News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Making a cod piece, need a good pattern!

Started by Oswyn Fenecote, March 07, 2013, 12:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oswyn Fenecote

I have an Elizabethan court ensemble, need a really great codpiece. I have one i made, (the base is a sport cup, covered and beaded) but I want more of a standout, "pillowy" one? i have an idea, but if anyone has insight, it's be greatly appreciated!
Oswyn Fenecote

mollymishap

There are codpiece patterns in one of the Janet Arnold books...which # is it?  The Elizabethan one--at any rate.  If you don't have a pal who owns a copy, maybe you can get one on interlibrary loan.  She has a few great patterns in that book.

Wickedvox

This is the one I believe Molly is talking about. Also the Tudor Tailor has a codpiece pattern. I know this because I just bought a copy, squeeeee!

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Fashion-Construction-Accessories-1540-1660/dp/0896762629/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1E5SC5CAYHJ6B&coliid=I1616BGWPEC024
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

mollymishap

Gauwyn of Bracknell

to an existing pair of trunks, how are these then attached?  Mine actually have a button fly.  (I am not a sewer - that is 'so-er' not 'sue-er')
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

mollymishap

OK, I looked it up.  This is the book I was talking about.  I don't know if the one WickedVox posted has the patterns in it, I don't recall seeing them in that volume but I know the Elizabethan one does.  http://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Fashion-Construction-Clothes-C-1560-1620/dp/0896760839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362794803&sr=1-1&keywords=patterns+of+fashion

Gauwyn: I've seen men wearing detachable codpieces (think thong) but really, they should be attached at the center crotch seam or thereabouts and then finished off with points (ribbon tie) or buttons at the top two highermost triangle ends.

DonaCatalina

I use picot ribbon and tie them on. 3 sets on the codpiece and 3 added to the slops.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Orphena

I made a codpiece for m'lord out of Margo Anderson's pattern. He hasn't quite dared to wear it yet. It is detachable - I put hooks and eyes on it.  The eyes are on the pants themselves, and I covered them with thread so that they were not easily visible.  I believe there are 3 attachment points - as the pattern produces a bit more of a rounded triangular shape.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Oswyn Fenecote

Thanks for the ideas and patterns! I'll check out those books.. the kind i was wanting was actually a bit more phallic looking IMO- not really, but as opposed to the rounded, sloped down top/front, i was looking for the turned up version... almost like a harp, in that it starts to slope down, then curves back up?? ive seen it in armour more than costume, and it seems to be a bit later period. (tho i could be wrong about that)
Oswyn Fenecote

mollymishap

Oswyn Fenecote

Hmmm- that is exactly what i was imagining... in practice however, it seems even MORE phallic- I had a few problems with people when I wore the regular codpiece, I fear if i wore one like that I may be lynched!

I am going to use the pattern you posted Dona- thats a bit more family friendly?

I was shocked by the amount of negativity towards the cod piece. several parents made a big fuss, even tried to shame me for wearing it, saying it wasn't appropriate. But, I am a noble. and I will wear my effing codpiece. :) haha
Oswyn Fenecote

Rowan MacD

At KCRF in 2007, the Vulgarian Count wore one that was in the shape of a very large, red, curved velvet horn with a golden bell on the end of it, and had a squeaker inside.    He also sported a pair of huge red and purple pumpkin pants that he stuffed completely  full until they were approximately the size of those big exercise balls.
   If I can find the pic I will post it for you.   I'll bet he got some parental grief too, but it was obvious this was part of his persona.

May have been 2006...not sure.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

mollymishap

Oswyn, are you a cast member or a playtron?  If you're cast, ask the Costume Director.  If you're a playtron wear what you will unless it's in the Faire's rules that you can't. 

Either way, just be prepared with a gentle-yet-firm-in-character way of educating the folks that give you grief that they are in fact the ones improperly attired for not showing their masculinity or fashion sense (or whatever) adequately.  Give them a lesson in fashion history kindly and humorously and point to the ladies in heaving cleavage all around you and ask what the difference is.

I, personally think that unless your behaviour is crude and offensive you should be OK, especially with the tastefulness of the garb you posted pictures of.

HTH & Good Luck!

P.S.  You might make two versions of the codpiece: the really phallic one that goes best with the style and a more subdued one so that you can wear what you feel is most appropriate, but don't stifle your creative expression.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Oswyn Fenecote on March 15, 2013, 08:04:59 AM
Hmmm- that is exactly what i was imagining... in practice however, it seems even MORE phallic- I had a few problems with people when I wore the regular codpiece, I fear if i wore one like that I may be lynched!

I am going to use the pattern you posted Dona- thats a bit more family friendly?

I was shocked by the amount of negativity towards the cod piece. several parents made a big fuss, even tried to shame me for wearing it, saying it wasn't appropriate. But, I am a noble. and I will wear my effing codpiece. :) haha
His Lordship gets very few comments about his cod pieces, even the one covered in pearls.
But I have seen the turned up style once. I do believe that it is later period and only seen on armor. But I don't see any reason you shouldn't wear what you wish as long as it doesn't look like something out of an x-rated show.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess