News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ugh. Creative fatigue--need instant gratification!

Started by gem, January 23, 2013, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I have been in the middle of a long haul of writing/revising and needlework design, and I am worn out. I seriously need a quick fix project that I can just dive right in and make, without a lot of planning or fussy fitting. Alas, not one of the items on my WIP list qualifies! (I have everything to make Milord's new shirt--but there is Serious Fitting involved in sewing for him.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of a black Tudor overpartlet for my rain garb, but that's not very exciting.  I'd love to throw together another corded dress, but I think that's more work than I had in mind. I could always make some throw pillows, I suppose--but, really, I don't know what I'd *do* with them!

So--dangle those carrots, gentles! (And let's remember that I'm the seamstress who can turn a simple chemise into an epic, two-month labor of love. LOL)

Gramercy!!

isabelladangelo

You need a new purse/bag to carry your "magic mirror" (cell phone), keys, money, carte de credit, handkerchief, and beeswax (lip balm) in.  I'm thinking one of those circular ones with all the pockets inside.  And tassels.  You need tassels. 

NicoleBridget

How about a lovely heirloom-quality handkerchief?  With some nice lace trim, maybe even some embroidered initials on it or other design?  If such a fine (delicate) accessory doesn't fit with your character you could make one for a friend or to present to the ruling monarch at your festival.

Wickedvox

It's not period, but I got Amy Butler's book "Stitches" from the library and have been making little coin bags and stuff bags. BAGS! i love bags. Also I designed my own wallet pattern, tablet sleeve (for Michael, in Star Wars fabric) and a matching bed buddy. I based the designs on One Yard Wonder's patterns--they were stupid so I altered them lol. It's all squares and rectangles. Just make something up lol!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

mollymishap

A pair of drawers:

http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extdraw1.htm

You can go "period" and make them out of linen & embroider them at your leisure or you could go with some goofy fabric that appeals to your funny bone & call it an inside joke.

Butch

Love all the ideas!  A lacy edged handkerchief would be neat!  Small bags are quick and easy.  Have you considered a pin cushion?  Depending on your use of different fabrics, you could make it look like any kind of animal, fruit, or vegetable.

Good luck!  Get over your slump!  I'm making Michael's pirate garb right now.  Just got his waistcoat done (very beautiful!).  Next I will make his greatcoat.  His drop-fly breeches and frilly shirt after that.  Fun!

Dinobabe

What about a quilted table runner out of your pretty scraps?  I make mine double sided for a different look.  You can use the quilt as you go method and it's stupid fast!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

LadyStitch

A while back I got my hands on these really easy christmas ornamant cross stiches at the dollar store. They were 2 bucks each and I can stitch one of those up in a couple hours.  When I need a brain break to do those.  I can start and finish them quickly and not end up with a UFO hanging around for years.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

LadyFae

I have a couple of knitting looms and have been knitting hats and scarves lately.  I may even start on a blanket soon! 
I need to do SOMETHING!  I started a kirtle project but ran out of grommets (I am SO sick of not getting the same amount of fronts and backs in the package!)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rowan MacD

Purses, sweet bags and sewing needle books are good 1 day or a couple hour projects.  Heck, a set of shoulder rolls are about 2 hours.

I am sooo going to make me a Kindle cover.....
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dinobabe

I forgot about knitting!  I have the knifty knitter set and it's great for fast mindless projects.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Adriana Rose

I make scrap monsters. Raid the scrap bin get the biggest peices that sorta match up sew them togeather and make silly faces on them.

Or make something for your family kiddos, blankets, stuffies what have you. Keep it simple though! Just easy peasy and fun to make and quick.

I have 2 queen sized comforters that one of my dogs thought was the best chew toy ever and she ate GIANT holes in both of them. So im using my scraps to make them into new blankets, its a mental break from the long haul projects and flowers for me.

gem

Thanks, everyone!!

Oddly enough, that partlet is sounding more and more appealing. Especially after I looked at this;D I have plenty of embroidered fabric lying around in my stash to use for lining (I am smart enough NOT to involve myself in another blackwork project! I'm still working on the one I started in 2011.).

I'm also thinking a gauzy Italian partlet, from some really gorgeous sheer fabric, could be really fun.

I've been thinking of making a pocket with the leftover linen damask from my pink (avatar) corset, and I suppose I have that corded corset I could finish up. All it needs is half the eyelets and the binding. It doesn't fit at the moment, but that's not *its* fault.

But then, my BEST idea is making a colored apron for my Italian working class ensemble! We talked about this last year when Isabella posted hers. I've got some ginger and vineyard green linen in my stash--either of which would be pretty. Add a few bands of machine deco stitching (maybe break out my wing needle?!), and it could turn into just the treat.

Is anyone interested in turning this into an ongoing Instant Gratification/quick projects thread? We could keep the ideas coming and share pictures!

LadyStitch

My instant gratification thing last fall was doing a satin and a cotton partlet.  I wore it because I nearly froze my chest off at sherwood last year.  When it was cool at TRF this allowed me to cover the girls, and stay a little warmer but look nice.  Funny enough I got alot more comments about my garb being 'sexier' because I gave a hint of cleavage instead of the girls on display. All I know is I banged it out in an evening and it worked great.  I'm thinking of making more for me and the girls in the clan.  Worse case I have a few on hand for surprise weather changes.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.