News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kindle vs paper books

Started by Rowan MacD, December 28, 2012, 09:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

OK.  I'm a avid reader and I don't have unlimited space to store my considerable library, so Hubby bought me a Kindle Touch (not the Fire, I have enough computers) for Christmas.
 So far,  I have mixed emotions regarding this gadget.  I have only played with this for a couple days, and have downloaded exactly 2 books.  I have yet to explore the 'extras' (most of which don't look interesting) so bear with me.

Cons (so far):

~The price of Kindle books (that I like) on Amazon are nearly comparable to hardback prices for books.   14.99?  WTF?

~Reading on a Kindle is not the same as reading a paper book.
  I have owned word processors and computers for 20 years, and have never liked reading lengthy stories on a computer screen for a number of reasons, all of which the Kindle possesses.  I am exploring fonts and hoping to somehow make this thing usable. My chief complaint thus far is that the screen only displays about 1/3 (1/2 at best) of the content of a typical paperback book page.  

~I don't borrow books from friends, don't know any friends with Kindle units that read the same books as I,  and don't use the library other than the rare research trip.
 From what these same friends have told me, sharing books and downloading for free form the library are the main perks of owning a Reader.

Pros (so far):

~ It's smaller than a book, and will fit in my purse.

~ I have a great aunt who is a horrible writer, bless her soul.   Her only book is available on Amazon, so I can at least say I read it, and bought a copy for $2.99.

~I'm pretty sure I saw a thesaurus and dictionary in there.

~It has capacity for hyperlinks.  This would save me running to my computer whenever I want to cross check sources (yeah, I do that).

~If you want to pay top dollar (see cons) you can download the latest bestseller instantly.  I am a bargain hunter, and have yet to pay $14.99 for any book that wasn't a collectable issue.  I don't think E-Books are collectable.

Any advice from Kindle owners on learning to enjoy this gift would be appreciated!

Note: edited to add a 'Pro'

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

Nimue has the apps for Kindle and a couple other eBook variants on her iPad, and she loves it, primarily because the arthritis in her hands makes holding a book for any length of time difficult. I hope my hands hold out, because I don't want to go to an eReader of any sort for full-length novels. Short stories would probably be okay.

No advice other than see if you adjust to the format over time. Oddly, some books are not even available in print anymore. Personally, I think that sucks.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

raevyncait

I do have the Kindle Fire, and in the week and a half that I have had it, I've honestly played more games than I have read, however I did borrow & read one short book. It wasn't terribly awful. I held back for a long time, mostly because I love the feel of a book in my hands, however I do see the following pros:
*download and re-read the same book over and over without wearing the physical book out (this is specifically why my sister-in-law got hers)
students can download texts instead of lugging around huge volumes (this is specifically why my nephew got his)
*portability, it's definitely much more portable than a large book is
*reading in bed at night, I have a tendency to fall asleep reading, and when I do that, I wake up in the middle of the night with the light on, and my book closed on the bed with no idea what page I was on. I can read my kindle with the light off, it puts itself to sleep if I don't turn the page for too long, and when I next wake it up, it's on the page where I left off.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Rowan MacD

Quote from: raevyncait on December 28, 2012, 11:31:21 AM
*students can download texts instead of lugging around huge volumes (this is specifically why my nephew got his)

*reading in bed at night, I have a tendency to fall asleep reading, and when I do that, I wake up in the middle of the night with the light on, and my book closed on the bed with no idea what page I was on. I can read my kindle with the light off, it puts itself to sleep if I don't turn the page for too long, and when I next wake it up, it's on the page where I left off.

I offered it to my hubby to download schoolbooks-there is a decent discount on them, even over renting...

I don't read in bed, so I don't need the 'back light' feature, though it would come in handy for poor light situations.  The 'pick up where you left off' feature would be handy for those times when the pup decides the book and/or the bookmark is a toy. Hopefully she won't decide the Kindle is one.  She 'brailled' my cell phone for me; puppy teeth marks everywhere.
IWG wench #3139 

iain robb

I like mine for traveling and backpacking, for the same reasons: I can carry more books in less space and weight. It's especially handy for long flights with layovers, like the 33-hour trip I have coming up next month.

I say that because at first I was thinking I took to it naturally, but I think perhaps I've taken it by necessity. That is, it's been so much better for my lifestyle, that I haven't even considered the drawbacks.

Except for the price of books.

I was hoping that would change now that the collusion that drove prices up has been exposed, but it has not. Oh well. There are a number of less expensive books, and there are specials. I just have to be careful. As an editor and writer myself, I cannot stand to read books where the author doesn't think it's important to use the language well. And there are far too many of them out there. My trick to avoid them is reading the reviews that give books the lowest ratings, to see if folks are griping about spelling and the like.

Gosh, I've rambled. I hope that was helpful ...

NoBill Lurker

The thing I love most about my Kindle is that Amazon has all the Classics for FREE!!! (Have like 60+ they might have been a bit too stuffy back in school, but now I can't get enough of them!)

Check out the free and special priced books for something you might like to take a chance on too!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Athena

I have a traditional Kindle (keypad) and a Kindle Fire. The Fire I use mostly as a tablet to surf the 'net and watch movies. I prefer to read on the traditional Kindle because back lighting bothers my eyes.

The two biggest advantages to ereaders are portability and space. I love physical books, but they can be a hindrance when travelling, especially when flying. The kindle easily goes into my handbag without weighing it down.

