News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mid-evil or Me-devil?!?

Started by VIII, January 10, 2013, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delireus

I've heard people pronounce it Medi-evil. 'Medi' as in 'medic' and evil, as in...Sauron is evil. (Mostly, I hear this from British people) It's like they really pronounce the 'i'.

Do you think the people trying to spell it sound out the word this way, which might explain (but not justify) their odd spellings?

I just say it as 'med-evil', but I suppose I could see how people might add in the 'ee' part in the middle. Am I in the minority in this pronunciation? Is everything I know a lie?!

My name is Shanon, with 1 N in the middle. That's my father's fault. I've been called Sharon my whole life, because some people can't tell the different between an n and an r. I could never have personalized pencils or whatever like the other children (and a pencil with a blacked out N just wouldn't do). I swear, I'm naming my kid something with a very common spelling!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Lady Renee Buchanan

Another word that I have heard pronounced 2 ways is "Renaissance"

Ren-ah-sanse

Ren-nay-sanse

Owain Phyfe pronounced it the second way, as do several cast members at Bristol.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

From what I could gather, "mee-dee-e-vil" is the most correct of the several accepted pronunciations.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Butch

Quote from: Delireus on January 16, 2013, 02:48:02 AM
I've heard people pronounce it Medi-evil. 'Medi' as in 'medic' and evil, as in...Sauron is evil. (Mostly, I hear this from British people) It's like they really pronounce the 'i'.

I've also heard Brits pronounce "aluminum" as "al-loo-MIN-ee-um" with the extra "eeeee" sound.

Norfolk

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 16, 2013, 10:28:27 AM
From what I could gather, "mee-dee-e-vil" is the most correct of the several accepted pronunciations.

You and I are in complete agreement, Wizard!
Just call me "Your Grace"

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Butch on January 16, 2013, 08:24:22 PM

I've also heard Brits pronounce "aluminum" as "al-loo-MIN-ee-um" with the extra "eeeee" sound.

They also spell it Alumin-I-um
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Dinobabe

If you watch Top Gear they joke about how we (Americans) pronounce it wrong!  lol
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Norfolk

Quote from: Dinobabe on January 17, 2013, 08:17:26 AM

If you watch Top Gear they joke about how we (Americans) pronounce it wrong!  lol

It appears that we truly are, as Sir Winston observed, a common people separated by a common language!

Lady Renee Buchanan

You say po-tay-toe.  I say po-tah-toe.

My British husband had to change to the American way of saying potato and tomato, because being an executive chef in a large kitchen with over 350 employees, nobody understood him when he pronounced them the British way.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Norfolk

This may be of interest on more than this particular pronunciation.  Try this wonderful site:

http://www.howjsay.com

You type in a word, hit "submit" and your computer speakers will then emit the proper British pronunciation of the submitted word.

As a performer who struggles with his "upper class" British accent, despite hours and hours practicing with Dr. Stern's CD, I find it invaluable.

Craigmeister

I think that mid-winter is mid-evil.  Bring on the faire season!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Norfolk on January 19, 2013, 10:24:44 PM

As a performer who struggles with his "upper class" British accent, despite hours and hours practicing with Dr. Stern's CD, I find it invaluable.

Don't sell yourself short, your character voice is quite good!!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Agreed, Gauwyn. Norfolk is on my A-List of on-cast performers.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LissaRoisin

Quote from: Craigmeister on January 24, 2013, 11:23:29 PM
I think that mid-winter is mid-evil.  Bring on the faire season!
I have to agree with this
IWG #3491
IFRP #1486
Loveland Castleteer
Captain of the Wenches Desire

LadyStitch

Thing that drove me a little nuts was when I studied over seas.  As it was a former British colony things were spelled in British English. I would be using my American computer over there and would get papers back saying my spelling was terrible, yet spell check said it was perfect.  UNTIL a friend of mine told me to go in and change my spell check to British English.  Then I was fine, until I got back home and was sending things with British spellings.

I still get caught up when it is color vs colour  and fair vs faire.  Both are correct spells but it depends on which side of the pond you are on. 

I am part of Toastmasters international. I keep telling the students that are members of the club.  If you can do a proper presentation in clear concise English you will score more points with the professor because they can properly understand you.  You will appear far more professional to them.  Many look at me like I'm nuts.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.