News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Colorado RenFest Newbie

Started by LibraryPrincess, January 08, 2013, 10:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibraryPrincess

My friends and I are planning on attending your renfest this year (June 22-23), and I want to make sure we're prepared. I'm from Houston, TX and haven't done much travelling this far west or north, so I'm curious about the climate and weather conditions we should expect, as well as any other advice you can offer.

Please and thank you ^_^
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Climate - It goes from 40 degrees to low 100'sand can do both in a single day. Expect Rain, Snow (not likely but has happened), Hail, Nearby Tornado's, floods, down pours, scorching heat, humidy from 10% to 50%, and lots of dust on the day it does not rain and even if it does rain.

So Be prepared for everything. It can be freezing cold and wet and as I said scorching hot. Wear sun screen and keep it on though out the day. Make sure it has a high SPF because you will burn, trust me. Drink lost of liquids (Water, Lemonade - fresh squeezed, Iced Tea, Arnold Palmers). If you like to drink alcohol moderate it as you will feel it in the higher altitude and the heat. Head gear is wise and a must, heads burn easily. Dressing in layers is smart.

Wear great shoes as this fair and we are NOT kidding is Up-hill everywhere you go accept the exit gate but then it is up hill to get there from jousting.

Get there by 9am mountain time to prevent long walks to get to your carriage up hill or on the mass transit carriage (bus) which can be crowded. getting there by 9am you get closer parking like in the first 3 or 4 rows.

Oh Sun Screen and water, Use both always. You can go in and out to your carriage to drink water.

And most importantly... Have fun, wear lots of sun screen and drink plenty of liquids

Did I forget anything Baron? I feel like this lady has
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

LibraryPrincess

So not too different from Houston, just higher altitude? :P

As someone who gets an awful sunburn after being outside for 5 minutes on a cloudy day, I certainly won't forget the sunscreen, and lots of it. Although, my sinuses are pretty fond of humidity, so I'll probably need nose spray in addition to drinking lots of water?
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Merlin the Elder

No, it's a LOT different from Houston/TRF.  You're at a much higher altitude, MUCH drier climate (humidity-wise). It is easier to cool off...just find some shade. Thinner air and higher altitude, you WILL burn easier. You won't know you're dehydrating, because you won't be sweating like you do in Houston. It's easier to go one-ale-too-many because of these things.

The setting is beautiful, and as Lady DeLaney said, it is ALL uphill. We stayed in Castle Rock a couple years ago, and it was a 15-20 drive to faire.

If you easily dry out in your sinuses, DO carry something to hydrate your sinuses.

BE VERY, VERY AWARE! Some people can suffer tremendously from altitude sickness. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE! Alcoholic beverages do not count, and in fact are detrimental, if you aren't getting enough water.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LibraryPrincess

Not much of an alcohol drinker anyway. Thank you so much for the advice! ^_^
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Norfolk

Quote from: Lady de Laney on January 08, 2013, 12:35:07 PM
Did I forget anything Baron?

The Baron has returned permanently to Schaumburg, Lady Delaney, but I'll respond on his behalf.  You covered most all the bases, but allow me to reiterate with my own spin:  Some things about Larkspurshire can change dramatically from day to day, other attributes are constants.

Constants:
(1)  Altitude:  The altitude at front gate is approximately 6800 feet, and that is the lowest elevation on site.  For you flatlanders, the air will seem mighty thin.  Go slowly, drink MUCH more than you think you need, and rest often.
(2)  Terrain:  The site is steep and rocky in places.  Adequate footwear is an absolute must.

Mutables:
(1)  Temperature:  The average Festival day is sunny with temperatures in the mid 80's to low 90's.  Having said that, and as LD has indicated, we've seen temperatures in the 30's with snow showers, temperatures in the 40's with ice-cold rain all day, as well as temperatures over 105.  It's called mountain weather.  Come prepared for both extremes, REGARDLESS of what the weather guessers are predicting, since weather forecasts in these mountains are notoriously unreliable.
(2)  Humidity:  Typically very low, often under 20%, although it can occasionally be cold and wet.  On a typical day, however, you will dehydrate so fast you can't believe it, even if the temperature is moderate.  (We lose both patrons and cast members to dehydration nearly every single day of this festival.)  If you are not urinating at least every hour, you're not drinking nearly enough!  As for your sinuses, most folks do well with ordinary saline nasal spray used as needed.
(3)  Sun:  Although we have the occasional cloudy day as mentioned above, the average Festival day is cloud free.  With nearly 7000 feet less atmosphere between you and the sun's output, sunburn happens VERY quickly.  In addition, because of that radiant load, the difference between the temperature in direct sun and the temperature in the shade can be as much as 20 degrees.  (I know; I've measured it!)  Stay in the shade as much as possible!

