News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Coming "Home" ...

Started by Magister, December 27, 2012, 05:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

So it would seem, that after over 15 years away I am coming "home". 

I say it with quotes because home will always be Cork, but when I moved to the US, it was Detroit that I landed.  I went to Uni there, I have fond memories of there, I first learned about Renn Faires... there.  I first worked a faire there.

Holly was my first faire, and I can't tell you all how happy I am that it will again be my "home" faire!

The closing on the sale of this house is set for the 15 January, and I'll be again in the mitten by the end of the month.  Yay.  Then the house hunting begins....

Anyway, I'm sure none of you care, but I had to tell someone that it's official.  Good bye Flori-duh, hello Michigan!

I hope to get the opportunity to meet all of you who call MIRF home this coming season, if not before.

- Mag
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

max and kate

Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

Magister

@Max and Kate

Thanks.  I'm really looking forward to getting up there.  I'm admittedly a little concerned about the snow and cold weather as it's been quite a long time since I've had to deal with it, but the chance to have four seasons again and the general ability to be outside without melting is a big plus.

I'm sure I'll adjust.  Until then, I'll be easy to spot.  I'll be the big guy in the biggest fluffiest warmest coat I can find.

Another thing I'm very much looking forward to is seeing how Holly has changed in the 15 years I've been away.  I moved south in 1997, and that was the last year I was able to attend.  Over the years I've stopped to look at some of the photos you all post and of course talk to friends still up there, but that's no substitution for seeing it.

Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to hopefully meeting you both in the future.

- Mag
Magister

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

It's changed a bunch, gotten a lot bigger, and got a bit of a face lift a few years back. You'll love it.

Magister

Holly has grown, huh?  It was already a good size faire. 

Rose coloured glasses and all, but I always thought Holly's grounds were nice in comparison to many faires I've been to since. 

The one negative that still sticks in my mind though was the mud.  Oh man.. the mud.  Sometimes you'd be stomping around in mud up to your knees.

Did they ever try to do anything about that?

-Mag
Magister

Celtic Lady

Welcome "home" Mag.
Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman is correct. Hollygrove has gotten bigger. It's quite nice.
As for the mud... they have been adding wood chips, bark, etc. It's not too bad. Last year (2012) it was very dusty (cough cough, sneeze).

Magister

@Celtic Lady

Thank you...  Glad to hear they started trying to do something about the mud.  I'm looking forward to seeing the faire this next season... Augustish if my memory serves.  Hope to see you there!

- Mag
Magister

Magister

So... I've finally "landed".

I ended up buying a place north of Lansing and West of Flint in a little town called Owosso.  No, I hadn't heard of it before, either.

Anyone in or around the area?  Would love to hear suggestions of what to do or even get together sometime.

- Mag
Magister

Ladyfair

Mags.... you'll love the new Hollygrove.....although Fittlesworth does have that big orange thing that throws off heat.... giggle  8)
Lady Penny Clan Sutcliff - MI Chieftess
2013 Penny family Gathering Sept 7-8
Ren Vet
IWG Wench #3523

Jade

I  know exactly where  Owosso  is!  My  college has a campus there.   I didn't go to that one,  but I've been there.   As for  faire,  you are there just in time for  it.  Opening weekend is this  Saturday-Sunday.