News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hall of the Mtn King--an underground dwarven faire?

Started by Tremayne, June 30, 2008, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

I think it would be a blast!

But imagine how much it would cost to shore up all those tunnels to current safety standards.  :o
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Cobaltblu

It sounds fun except for cave-ins, bats, spiders, no fresh air and poisonous gases, trip and fall hazards, power outages and no one being able to see to get out, etc.

But other than that it would be cool.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Tremayne

Quote from: Lavender on July 01, 2008, 08:59:55 AM
It sounds like a novel idea if the space were large enough.  The sanitation issue is something to keep in mind.  These portable toliets smell bad enough, imagine a row of them in an enclosed space.

That's definitely one thing that would be left outside.  ;)

There are people-moving logistics in an underground facility that aren't present in an open-air faire. Could be that the limited numbers of people allowed through caves at one time has to do with ventilation as DB cautioned. And there would have to be adequate escape lanes should it need to be evacuated for any reason.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Tremayne

Quote from: Cobaltblu on July 01, 2008, 11:21:56 AM
It sounds fun except for cave-ins, bats, spiders, no fresh air and poisonous gases, trip and fall hazards, power outages and no one being able to see to get out, etc.

But other than that it would be cool.

Regards,

CB

Well, we won't be expecting YOU to buy season tickets CB  ;D

Of course, some people love bats. The other issues mentioned other cave attractions somehow manage to get around and still attract people and make a go as a business--often in even more out-of-the-way places than we're in.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Alphonse

Well, I just read up the thread, first thing, this place I had mentioned to Tremayne is not a natural cave, it is a mine that was dug during WWII for what I am unsure, they said it was for limestone but that can be gotten easily enough with out tunneling.

But the place is huge. The Tunnels are wide enough that two semi sized trucks could pass and the roof is a good 20-30 ft high.There is one main tunnel with very large galleries off to the sides the tunnel ends in a large room with an opening that leads to the surface which also works to allow for good ventilation.

When we were teens my friend's and I would often meet here when the weather was cold or rainy outside, to party and hang out. I remember once at one of these impromptu parties counting 16 cars parked in the back room of this "cave".

Some folks noted that it would likely not be the best idea to have the whole fair inside, I agree completely but couldn't help but thinking that it would make for an excellent location for a fantasy themed faire. I doubt that few would find it claustrophobic and the cave like area would definitely add an air of mystery and offer shelter and a stable and comfortable temperature which would be suitable for garbing even in the dead of summer or winter for that matter.

DeadBishop

Quote from: Alphonse on July 01, 2008, 12:18:05 PM

But the place is huge. The Tunnels are wide enough that two semi sized trucks could pass and the roof is a good 20-30 ft high.There is one main tunnel with very large galleries off to the sides the tunnel ends in a large room with an opening that leads to the surface which also works to allow for good ventilation.

Now that is exactly the right kind of cavern for a "dwarven keep".   ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

VIII

Cumberland Caverns in Tennessee has a "Hall of the Mountain King" in it.  We camped there several times as Scouts.  There were several large caverns, big enough to hold a Festival.

Most of the place was "look, but don't touch" so a mine would be better.

Can you imagine the resounding echo of bagpipes underground?!?

I would go!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Gimli

It's about time you men see our wisdom! Now that you get it let me know when you start this is a job I can get behind!
Now you can't really blame that on me.

Alphonse

It is more an ideal then an actuality but if it ever were to happen and I had any say in it, you would hold a place of honor as one of the Kings.I have been to a good half dozen faires and haven't ever seen anyone approach the quality of portraying a dwarf as you do.

Tremayne and I have been to the cave that you mentioned VIII, it is the only cave that I have been in that had a chandelier. The idea of bagpiping in a cave and it's acoustics is definitely the sort of thing that I would love to one day hear  ;D

LadyMorna

Being a fan of Tolkein, I could go for an underground fantasy faire!  The 60 degree temperatures especially appeal to me.  Though I'm more a Hobbit at heart, I'd like to visit a dwarf realm sometime.

Lady Morna
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Tremayne

Alas, the potential of the mine may never be realized. I seriously doubt it's part of the property for sale--not to mention we have yet to win the lottery.  :-\

We visited Catherdral Caverns State Park Sunday, which is a 15-20 minute drive from the mine. It's another extremely spacious underground space with an impressive room of stalactites/mites/columns. The perfect secondary attraction to the dwarf hall (or vice versa).

Anyone ever hear of a harmonic convergence working? We need to set a time for everyone interested to simultaneously think this thing into purchasability and financial viability  :D  --Or anyone know any rich venture capitalist dwarves?

Alphonse

I am unsure but it is looking like it maybe TVA land.Convincing the government to allow it to be leased for a faire is likely an impossibility but we will keeping following the trail where ever it leads and not give up on the idea until we know it is doable or not.

While it is common knowledge that wizards do on occasion take certain liberties with their perception of events, generally for dramtic licence, it would be considered bad form to exaggerate something like the dimensions of a mine or cave.Especially when hoping to lure fellow adventures down into to the depths of the earth. ;D

Alphonse

Well, we have figured out that the T.V.A. does in fact own the land and are not against the idea of permitting someone to use the land.The problem lies in explaining to them what a fantasy faire is and what would be needed to conduct one there.What's more a private company owns the land adjacent to the site and wants 500,000$ for 13 acres which one might use as a parking area.That land is not worth it, I doubt it's value to be much more the 10,000$ an acre. Still there are options, it might be possible to lease the land from both parties involved.The next step is to write up a plan for this whole crazy scheme and submit it to the T.V.A. and see what they think of it.

This reminds me of a quote from the movie Animal House, "the situation requires a desperate and truly futile gesture... and we are just the kind of guys to do it!"  ;D

CatAshtrophy

Good luck coming up with your plan and presenting it. I hope things work out because this is such a cool idea.