I agree about the pricing on ebooks, but if you're patient you can find some really good deals. Amazon usually has a sale every one to two months for books $3.99 and under, and many are from well known authors. There are also websites like eReaderIQ and Pixel of Ink that feature hundreds of free and reduced price books. The caveat is that many of these authors are self published, so you don't know what you're getting. I read a few books that were SO bad I couldn't even get halfway through. They were free, so the only thing wasted was time. Still, it's annoying when a novel seems promising and turns out to be a total dud.

IMO, ereaders enhance the reading experience, but will never completely replace actual books. In fact, I just ordered a beautiful hardcover book I've been dying to read from eBay, gently used, for $4.00. I'm a happy gal!  :)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Athena on December 28, 2012, 09:05:53 PM
Many of these authors are self published, so you don't know what you're getting. I read a few books that were SO bad I couldn't even get halfway through. They were free, so the only thing wasted was time. Still, it's annoying when a novel seems promising and turns out to be a total dud.
The 'self published' authors scare me, it reeks of 'fanfic' sites, and fiction.net.  They were originally called 'vanity press' also.  There are some rare jewels there, but most of it is trash.
    I take it that Amazon doesn't differentiate?
    Since I usually find an author I like and then devour all the books that they write, I'm not usually into taking a chance on 'free' stuff if I don't know the writer.  I have little enough time to indulge my passion for reading as it is.
Quote from: Athena on December 28, 2012, 09:05:53 PM
IMO, ereaders enhance the reading experience, but will never completely replace actual books. In fact, I just ordered a beautiful hardcover book I've been dying to read from eBay, gently used, for $4.00. I'm a happy gal!  :)
I found gently used copies of a few really good out-of-print cookbooks on Amazon, to replace those that my ex took (to piss me off, since he can't boil water) without my knowledge after the divorce.  Seriously happy camper.

IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

Quote from: iain robb on December 28, 2012, 04:23:22 PM
I was hoping that would change now that the collusion that drove prices up has been exposed, but it has not. Oh well.
I noticed this when I went to use my Amazon gift card to buy a Laurel K. Hamilton book.  
 Kindle edition was 'marked down' to $14.95.
 I have never paid $14.95 for any book by LKH.  Paperback editions go for $7.99 tops at B&N.  I can wait.
IWG wench #3139 

DonaCatalina

I received a Kindle HD for my birthday. So far I have created 39 Pandora stations and downloaded a free copy of 'A Christmas Carol'.
I prefer to read hard backs still.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

iain robb

Quote from: Rowen MacD on December 29, 2012, 09:59:26 AM
Quote from: iain robb on December 28, 2012, 04:23:22 PM
I was hoping that would change now that the collusion that drove prices up has been exposed, but it has not. Oh well.
I noticed this when I went to use my Amazon gift card to buy a Laurel K. Hamilton book.  
 Kindle edition was 'marked down' to $14.95.
 I have never paid $14.95 for any book by LKH.  Paperback editions go for $7.99 tops at B&N.  I can wait.

There are so many good books that I have not read -- classics, traditionally published or self-published -- that I can get for between nothing and $4.99, and so many specials, that I would not pay that either.

Today I got an Amazon special for $1.99 that was "normally" $9.99, and saw that it was the second in a series, so I snapped up the first one too, even though it was $4.99.

But I have to admit, I paid $9.99 for my pastor's new book, because he's reviewing my book and I really should read his; and I paid $9.99 for a Dresden Files book because the agent I would really like to represent my book represents that author and I've been told there are comparisons that can be drawn in a good way.

mehan

I went to an e-reader kicking and screaming.  Actually, I purchased one for my mother out west, thinking I could add books from here and save my little sister from having to library/bookstore for my mom.  when I sent it to her, she wanted NOTHING to do with it - so I inherited it. 

I have had it six months now and have come to enjoy it.  Mostly the portability of it. I still read hardcovers, but with the large amount of e-books available at the library and the ease of just "borrowing" books any time I want.  Gotta say its a valuable addition - and since I get 95% of my books from the library, I can't grump about price. 

Lady Kett

I don't have a book reader but did buy an iPad months ago. I like the classics for free. I like the "buy it now" when I am reading a series and there is a new book out. I like the "other people bought..." To peruse other things I might enjoy. I think iTunes is more reasonably priced in comparison to a paperback than amazon, but all in all, outside of long trips where books take up weight and space, I prefer hard copy books.

The one thing I hate hate hate...I can load a CD to iTunes, but I cannot load a book. I am not buying all my books twice, thank you very much. I realize there are different copyright issues in play, but unless and until I can load my personal hard copy library to the digital one, hard copy wins.

amy

I'll chime in here.   I have such trouble holding books any more that the kindle makes reading so easy again.   Believe it or not I have something like "tennis elbow" from holding my arms bent and my hands near my face reading or more often stitching that it has become really painful to hold open paperbacks, and I don't collect books at all so no need to have hardbacks.  If you are ever uncomfortable reading or have trouble with small font, or want to be able to read comfortably without your glasses on then you will love an e-reader.   Reading in bed is completely comfortable again as you can lay on either side and don't need to roll and adjust the book on a pillow or anything.   Never hurts to be able to carry 100 books in your pocket or purse either.

Athena

Quote from: Rowen MacD on December 29, 2012, 09:53:45 AM
I take it that Amazon doesn't differentiate?

No, so you really have to pay attention. Also, beware of authors you've never heard of who get a number of five star reviews, because some of those are padded. They get their friends and family to review their book, or create a fake account themselves. Make sure some of the reviews you read specify that it's a verified purchase (it will be a link underneath the reviewer's name), then you'll know it's legit.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb