News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Time/Directions Help, Please

Started by anne of oaktower, July 03, 2008, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anne of oaktower

Well, looks like I might actually be able to pull off a visit on Saturday....probably with teenagers in tow, but, oh well, it will have to do for now.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can offer a little clarification regarding travel time and directions.  The map on the website is good, but just want to make sure I don't lose a single minute due to a left instead of a right, or some such thing. 

I'm planning on taking I-80 West to I-79, up to Rt. 6.  I know that it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get from home to I-79.  Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes from that point - where 79 and 80 meet - to Rt. 6 and/or all the way to the faire?

I'm really good with navigational skills but also like to know a few landmarks whenever possible.  Are there any specific landmarks to look for along the way?  Any road construction or detours I should know about?

Any help that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

See ya soon!
A/O
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

BeerBlessings

Whoa! Hold up a bit!!!

There are two changes to your route you should consider making..

First, for *ANYONE* coming in through Meadville.. Taking Route 6 from Meadville all the way to Rt 534 takes you *around* Pymatuning Lake at the OH/PA border. I've made this mistake before, as it adds at least 10-15 minutes to your drive. You can drive right over the lake for a shortcut.

In Conneaut Lake, a little bit west of Meadville, Rt 322 splits off to your left. This is your signal to keep an eye out! Do not turn here!.. Shortly after this, turn left onto PA Rt 285. Stay on Rt 285 all the way to Pymatuning Lake, and go across. This changes to OH Rt 85 at the border, on the lake! It's funny to see a "Welcome to Ohio" sign over water that's *not* the Ohio River.

Take OH 85 to Andover circle, and continue on Rt 6 West. (Rt 6 comes in from the north into this circle.) Continue on Rt 6 until Hartsgrove circle, pass the BP, and turn right onto 534 North.

But, if I were you, I'd cut out I-79 entirely. Especially if you don't mind highway driving, and want a faster drive..

You're coming I-80 west from PA. (45-60 minutes from I-79.. Near DuBois methinks). Continue on I-80 past I-79. It's about twenty miles to the OH border past I-79.

Maybe 10-12 miles into Ohio, take the exit for OH Rt 11 North. (Exit 228B, towards Ashtabula / Warren.. 32 miles from I-79)

Take the US Rt 6 exit, (roughly 30 miles on Rt 11) and turn left off the off ramp to take OH 6 West. It'll be about fifteen minutes to Hartsgrove Circle. Pass the BP, and turn right onto 534 North.

Go north about 4 miles, and watch for OH 166. This is your signal for keeping an eye out for Faire. GLMF will be on your left, I want to think about a half mile past 166. Don't drive fast here, as the sign sneaks up on you, and I've *barely* caught myself a few times.. Oh wait, it's Faire. They normally have a cop car opposite, with lights flashing, so you can look for that too!

It's about an hour from I-80/I-79 interchange to Rt 6, then 15 minutes to 534. About 6 minutes to Faire entrance.

Reasons to take I-80 to OH 11 rather than I-79.
1) Ohio is flat. PA is hilly. Flat and straight is easier on your car, especially if you have a 4 cylinder like me. Also better on mileage, and therefore on gas.
2) Very few cops on OH-11, means you can speed a bit without much worry. Also, cop watch is easier when it's flat and straight..
3) You don't have to worry about missing the shortcut across Pymatuning Lake.
4) There's currently construction on I-79 near Meadville. I'm not sure if / how much this will slow you down.

Hope this helps!

anne of oaktower

Thanks a million, BeerBlessings!  I was sitting here studying the maps last night and was wondering if that would be a better route.  It looks like it will cut off a few miles, too.  Fewer miles means faster arrival! 

Are we there yet?

BeerBlessings

You're very welcome, Anne!

I am down in the Grove City / New Wilmington area every so often for a service organization I volunteer for, and I-80 to Rt 11 to Rt 6 is my prefered way home now. I live about 25 minutes northwest of the Faire, and go near-ish the Faire on my way.. The large amount of highway is nice, IMO. Higher speed limit, and straight = faster. Only thing better would be a diagonal!

A couple more perks about that route.. It's 2 lanes until you hit Rt 6, so you can pass someone that's going really slow. Less road rage while trying to book it to Gate is a good thing! (I know a couple people who come from the Meadville area..)

There's an exit on I-80 near the OH/PA border with a McDonald's, Burger King, Flying J, and a couple other places. I've used that many times for a driving stop for food, gas, break, etc.. There's almost nothing on Rt 11, so make sure you're not running low on your way in. (Be it gas, energy, or alertness.)

The perk of I-79 to Rt 6 is that there are more places to stop along the way. Eh, but when you're looking for a big Gate, who gives a rodent's patootie?!

See you Saturday!

anne of oaktower

Again I must say, thanks a million!  I'm not too far from Clarion, so it's just a quick hop onto I-80 and then away we go. 

Highway is indeed a good thing!  Never fails, does it....whenever you're in a hurry to get somewhere there is bound to be dozens of slowpokes on the road to slow things down. 

I'll go down tonight to fill the tank and will have plenty of snacks in the van, but it's always good to know where the restroom stops are.  I'll be sure we make that stop on 80 so as to avoid the "you should have gone before we left home" routine once we're on 11.

Looking forward to meeting you soon!
A/O

trevor ylisaari

Quote from: BeerBlessings on July 04, 2008, 07:47:14 AM
Take the US Rt 6 exit, (roughly 30 miles on Rt 11) and turn left off the off ramp to take OH 6 West. It'll be about fifteen minutes to Hartsgrove Circle. Pass the BP, and turn right onto 534 North.

Go north about 4 miles, and watch for OH 166. This is your signal for keeping an eye out for Faire. GLMF will be on your left, I want to think about a half mile past 166. Don't drive fast here, as the sign sneaks up on you, and I've *barely* caught myself a few times.. Oh wait, it's Faire. They normally have a cop car opposite, with lights flashing, so you can look for that too!

When you pass route 166 going north on 534, it is less than half a mile to the entrance.
Right after you pass 166 there is a slight rise in the road, then it goes downhill. At the bottom of that hill is the faire entrance.

Professor M

I have to agree with BB 100%.  I've tried several routes, but coming up route 11 is by far the best.  In the case of anyone coming from the Pittsburgh area, take the PA Turnpike west, which becomes the Ohio turnpike.  Exit toward Youngstown.  It's a snap to follow the signs around Youngstown to Route 11.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis