News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camping Etiquette Questions

Started by PollyPoPo, March 05, 2013, 04:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyPoPo

In another thread someone asked about camping etiquette. 

After a quick search for the word etiquette, it appears there is a dearth of information on these forums. 

What recommendations would everyone have for newcomers?

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

mpullen

Okay, let me start this off by stating examples:

A. Do not create noise that disturbs fellow campers. We allow generators and amplified music up to midnight, and only unamplified (drums, guitars, singing, etc.) music after that. Blowing a cows horn at 4 AM may be unamplified "music", but it's not acceptable behavior. If your neighbors complain about your amplified music (before midnight), suggest you consider turning it down a notch.

B. Wandering through others camps when no one is present. It may be a short-cut, but with past thefts, security looks for folks in a camp that they don't recognize as being part of that group. That's why I try to greet folks when they first arrive and make frequent tours of the campgrounds. I'm trying to identify who is where. If someone is in their camp and you need to cut through, simply ask. They might invite you to stop by on your way back and share a brew or some stories.

C. Disorderly conduct. We know that drunken folks can get out of hand. We expect their camping companions to control the drunk's behavior. When the drunken behavior escalates to violence, security needs to be called.

D. Borrowing. You probably setup camp and suddenly realize you left your shovel or saw at home. Ask around, as your neighbors might let you borrow theirs. Be sure you make special care to return the borrowed item in the same condition you received it.

E. Trash. We provide dumpsters throughout the campgrounds. We do not have a trash pickup service, so clean up your site throughout the weekend and especially when breaking camp. Try to go beyond the immediate area of your camp.

F. Nudity. Yes, it happens, but keep it within the confines of your tent. We had a couple of streakers awhile back. They were seen by children, so the individuals are now classified as sex offenders.

G. Space. Take only enough space for your tents, community area, and vehicle parking. We have one of our big three weekends coming up (Spring Break), so I am going to try and pack folks in. Don't feel hurt if someone sets up their camp 10 feet from you. On that note, don't set up tape barriers or tiki torch walls beyond your area. When I start packing folks in and I see a camp with tiki torches 20 feet from their tents/community area, I'll ask that the torches be moved closer to the camp area.

Okay, I've started this. Folks, add your inputs.

Bonny Pearl

Getting to know your neighbors is a good start. It is always good to start the camping weekend with a friendly hello and quick 'glad to meet you' conversation.  This can have the great potential of diffusing situations that could arise when the day at faire is done and someone in a group has had a few too many and may be a bit out of sorts so to speak.

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Willworkforgems

If you bring a pet, please pick up after it. No one likes stepping in a big pile of p@@p while searching for firewood!

"Love is the solution to every problem"

Bonny Pearl

Does Sherwood allow pets in camp?  I know TRF doesn't but that tends to be ignored by a few people.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

The Rabbi

In any situation I have found two rules or concepts that work regardless. Respect and Responsability. If we show each other due respect and treat them fairly this will equal out to proper manners as it is very difficult to be rude and respectful at the same time. Be responsable for your actions I for one have on occasions made stupid mistakes but find that no matter the foul up if I take responsability for said offense it is always much easier for others to forgive or at least accept my stupidity. There is only so much room at any given camp grounds If you are packed in like sardines then make the best of it and find a new friend that might otherwise be an annoyance up youre arse.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Willworkforgems

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on March 05, 2013, 09:15:05 AM
Does Sherwood allow pets in camp?  I know TRF doesn't but that tends to be ignored by a few people.

Hi Bonny Pearl,
I have seen well behaved dogs leashed in various campsites. And now that I think about it, I never heard them bark, so I should say very well behaved! As far as I Know the only dogs allowed in the faire are service dogs and Karma, who performs.

Bonny Pearl

The dogs I have seen at TRF camp are well behaved as well.  That is most likely why I never hear of complaints.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

PollyPoPo

Can we have a gibbet for those horn blowers?  Please, Mike.  Please, please, pleeeeezze?

