News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Michigan Mayhem

Started by max and kate, July 01, 2008, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katie Bookwench

Now, if you decide to go AFTER the run is over, about Mid October, it's a little different.

Not quite as sad and unkempt as it looks in summer, it looks just a bit 'lived in' like during the run. Weeds and brush don't have a chance to regrow with all those footfalls around the shire.

It is so very quiet and peacefull. Most of the signs and such are still up, and many shop owners haven't yet gotten around to 'winterproofing' their buildings. It seems like some of the magic is still around, dissappearing slowly into the mists until next August.

Those are pictures worth sharing.

Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

maelstrom0370

Are the faire grounds open in the off season? I've always wanted to go out there and see what it was like.

Margaret

I don't believe so.  It's the property of Mid Michigan, so I think it's considered private property.

There's alot of stuff out there for the gates to be left open.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Ladyfair

It is the property of Mid America shows......

Right now the clover has taken over the grounds due to the heavy rains .... it is just beautiful walking around in ankle deep clover... the flowers left behind are in full bloom like the clover.... all thanks to the rain that Mother Nature has provided.
I felt like I was in the movie Sound of Music.....
Lady Penny Clan Sutcliff - MI Chieftess
2013 Penny family Gathering Sept 7-8
Ren Vet
IWG Wench #3523

nliedel

It's not open off season. Vandals do get in and should be putn in the stocks for the summer and tossed rotten eggs at. It's not terrible this year, but any damage is sad.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: nliedel on July 04, 2008, 05:21:23 AM
It's not open off season. Vandals do get in and should be putn in the stocks for the summer and tossed rotten eggs at. It's not terrible this year, but any damage is sad.

A lot of the vandals come in from the nearby trailer park across the swamp. Kids with nothing better to do, mostly.

But yes, they should be put into stocks.

And Mags is correct, the site is private property when the faire is not running, though access may be granted to those who have legitimate business there, like shopkeepers and grounds crew, or production staff/employees.

I think there's a post-season cut off, and then the site is completly closed and locked up for the winter, not to open until the following summer. I'm not sure when that is, but again, it's private property, so it doesn't really matter to most people, as they aren't allowed to come in unless it's performance day.

I think it's better that way-- Hollygrove should be left to the imagination.

Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

nliedel

What sucks is I live in a "manufactured home community" (read trailer park) and I get so mad at people who psuh the sterotype. If my kids did that, they'd not be able to walk for a week adn be turned over to the authorities. I'm a nice mom, but I'm not so lenient I'd let them do mean things to others.

Lord Virgil

I think if they got caught, a perfect punishment for the police to inflict would be to put them in stocks or the jail at the grounds for a whole weekend of faire.  That way, all of us patrons could give them a piece of our minds.  We could boo, scowl, threaten to run them through, etc...  It would be fun for us patrons and a good lesson for the destructive little imps.  It may also make them realize the passion we have for Hollygrove, and teach them a lesson they wouldn't learn in real jail.
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

max and kate

Quote from: Lord Virgil on July 12, 2008, 10:09:20 AM
I think if they got caught, a perfect punishment for the police to inflict would be to put them in stocks or the jail at the grounds for a whole weekend of faire.  That way, all of us patrons could give them a piece of our minds.  We could boo, scowl, threaten to run them through, etc...  It would be fun for us patrons and a good lesson for the destructive little imps.  It may also make them realize the passion we have for Hollygrove, and teach them a lesson they wouldn't learn in real jail.
Better yet just turn them over to Mother Superior and let her have her way. ;D
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

nliedel

Mother Superior was in rare form today. She's just a doll.

AnyuBoo

Quote from: max and kate on July 12, 2008, 02:27:09 PM

Now that's a wonderful idea!  ;D
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Lord Virgil

Quote from: max and kate on July 12, 2008, 02:27:09 PM

Why not just have them drawn and quartered, they might be better off,  :)
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

Margaret

If actually caught - the vandals should be turned over to the police.  Yeah, it would be fun to turn them over to Angie but I doubt they would view it as a punishment.

Now, a night in a cell with their new best friend, The Crusher.  THAT would be a punishment.  ~evil laugh~
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

nliedel

Drawn and quartered would not be nearly as interesting as Mother Superior humiliating them and forcing them to clean the grounds with a toothbrush, for all to see. Maybe begging forgivness of all the patrons? They're probably kids and it should be most memorable for them.

AnyuBoo

nliedel, you have some really nifty ideas there.   :D 
And speaking of toothbrushes and cleaning, I'm off to be "Big Bad Mom" and make the kids clean their rooms.   :P
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!