News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Care and Feeding of your Noble Renaissance Garb

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, June 30, 2008, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordPaulet

I recently purchased a steamer...for all my suits i wear :D
so basically I do the same to my costuming...its the basics of what the dry cleaners do...and it cleans by shooting steam through the clothing...Its also phenominal at taking stains out (with the little brush attachment) and leaves my clothing wrinkle free :D

peggyelizabeth

Quote from: Baroness Doune on July 06, 2008, 11:29:25 AM
Mentioning that it reduces the sting of nettles made me decide to order it.  We certainly have no end of burning nettles in our backyard.

The Cub in Chanhassen has it in the laundry aisle, you might be able to get it near you too.

Merry

I am only middles so all my garb is washable so far.  BUT, I did hear a great tip at Valhalla this year.  Valhalla is a VERY dusty fair and many of us wondered if we were just spreading the dirt around when we washed our garb.  The wash water gets filthy!  Rather than washing it twice, someone suggested putting a tennis ball in the dryer and tumbling your garb BEFORE washing.  The ball knocks off most of the dust!

I don't know if dryers would be wise for those with beaded work that could catch and snag, but a gentle beating of the garb on the clothesline would be just as good as a tennis ball in the dryer:)

Nailin

I did a search for steamers and this thread popped up - I was curious to see if anyone had a clothing steamer and if so who makes it? - I detest ironing with a passion and would love to use a steamer on cotton skirts/shirts - Looking for a portable steamer that travels well - Thanks for any help
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

VIII

One of our performers hangs up his VERY fancy Noble garb outside and sprays it with a light misting of cheap vodka, swear to God.

Next day it is completely wearable with no smell of sweat OR vodka!

He's been doing this for several years with no deleterious effects to his garb.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

ArielCallista

I don't really have noble garb yet, but as for things i can't just throw in the washing machine (which is where ALL of my skirts go) I have to hand wash everything very carefully in my tiny dorm sink, so it honestly doesnt happen as often as it should. Febreeze is a wonderful thing in my opinion. I usually febreeze everything as soon as i take it off so the smell doesnt sink in. Besides this I usually just spot clean as needed.
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: VIII on November 25, 2009, 10:46:04 AM
One of our performers hangs up his VERY fancy Noble garb outside and sprays it with a light misting of cheap vodka, swear to God.

Next day it is completely wearable with no smell of sweat OR vodka!

He's been doing this for several years with no deleterious effects to his garb.
At the theatre I worked at this summer, we sprayed all the costumes with a mixture of vodka and water. Sure enough, no stench!

GirlChris

Several of the costumers I know use the vodka trick. Just be careful with fake pearls- the vodka strips the coating right off.

Nailin

So no one uses a steamer for their garb?? I tried this downy wrinkle releaser but, that didn't work - any non ironing suggestions?
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

BLAKDUKE

I really have no choice in the matter.  My kings robes HAVE to go to the dry cleaners.  However I have been doing business with them for years and have a good rapport with them.  We count all of the jewels and make sure that is the count when I get them back.  Some have come off but so far they have been found and reattached.   For the BLAKDUKE outfit(pictured) my wife uses a product called DRYELL which can be purchased at the local grocery store.  We also use the water/vodka combo and for instant shower at the last minute FABREEZE is fabulous. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Betty Munro

I LOVE the use of vodka when cleaning garb.  I toss all undergarments and skirts in the washer, have a shot of vodka.  Hand wash bodices in the tub.  Have another shot of vodka.  Towel dry the bodices.  Have another shot of vodka.  Put the washing machine in the dryer, have another shot of vokda, hang up the bodice, stumble to the laundry room and search for the missing undergarments.  Oh, there they are, still in the washing machine.  hmmph.  Think I had better have another shot of ... hey, where has all the vodka gone?

Seamus Ex Machina

I concur with BLAKDUKE.   I've been using Dryel for years now, and it does a great job on frock coats.  All those dem buttons.   But I will  try the vodka......

Hey, where's my vodka...?
Legendary Hellraiser

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Betty Munro on November 29, 2009, 10:36:15 AM
Put the washing machine in the dryer, have another shot of vokda,

???  :o  so how did you get that whole washing machine into the dryer?  ;D
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Don Giovanni de' Medici

Ciao Tutti,

For my wardrobe, I am able to dry clean it, depending on the quality of the dry cleaners.  When it comes to noble's garb there is simply no way to be to careful, because as I am sure you all know it is an expensive mistake to repair or replace.  That is why I only do this very rarely, normally once after a long season's run.  In the normal everyday I use a different method.

I used to work in Disney Entertainment and a little trick I picked up there is to buy isopropyl alcohol 70% is standard and okay, but a mildly diluted 90% or so is better (though it is harder to find; it also takes off prosthetics and stage makeup too in case you wanted to know).  Again you have to be careful in making sure there is nothing in your fabric dye that will bleed.  Basically if you spray it right after you take it off, both inside and out, you will preserve the wardrobe better since it will not only kill the bacteria than can grow on a sweat doublet or bodice, but also eliminate the smell and clean it.  A light brushing may help as well after spaying if needed.  Just thought I would share.

Vincente
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
Ambasciatore del Granducato della Toscana
"Dio conserva il Papa"

dragongirl

Quote from: mollymishap on July 06, 2008, 08:16:52 AM
Hmmm...what about this: 

No matter how quickly I wash my chemises after I wear them, I wind up with yellowish stains in the underarm area after a few wearings.  I'm afraid to use bleach because...it's bleach.  SO, I usually hand scrub the daylights out of the area, which helps a little (I think), but the stain is still there.

Well I used to work in a Laundramat for 10 years and here are a few of our trick to clean the nasty clothes we used to get in. 
For a plain white chemise: soak in hot water and automatic dishwashing detergent.  I does not have to be a particular brand but the soak should be at least 30 minutes. 

For your decorated chemise: Make a paste of vinger and baking soda rub throughly into the affected area then wash as usual.

Once you get the stains out, try wearing stain shields for under arms.

Hope this helps!
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood