News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Forum outage and upgrade.

Started by Tom, January 11, 2013, 08:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Welsh Wench on January 18, 2013, 02:13:02 PM
How can I get rid of the chat box?

The chat is a shoutbox that can not be disabled by users. We are looking at moving it to the bottom of the page and I'm still investigating other options but I wanted to get something out there for those that did enjoy the chat feature.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

BLAKDUKE

Tom

I don't wish to appear unappreciative for the work that you do, but why do you software guru's
always have to muck up the visual works.  Just when everyone gets used to working with the screens the way they are, someone comes in and changes the entry screens and we all have to start over again hand have to relearn the system all over again.  O.K. you want better performance and more speed, great but leave the screens alone.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

DeadBishop

Unfortunately we couldn't keep the same "theme" as it was not compatible with the new software.  That is why the forum looks different now.  Functionality is still the same, just a new look. 

R/F.com member since 2003

BLAKDUKE

D.B.

Well I cannot agree with "the functions are the same"  The first time that I tried to log in the systems could not find my I.D.  Then it magically found it somehow.  Then when I clicked on the forum hot spot on the main page, it took me into some area of the forum that I had never seen before.  Basically it seems to hop-scotch all over the place.  It ain't fun, believe me.     
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Ian Maxwell

the chat box is nice, but I think a dedicated chatroom is needed.

Ian

Lady Renee Buchanan

Help!  Please!

The font is too small for me to read without straining my eyes.  Is there a way to make it bigger (a one time change, not having to change it every time I log in)?
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rani Zemirah

It all seems just fine to me.  I logged in smoothly, it took me straight to the forum page (which is where my bookmark is set, since I don't bother with the main page), the font is the usual size, and the color scheme is basically the same as before, the various blues.  It looks like avatars are a bit larger, which is only a good thing, since some of them were hard to see before... and there is a little bit of difference in the layout of the Forum page, with section separators being a bit more pronounced and forum names in a new color (orange... I like it!).  Member names appear in red now, and the online green light is in a slightly different spot... but everything else seems to be basically the same.  On my screen, at least.  I think it looks great, and it feels a bit more... modern and updated, I guess, than the old look.  Not really different, just... a bit more polished.  I like it!  :) 

Edit:
I like the new emoticons, also!  The smile actually LOOKS like a smile!  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Tom

Quote from: Welsh Wench on January 18, 2013, 02:13:02 PM
How can I get rid of the chat box?

The original chat system is back (click on chat in the menu to access it) and the shoutbox has been moved to the bottom of the main forum page and can be minimized if desired.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

Once Debauched

Most excellent new theme!  I like it!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't know what you did or how it happened, but the font is bigger today.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It is so much easier for these old eyes to read.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Toua Taru

I like the upgrade.

Only issue I seem to be having is when I'm either on the "unread posts since visit" or "new replies to my posts" and choose "mark all read", it'll clear all posts on both of these pages.

There a way to fix? Anyone else noticing this occurence as well?
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Merlin the Elder

No, it works as it did, just be sure to do the "new replies to my posts" first, as the "unread since last visit" is all inclusive.

PollyPoPo

Just wondering ...

In the old version, when I clicked a member name, I saw more info on the profile than now, such as web addresses and e-mails if the member had those marked as viewable by other members.  Is that no longer visible to us?

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

You can get some of that info if you click on the Members link. You can email those members who permit it using the email link there, but it goes thru the forum software.

Direct access to members' email eddresses isn't really a good idea because it opens the member up to being spammed.  There are programs out there that do nothing but collect eddresses from forums and other sources, then that information is sold to the spammers.