News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

FYI: Pub Sing change for this season...

Started by BeerBlessings, July 01, 2008, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athena

HA! Evidence! I think I saw some pictures floating around somewhere as well. No escaping the truth now, dearie!  ;D
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

trevor ylisaari

Scotsman

Quote from: Morwyn on July 11, 2008, 11:42:49 AM
Quote from: Scotsman on July 11, 2008, 08:42:28 AM
Quote from: Capt. Morgan on July 11, 2008, 07:53:50 AM
Oh...you were there...you just weren't "there" there.... ;)

Ohhhh! I see now .... hmmm ... did I have fun? Don't answer that!

**grins** yes, dear Scotsman...you appeared to be having lots of fun....I have a great video of you dancing with Belle!  ;D

Errr ... did you say video ... oh man, and I know how bad I dance ... SORRY BELLE! I have a great t-shirt I just bought "SCOTCH, making white men dance since 1494" ... guilty as charged!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

You had that shirt on at dinner Friday night, rather amusing indeed.
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

DuCoeur

I barely heard the pubsing on SAT...of course I missed it opening day last year as well.

Glad I am going tomorrow to see what I missed...lol
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

trevor ylisaari

Well, they turned the volume up on pub sing, and it was much better.
People were really starting to get into it, then the rains came . . . again!

The faire got drenched yesterday for about an hour +
Started right after chess match and just poured.

Then it cleared up and wasn't bad until the middle of pubsing.

Athena

Oh yeah, we got drenched. The weather man said the storms would roll in later on in the evening. RIGHT. When I got on I271 yesterday it was clear and sunny. The road was wet, so it looks like that front went through Summit & Cuyahoga counties before reaching the faire.

Nice improvement on sound, hopefully the weather will be agreeable next week so we can enjoy pub sing.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

trevor ylisaari

Looks like I missed a nice day today.
It rained in the morning, but then cleared out and was sunny and cool the rest of the day.
At least here in Conneaut, that is how the weather was.
Still waiting on word of how the faire day was though.

Quiet One

We got there about 2pm today and by then the weather was perfect.

The parking lot was a muddy mess.  They filled the secondary lots first and when we got there we got parked real close to the gate.  The lanes had puddles and a few small lakes, but other than that it was a great day for faire.
Whisper'n M'Crack
Castleteer

DuCoeur

it was muddy, and drizzeled a bit in the morning....but was a great day overall.  Weather was perfect.  Sunny and  breezy and not to humid.

I missed pubsing...again.  because I was shopping and yes at the other pub.  Ah well someday this season...lol
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Capt. Morgan

Dude! We had our own Pub Sing...remember??

Actually...at Maryland there are 2 Pub Sings...one at the Dragon's Lair and one at the White Hart and believe me...there are more than enough patrons/playtrons to fill up both venues...the hard part is...do you listen to Pyrates Royale OR The Rogues....now that is the hard part!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Scotsman

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on July 14, 2008, 07:08:14 AM
Actually...at Maryland there are 2 Pub Sings...one at the Dragon's Lair and one at the White Hart and believe me...there are more than enough patrons/playtrons to fill up both venues...the hard part is...do you listen to Pyrates Royale OR The Rogues....now that is the hard part!

Indeed .. T'is hard to choose!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

lordwriothsley

I will agree with you all on Pyrates Royale and the Rogues being hard to choose.I am a huge fan of The Pyrates Royale and have been since day one.As a matter of fact Brad Howard one of the leaders of that group is a good friend of mine from my home at VARF.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Terry Griffith

There seem to be several ways to experience "Pub Sing".  I have seen Pub Sing at 3 different faires. Although I enjoyed all 3, I think Pittsburgh will always be my favorite.  At Great Lakes and Maryland, its a recap of all the entertainers performing on stage.  At Pittsburgh it feels more like singing around a campfire without the campfire.  It's intimate and close up.  There is no stage because the performers are right in the middle of the crowd.  There is no amplification because the music is happening right next to you.  Everyone sings along to all the songs and it feels like everyone is a part of the event instead of a stage with performers and an audience.

I just looked at several pictures on my web site from 2004.  http://www.pittsburghirish.org/griffith/photos/renfest04/index.htm
Pictures 1,2,3,5,6,7,16 & 17 are the Pub Sing back then.  Some of you may recognize many people that are no longer at the faire.  Check them out and remember the feeling of that Pub Sing compared to the others and even the Pub Sing at Pittsburgh now.  Those were the days my friends.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Capt. Morgan

Not dissing my Home Faire...but Sterling Ren. Faire had/has the ultimate Pub Sing IMHO and anyone who's ever commanded the pile of rocks with us during "Companion" knows this to be true. What I loved about Sterling is they had several "Pub Sings" throughout the day where one could actually learn the songs. The Nobles Pub Sing at noon was with the Court and all the "proper" songs of the time..."The Keeper", "Spanish Ladies" and such...then around 3 O'clock you'd stumble across the gypsies and thieves in the graveyard and learn all the bawdy songs "Maids when you're young", "Bedlam Boys", "Wild Rover", "Companion" and such...which would culminate with the final closing Pub Sing...the cast interspersed throughout the crowd as the Queen and Court would take the stage, the cast interjecting songs which might begin with Sir Walter Raleigh wanting to sing "Bonny Ship the Diamond" (reference changed to Elizabethan times) which then flows into Don Juan and Miguel introducing "Spanish Ladies" and then the Pub Sing gets totally hijacked by the rowdy faction and we rapidly slip into the foot stomping, bawdy songs until it is announced that the Pubs are about to close...smooth segue into the Queens parting speech and Auld Lang Syne...and believe me, no one did it as well as Baj! What I didn't learn from an awesome Irish singer, Dermot Sommerville...I learned at Sterling...
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.