News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2 part eyelets/grommets

Started by Auryn, January 24, 2013, 02:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

so my favorite 2 part eyelets (technically grommets) are on big sale at Joanns.
Where do you guys normally get yours??
From the current sale pricing I can get 1600 pairs for $100.

Ive bought from some of the popular online sellers, and either the shanks aren't long enough or the lips are too wide requiring more space than I like.

So I guess I am looking for validation or a point in a better direction :)
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

mollymishap

I really like the ones from Tandy Leather.  I just used up almost all of my stash I bought more than 10 years ago, so I have no idea the current price for those, but I can tell you that they're NICE: because they're made from brass & fairly malleable, the shank tends to roll down instead of spread/flare out so you don't get any rough bits that can catch on the fabric or scratch your skin.  I use the larger size hole (don't remember the size, maybe 01?)...hmm...maybe I should go check out their website & see what they have...

brb

OK, so their prices seem to run around 30 bucks for 100 sets, so more pricey than your JoAnn's ones.  I can't comment on the quality comparison, not knowing what brand you had a mind to buy, but I can say that the Tandy ones ROCK!

HTH & good luck!

gem

I've never had issues with the JoAnn's ones, but my *favorites* are the heavy-duty tarp grommets I get at Ace Hardware. I couldn't tell you the price, though!  :-\

Last fall I couldn't find all the parts to do the tarp grommets for my FIL's new doublet, but I had plenty of the JA ones on hand; they worked just fine--particularly for men's garb that's not under a lot of stress.

LadyFae

I always get mine at Joann's, too but I keep getting packs that have odd amounts of long sides or short sides.  THEN I think that I have enough for a project and end up not!  GRRR!  So frustrating!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Auryn

Thanks for the suggestions
my main problem with regular grommets is the color, there is something within me that will not let me put gold or silver looking grommets on a dark leather piece, I just can't do it.
gem how do you handle the color difference when you do a dark project??

These are the ones I buy (in black) and I have never had a problem with them breaking, coming loose or not putting up with stress (even on my heavy duty leather steampunk corset)
are these the ones you use stonebiscuit??

molly, the problem I have heard about the tandy ones is that apparently the quality has changed a lot in the last 10 years- thats what I have been told, I don't know from personal experience. I use their rivets and they are usually ok - I have about a 10% failure rate but its usually do to user installation error.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

stonebiscuit

Those may be the ones--TBH I threw the packaging away a long time ago in some sort of weird attempt to get organized. :D