News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Brush with Greatness... aka Celebrities at faire

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, July 01, 2008, 03:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

We haven't met any celebrities at any faire we've gone to, but we own a restaurant, where my husband is the chef.  At the end of the evening, he takes a walk around the dining room and chats with the diners that are there.  We have a lot of customers from the Chicago area, being in NW Illinois about 3 hours from Chicago, where the people come to spend the weekend.

Several times over the years at Bristol, strangers would come up to Steve and say to him, "Don't you own a restaurant in Galena?  We ate there --insert month and year --." 

This even happened to us while visiting the Brookfield Zoo once and also on a trip to Florida.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady_Glorianna

Not a celebrity bu a reality TV player. A few years ago at Sterling, we saw Gunther ther guy who competed as one of the Gilligans on TBS reality series the Real Gilligans' Isle.

Now that I think about it. Since Dinner Impossible filmed at MDRF and as cast I was involved, I met the now infamous Chef Robert Irvine.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Scarlett

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on July 02, 2008, 08:21:08 AM
LOL...

I think you mean Carlos Mencia, Mind of Mencia

Whoops!  I got the name wrong.  Thanks!  Fixed it.
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Noble Dreg

Don't know if it quite counts but Sen Norm Colman was on our flight to Denver when we visited CoRF.  Intoduced him to the bnoy, seemed pleasant enough.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Marietta Graziella

Come to think of it... at MNRF we brush with greatness almost every festival weekend.  Her name?   

Me the Great!

;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

SirBlackFox

MDRF usta' have a Shakespeare weekend and Senator Fred Grandy ("Gopher" from Love Boat) would do readings.  Also at MDRF, a young Chelsea Clinton visited about one a year (with a full SS team).   Being so close to D.C. brings out the govt. peeps
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

RumbaRue

I remember when the original Renaissance Faire was still in Agoura (north of Los Angeles), lots of stars came out. I saw Patrick Swayze, John Davidson (btw-I actually have a picture of him in a monk's robe....he use to promote/sell the wooden Castle game there), and people I can't remember their names. Once up there the rumor flew around that Michael Jackson was there dressed as a clown...ya right...I don't think so.....
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: RumbaRue on July 06, 2008, 12:16:22 PM
I remember when the original Renaissance Faire was still in Agoura (north of Los Angeles), lots of stars came out. I saw Patrick Swayze, John Davidson (btw-I actually have a picture of him in a monk's robe....he use to promote/sell the wooden Castle game there), and people I can't remember their names. Once up there the rumor flew around that Michael Jackson was there dressed as a clown...ya right...I don't think so.....

He need no dress lik eone, he already is one...

Sorry my bad.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Valiss

Quote from: Lady_Glorianna on July 03, 2008, 07:54:48 PM
Now that I think about it. Since Dinner Impossible filmed at MDRF and as cast I was involved, I met the now infamous Chef Robert Irvine.

Oh that's cool, I watch that show sometimes.  I haven't seen the ren faire episode, though I did see one recently where he cooked at a Cival War reenactment. 

Why is Chef Robert Irvine "infamous"?

Just Randall

Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Botch

in 2004 I was in the former Blue Planet at the time still owned by Lost Island at TRF.  It was a shop managed by Mike (I think that was his name, it's been a while) but some time during one of the faire days, a tall black man came in with an enterage of about 6 to 8 people.  He shopped around a bit and really liked the stuff in the shop.

Mike asked one of the people, "who is that guy?  is he famous or something?"  "He was the tall black pirate near the beginning of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl."

Though I didn't recognize him as such, it was kind of funny that his co-horts followed him pretty much everywhere he went.  When he left, so did his buds. 

Oh, and Rudy T from the Houston Rockets was there too... but that was further back than that.  He had a big enterage too.  ...1997ish?

Lady Missy

WWE wrestler Al Snow came to Ky Highland Ren Faire last year with a couple busty blondes...Imagine that :)

Valiss

Quote from: captfletcher on July 07, 2008, 04:02:38 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/taste/stories/DN-nf_tvchef_0221liv.State.Edition1.1026008.html

This pretty much sums it up.

That's too bad because he seems like a nice fellow on his show. 

Anyway, I don't think I've seen anyone famous so far at our faires.  I'm not sure I'd recognize anyone anyway, espcially if they were in costume.

Just Randall

Hey Botch, are you sure it wasn't former Houston Rocket all-star Robert Reid? He comes every year, at least two weekends.
Really nice guy, by the way.
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

maelstrom0370

Last season, I got stuck in 'Ren Jail' with Elvis.  Annoying sot, actually.  He refused to play along unless he was allowed to do his own Ren-themed version of Jailhouse Rock, thus forcing the rest of us to wait an extra hour or so while he thought it up.
On a different note, Bronson Pinchot was up here on the island last season filming a movie.  So, yea...I guess I got THAT goin' for me!  ;D  Although I did manage to catch him off gaurd when the first thing out of my mouth was "Hey! Weren't you Elliot in True Romance?"  Guess he's more used to 'Balki'