Oh, well, adding to the list:

1.   Entering other people's campsites uninvited is considered to be just plain rude by many people and a direct threat by others.  They may not "own" the ground under their tents or campers, but those tents are bedrooms and kitchens; the fire pit is a gathering spot, i.e. their living room.  (This seemed to be the most common complaint listed in the various hits of a Google search.)  If people invite you in, great; if not, let them be.

2.   If you do ask to cut through, please do not be offended if they say no.  They may just be unfriendly, not up to company, or maybe they have a reason, such as children being present, old people in the campsite, etc.  Some groups are adult-only, 21 and up, and do not want your children in their midst.  Maybe the last person who cut through did a little "shopping" as they passed.  Some people call it stealing.

3.   If you do have children or animals, they are your responsibility.  Patron campgrounds are not as homogenous as worker campgrounds where kids can run around and everybody supposedly looks out for them.  Some campsites are family-friendly; a lot are adults-only and do not welcome children.  Just because Sherwood is family-friendly and faire themed does not mean there are no predators there. 

4.   Stick to the main roads (basically the rock ones with one-way signs) going to and from faire, port-a-potties etc.  It is the best way to get around and not get lost or accidently walk into somebody's camp from the backside.  Plus if you pass out, you are more likely to be found.  (And, yes, it does happen, even at Sherwood.)

5.   Try to hold down screaming obscenities as you leave faire at closing cannon.  Would you want the "I Love You, You Love Me" Barney song at 6 in the morning as an early riser walks the road?  If you're angry with your boyfriend/girlfriend, not everybody should have to listen to your drunken tirade.

6.   Most people do not seem to mind the happy drunks, or the quiet ones.  It is the loud, obnoxious, or threatening drunks that people are wary of.  If your friends are trying to guide you back to camp, don't fight them.  They are probably trying to keep you from picking a fight and ending up in police custody. 

7.   Keep in mind that there are lots of cell phones with recorders now.  Videos of people screaming f/u, drooling, and face planting on the road will sooner or later end up on-line.  The days of "what happens at faire stays at faire" are over, folks.

Okay, somebody else's turn.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Bonny Pearl

True Polly.  It is also about enforcement of the rulse too though.  TRF has been plagued with bigger issues than Fido these last few years.  I'm sure it will come up at some point.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

BryanPopp

The funny thing is that TRF has the Dog sitting serves on site during faire hours.
So bring the dogs for the day, but then take them home when the cannon sounds.

Willworkforgems

Correct PollyPoPo! Sadly I had forgotten PolkaDot and Blockhead! My memory has been affected by all the port/mead!  ;)

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: BryanPopp on March 05, 2013, 12:21:33 PM
The funny thing is that TRF has the Dog sitting serves on site during faire hours.
So bring the dogs for the day, but then take them home when the cannon sounds.

They didn't have that last season did they?  I don't recall seeing it.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

RowenD

Quote from: PollyPoPo on March 05, 2013, 10:37:33 AM
Keep in mind that there are lots of cell phones with recorders now.  Videos of people screaming f/u, drooling, and face planting on the road will sooner or later end up on-line.  The days of "what happens at faire stays at faire" are over, folks.
Amen.    This cannot be said enough! 
  I remember the dust up a few years back when certain ladies found themselves featured on an adult site, due to their choice of extremely low decolletages.  Most of the photos (from cameras) were candid, and some of the subjects were obviously drunk.   While most of the women could care less,  there were a few who were embarrassed by the exposure (pun intended)and even experienced repercussions in the mundane world.  :-[
  Once it's out there on the net- it never goes away.   If you wouldn't want your mom to see it, don't do it, because it is just about impossible to to prevent the phone voyeurs from preserving the moment for posterity and posting it on YouTube.

mpullen

Shall we get back on the topic of this thread?