News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Fresh Start

Started by raevyncait, January 28, 2013, 03:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Yes, a good job is worth a long commute. Huzzah!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Bob of the Lake

Wonderful news! And as DonaCatalina says, a good job is worth the commute. You'll get used to it in no time!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

raevyncait

Today I had lunch at the same restaurant where we met yesterday for the interview. The manager on duty came and told me that he had talked with the interviewer in the restroom yesterday and the interviewer said he was VERY VERY pleased with how the interview had gone. That made me so very happy.

And almost made me forget the drama of the crazy lady holding my TXDL hostage (I had it mailed there when I changed my address a few weeks ago thinking that it would get to me faster, and in all honesty, ALL of the people in the office get stuff delivered there regularly), OPENING IT, and calling the sheriff and DPS to try and get fraud charges filed against me for using that as a mailing address (the address on my DL is my HOME address).  She was told that since she was able to give them all of the information on the DL, including the audit number which changes every time that they reissue it, she had CLEARLY committed a FEDERAL felony by opening MY mail, and that if she REALLY wanted to pursue fraud charges, she might want to reconsider since I am perfectly entitled to file charges against her.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Meagan

It is good to things are looking up for you. Best of luck!

DonaCatalina

Sheesh...that lady is nuts.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

raevyncait

Yes DC, she IS nuts. I feel very sorry for the new receptionist. While I was sitting there waiting for crazy to get off the phone with the sheriff, she asked me how long I'd worked there (2.5 yrs) and if I'd liked it.  I took the 5th, and then said "Owner and Owner2 were very good to me." and left it at that. I'm so very happy to not have to deal with her anymore!

And the upside is that today is the follow up from Thursday's interview! I would so dearly LOVE to be able to start something new after only a week off!
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

raevyncait

Today's lunch meeting went swimmingly! I'd previously met with the VP, and today I met the Construction Manager and the Financial Officer.  The VP took the FO and me to lunch at La Cima, and we had some good conversation both about the position and plans of the company, and general chitchat, who likes what team, etc. 
At one point, we were looking at a drawing of the site, which shows the primary building, and several additional buildings.  We were discussing the various phases of what must happen in order for the primary building, and the VP said: "this is a 7-8 month building, so we shouldn't have a problem meeting the opening date at the beginning of October".  My response (which was very much an automatic/reflex) was "provided that we don't have an excessively wet spring."  He was very impressed and commented to the FO "spoken like a construction person".

A few minutes later we were talking about the roads and he said something about the permanent roads, and stated that they're planning to put in a construction road that will be well away from the permanent ones, I responded with "You really don't want to finish the permanent roads before the major part of the building is done, because you run the risk of the heavy equipment tearing up the roads and then having to go over budget repairing brand new roads."  He sat back in his chair, looked at the FO and said "she makes a valid point, she knows what she's talking about, I like that!"

He's told me to expect to hear from him within a week with a formal, written offer.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

GryffinSong

Totally awesome!!! Congratulations!!!
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Bob of the Lake

I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Serenity

DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

LadyStitch

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Mairte

raevyncait

So the Fresh Start about which I started this thread ended up not panning out, and I've been actively searching for work for the past 4 1/2 months. As it turned out, due to a few things that happened within our household, it's actually been beneficial for me to be home more, and collecting the unemployment that the crazy lady put in writing that she would not contest. It HAS, however, become entirely too much stress to be at home right now, and I'm so very grateful that my search finally came to an end, effective TODAY! 

This morning I started an Administrative Assistant position in a different industry, although not totally unrelated to construction. This has been in process for about 3 weeks now, after an hour's work filling out an online application, 2 drives (just under an hour) for interviews, another for the drug testing, and a lot of back and forth phone calls. 

The crazy place provided me with a company paid life insurance policy (although I was never given the paperwork to name my own beneficiary, so I'm guessing they got the $ if I died), medical insurance that excluded things like maternity (not something I need anyway) and had a $1500/yr deductible and something like a $million lifetime maximum benefit, and crummy dental that paid about 50% of restorative, for approximately 10% of my salary/weekly. 

I now have a nice PPO Medical plan (with no exclusions), $1000 deductible, $2million ANNUAL maximum benefit; Dental that covers 100% preventative, 80% restorative; Vision, Long Term Disability; Short Term Disability; Company paid Life insurance; Supplemental Life Insurance; Cancer Insurance; and a Health Flex Spending account, ALL for 40% LESS than I paid at the Crazy place for so little. We also have a 401K which is matched 50% up to 6% of my salary; Profit Sharing; Credit Union; and 2 weeks of vacation/year (which, by the way, the first 2 weeks are available on your first anniversary date (7/15/14, for me), but after that, they are awarded on January 1st, and CANNOT be carried over, so between 7/15/14 & 12/31/14, I MUST take 2 weeks worth of vacation days. DARN ;)

It is refreshing to work for a company that actually provides the legal breaks (15 minutes twice a day, plus a minimum of 30 minutes for lunch), and pays OT for any time worked over 8 hours a day.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist