News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need Sheild Advice

Started by Lady Ellie, July 02, 2008, 09:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ellie

Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with a shield.

Situation:

16 gauge steel cut out for shield. All residues have been removed.
2 coats of primer have been applied.
2 coats of beautiful hunter green paint applied.
Let dry for 24 hours.
Center taped off to form 2 inch border.
Gold paint applied and immediately starts to crack.

Hence help needed...

These are to be the shields for our wedding and my future half is very disappointed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1stmatematt

Google "one shot". That is the pait we used in the past.

Did you sand the primer?
1stMateMatt AKA Matt Stagmer
Co-Owner of Baltimore Knife and Sword
Assistant Editor of Pirates Magazine

Angus

Did you use paint designed for use on metal?
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Morgan Dreadlocke

Was the gold paint lacquer based? Ye can apply other types 'o paint over lacquer but not lacquer over others.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Chris B

Another issue could be heat perhaps?  Did you have the metal outside under the sun even for a few minutes before it was painted?  I had a similiar problem with a brass Greek helm.  As soon as the metal got even slightly hot the paint started to peal from the metal.  I tried it again under cooler conditions and it stuck perfectly.

The more likely cause would be trying to mix water and oil based paints.  I always try to use one or the other on my shields. 

It may even be defective paint.  Don't get too frustrated by it.  Just sand it back down after it dries and start over again.  Good luck with it and post pics when your done.  I love seeing other people's designs too!

Lady Ellie

Thank you for all your replies.

Yes the primer was sanded and you might be right about the heat. He was doing this in the afternoon and it does get a little warm here in Texas. We will try again and take all the help
with us when we do it again. I will post pictures when we get them done.

My thanks to all. Have a good and safe weekend.