend has always been Janesville.

On Saturday, I met friends from Bristol, and on Sunday, Steve and I went by ourselves.

Hated to miss Dbq, but that's how it worked out.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Lord Clisto of York

DBQ has always been on the weekend before Memorial Day. The problem is there used to be 5 weekends in May before last year and everything worked out. Now with only 4, they both end up on the same weekend again. It will always stay on that weekend and conflict until probably next year 2014 when once again there will be 5 weekends in May I am thinking. The next after that would be 2020. I don't even want to think that far ahead. I will be in my mid 60's. LOL...

Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Lady Renee Buchanan

Clisto, I believe the first year at Storybook Park, it was in June.  And it didn't conflict the second year, either. It's just been since it's been held at Albrecht Acres.  I was told that the camp opens Memorial Weekend, so the dates were changed to before then, hence the conflict with Janesville.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs