News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

FYI: Pub Sing change for this season...

Started by BeerBlessings, July 01, 2008, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Griffith

Just to throw in another opinion on something that is really of no consequence, Parting Glass IS a dirge.  The master is Tommy Makem and he does it slooooowly.

I like the band "Bridget's Cross" and have played the same stage with them several times but they (pardon the pun) crucify Parting Glass.  If they did it that way at my funeral, it would be like Finnegan's Wake all over again.  I'd be up and out of the coffin yelling at them without the benefit of "whiskey flyin' around like blazes".
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Capt. Morgan

I always liked Mingulay Boat Song or Aulde Lang Syne (Sterling Ren. Faire version)...but "Parting Glass" even tho' some view it as a "dirge" is still moving and has sentiments justified for the end of a day with friends....Whatever the song be, we shall sing it together... ;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

trevor ylisaari

Don't know if it has been mentioned.
But the cast are supposed to be part of the performance ofthe song also.

(at least last I knew)

Professor M

It is also much harder to roam the crowd and clink glasses with friends and strangers alike during Parting Glass.  But so be it.  It will be that much more meaningful when we do it in Morelandshire two months later.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

BlackKnight

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on July 03, 2008, 07:37:21 AM
Quote from: BeerBlessings on July 02, 2008, 09:01:51 PMFor some odd reason, I get the heebie-jeebies by associating Faire with a song that I want sung at my funeral.

Hey...the only difference between an Irish Wedding (or Pubsing/party) and an Irish Wake is one less drunk...so it's a celebration no matter what!  ;)

I still pity poor Avaloch...I fear they have no idea what is in store for them.... :o

I hope they have security.........to protect the regular patrons from us.  ::)

BeerBlessings

Quote from: Terry Griffith on July 03, 2008, 09:58:36 AM
Just to throw in another opinion on something that is really of no consequence, Parting Glass IS a dirge.  The master is Tommy Makem and he does it slooooowly.

I like the band "Bridget's Cross" and have played the same stage with them several times but they (pardon the pun) crucify Parting Glass.  If they did it that way at my funeral, it would be like Finnegan's Wake all over again.  I'd be up and out of the coffin yelling at them without the benefit of "whiskey flyin' around like blazes".

I meant "appropriate" as in "appropriate for an ending to a good faire day"... Nothing so slow and so dang depressing.

Oh, and Parting Glass at Faire only includes two of the three verses. Forgot to mention that part..

Professor M

I must say, the Pub Sing was a big disappointment on opening day.  The sound system at the Drift Inn couldn't handle it.  We sat near the back and couldn't hear a thing, except for the occasional drumming.  Bustahoov3 posted a video that was taken from the back of the seats, and it illustrates just that.  You can see people dancing, but other than an occasional Bump...Bump there's no music.

The cast did a great job with Parting Glass.  My preferences aside, it was a fine, touching ending to the day.

I'm sure they'll have the sound issues worked out eventually, and I look forward to going back and enjoying a hearty, and audible, pub sing.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Athena

Yeah, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully they'll get that worked out soon....
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Capt. Morgan

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Capt. Morgan

Oh...you were there...you just weren't "there" there.... ;)

Scotsman

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on July 11, 2008, 07:53:50 AM

Ohhhh! I see now .... hmmm ... did I have fun? Don't answer that!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Capt. Morgan

Sweetie...you look up the word "fun" in the Dictionary and there's a picture of you right next to it.... ;D

Morwyn

Quote from: Scotsman on July 11, 2008, 08:42:28 AM
Quote from: Capt. Morgan on July 11, 2008, 07:53:50 AM

Ohhhh! I see now .... hmmm ... did I have fun? Don't answer that!

**grins** yes, dear Scotsman...you appeared to be having lots of fun....I have a great video of you dancing with Belle!  ;D