Now that we've scared you half to death, please know that the Duchess and I are looking very much forward to welcoming you to Larkspurshire, and assure you that, with a few common-sense precautions, you will have a MARVELOUS time here.   We shall be in attendance upon Goode King Henry and Faire Queen Anne most of the day, but would appreciate it a great deal if you would approach and introduce yourselves to us as well as Their Majesties.  We absolutely LOVE showing off our festival to out-of-state rennies. 

Safe travels, and we'll see you in June!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Francisco Paula

Yes water. Yes get there early so you have front parking so if you have to run to the car it is quick and easy.

Castle Rock is nice place to stay and just down the road from the realm.

If you plan to bring in a flask hide it just in case. We are a peace tie realm they may have someone there to do it for you they may not.

Food: I love the fresh cut kettle fries, also the greenbeans with peanut sauce. Another is i get steak on a stake and cheesy bread and make a sandwich, kinda expensive but worth it.

Entertainment: If you have never seen Puke and Snot you will want to see them. If you have seen Arsene of Paris he is always worth seeing again. Washing well wenches also a must. If you enjoy bagpipes and drums Celtic Legacy if great to see especially for the ladies, high energy and men in kilts jumping around. The show i will be working as meat shield is the Great Cats of the World which will have leapards, tigers and more. Joust is good also, the final is the blood one.

Did i miss anything?

Merlin the Elder

DEFINITELY see the Great Cats show. Francisco is always good to see, but the cats are even better (sorry, lad). The turkey leg I had there was somewhere in the "awesome" category.

Francisco Paula

You should have seen the show last year Merlin. Dextor tried to swip at my counter part, then i had Rana a young leapard try and swip at me atleast she wasn't using claws like dextor was with vin.  ;D

Merlin the Elder

"Yoiks!" exclaimed the aged wizard.

JonnyRingo316

Thanks for the heads up. The previous questions are from my sweetie. I'm Jonny Ringo from TRF and Sherwood Forest Faire. I've worked TRF since 1998 on the Performance Company, and am currently a group leader, as well as Co-Head of the Fight Dept. As for Sherwood, I'm part of the Combat Tournament of Sherwood fight show. My sweetie, my buddy Ronnie (group leader and choreographer at TRF) plan on invading for a weekend and would love to see what you guys have going on up there. :) Thanks for info. Going to help us a lot.

~Jonny
TRF...Sherwood Forest Faire....Ye Olde Vlog....get your Ringo fix!

Norfolk

We're looking very much forward to having you and your compatriots here, JonnyRingo316!  Please do introduce yourselves as the opportunity presents.

Hausfrau Monica

There is another mini-invasion in the works. We are still in the planning stages but a number of parties will be attending the second last and last weekend of June. We are trying to have plans coincide with the Celtic weekend but the date hasn't been posted yet.

My son and I will be attending from the great white north with hopefully at least two others. Hopeful attendees from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas will be there as well. This will be a very special time for me to be with my darling Ian, see the faire and meet so many others that I only know yet by name. I can't wait to be back in Colorado and make CORF my new home faire.

Norfolk

Quote from: Hausfrau Monica on January 11, 2013, 05:20:32 PM
There is another mini-invasion in the works. We are still in the planning stages but a number of parties will be attending the second last and last weekend of June. We are trying to have plans coincide with the Celtic weekend but the date hasn't been posted yet.

My son and I will be attending from the great white north with hopefully at least two others. Hopeful attendees from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas will be there as well. This will be a very special time for me to be with my darling Ian, see the faire and meet so many others that I only know yet by name. I can't wait to be back in Colorado and make CORF my new home faire.

HUZZAH!!

Merlin the Elder

Hausfrau Monica... Am I reading that to say that you and Ian are planning to wed this June?!?  I was just thinking yesterday—seriously, I was—that I hadn't seen anything from Ian and you in some time. The post allays my fears, and pleases me greatly that you and Ian are doing so well together!

Who from Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma? We might consider joining up as well, if there's any money left...