News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trip Planning for this June

Started by RenStarr, March 20, 2013, 12:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blushing

I've been trying to get to Sherwood ... weather there and bronchitis on my end kepty me home two years ago.  This year, I was contending with a bad knee injury.  I'm attending Sherwood next year, or I might be kidnapped ...

I also forgot to mention the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs.  It's a hilly zoo with lots to offer - I LOVE feeding the giraffes!   The new Encounter Africa exhibit is set to open soon, as well.

And Merlin and his bride are awesome.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Blushing on April 07, 2013, 09:49:33 PM
I've been trying to get to Sherwood ... weather there and bronchitis on my end kepty me home two years ago.  This year, I was contending with a bad knee injury.  I'm attending Sherwood next year, or I might be kidnapped ...

I also forgot to mention the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs.  It's a hilly zoo with lots to offer - I LOVE feeding the giraffes!   The new Encounter Africa exhibit is set to open soon, as well.

And Merlin and his bride are awesome.

Now who's blushing... The brewpub I mentioned earlier is in Castle Rock... Rockyard American Grill and Brewing Company, right off the Interstate on Castleton Rd.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Zoë

Quote from: RenStarr on April 07, 2013, 06:28:06 PM
Zoe:  We've already made a reservation at a place on the Thompson river, Brynwood is the name of the place.  Cabin, pool for our granddaughter, close to RMNP, on the river, etc.  Some of the things we were wanting.  We'll be there during the week, so hopefully the traffic in the park won't be to bad.  Thanks for the response!  Got any good suggestions on local brew pubs?  I believe someone already posted about one (I'll need to back track the thread and make notes).

One can hope on the traffic. Your best bet is to get up there as early as possible. The Bear Lake road closes to personal cars at 8am so you're forced to take the shuttle up there pretty much no matter what. There aren't a ton of "pubs" in town per se, but the Estes Park Brewery is a good stop for some good brews. Otherwise you'll be looking at some restaurants that have decent beer selections--Smokin' Dave's BBQ is one of our favorites, it's on highway 36 on the west side of town and has a good beer selection as well as some amazing BBQ, and the Rocky Mountain Inn (Better known to locals as the Rock Inn), also on the west side of town nearing the Park, has good drinks but the food is a little on the pricy side, although their pizzas are excellent. They also have live music most nights of the week in the summer.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

As a Beer lover... I'd avoid Estes Brewery. To me they have 1 maybe 2 good beers and are not even sub-par to other local beers.

As Stephanie said many of the places do serve local beer but it's better to get it from a brewery if you can.

Loveland has 3 Breweries. Grimms is Top Notch and b far WAY better than New Belgium that every one talks about. new Belgium used to be good but has gotten to big and when you brew to much beer you start getting the Bud/Coors syndrome... not good beer. Big Beaver Brewey in Loveland I have yet to try but I hear good things. he 3rd brewery is downtown and I've yet to try it.

In Ft Collins Pateros Creek is THE place to go. They do not serve the heavy coffee flavor, burned tasting, juniper berry flavor beers that Estes brews, or New Belgium and O'Dells brew. There beers are smooth... very smooth. O'Dells is good with a nice pub. They usually have 15+ beers n tap. New Belgium which I mentioned is always the place everyone says to go, but trust a beer lover, it is not the best but still way better than Estes and still far far better than most other local beers.

Longmont has Left Hand... another not so good beer IMHO. Between Boulder and Longmont there are 5 or 6. In Loveland and Ft Collins there are 15+
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

All personal taste, of course. I happen to love New Belgium, but to each his own. The brewery tours there are pretty cool (and free, last I knew) and way more in depth than O'Dell's tour. Prepare to spend about 90 minutes in there. Lots of free samples!

Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Zoë on April 09, 2013, 04:39:34 PM
All personal taste, of course. I happen to love New Belgium, but to each his own. The brewery tours there are pretty cool (and free, last I knew) and way more in depth than O'Dell's tour. Prepare to spend about 90 minutes in there. Lots of free samples!

NB no longer does free samples in the tap room, they now charge like everyone else. That stopped late summer last year. You do get free samples IF you can get in the tour but you get that at Coors and Bud as well. Most are booked months ahead of time. Just looking all of April and May are filled on Friday and Saturdays. Weekdays you can get in.

And Yes it is a matter of taste but most in Loveland and Ft Collins while we like NB... do not like NB as much as the smaller places. NB is typically visited by the college NONE beer lovers that love beer but not the fine stuff like drinking Fine wine or good wine, or cheap wine or cheaper wine. One thing with NB is they love to make sour beer now or smoked beer or IPA. They have their main stays like Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat, Cuttroat porter etc but beer produced in mass losses a lot, any brewer of worth can tell you that.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

RenStarr

The time is near.............as in tomorrow morning!!  Getting in the truck and heading out early.  Stopping in the Texas panhandle area then on to CO.  Looking forward to getting away, seeing the central CO area, and attending CRF on opening Saturday.   ;D
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

Merlin the Elder

Travel safely, Lad! Hope you have a wonderful time!

RenStarr

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 07, 2013, 08:22:33 PM
Travel safely, Lad! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Merlin, thanks for well wishes, I know we're gonna have a great time!

In CO now, Littleton area for tonight.  Gonna visit with some friends this evening.  Drove by Larkspur exit earlier, we're dialed in on the exit for next Saturday.  Tomorrow we're off to Estes park till next Friday morning.  Looking forward to opening day and spending the day in the shire at Larkspur!  Look at my pic (earlier in this thread), and say hello if any of you all see me first.  I'll be be looking for some of you all.
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.

Merlin the Elder

If you get a chance, take a drive through the Garden of the Gods. It doesn't take you far out of your way, and has some beautiful sights! It's just outside of Colorado Springs.

RenStarr

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 10, 2013, 06:19:57 AM
If you get a chance, take a drive through the Garden of the Gods. It doesn't take you far out of your way, and has some beautiful sights! It's just outside of Colorado Springs.

Did that yesterday.  Really amazing sights indeed!  The height and color of those rocks are very unique.
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.

Edmund Howard

Welcome to CO, RenStarr.  Enjoy Estes Park.  Mrs. Wheatie was just up there this weekend for the wool market.  I'd like to say she came home with three bags full.  But it seems more like 10.  See you in Larkspurshire this coming weekend.

Zoë

Huzzah! I'd say stop into the Starbucks and say hi to the hubby, but he's at a different store this week. He and I will be at faire on Sunday.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

RenStarr

Back home now, and back in the Texas heat.   :P

But our week in CO was fantastic!  Spent four days/nights in Estes Park and had a great time.  Rocky Mtn Nat Park was amazing.  Saw lots of elk, some mule deer, even some big horn sheep!  The sights in the park were great!

Then we ended the week at CRF on opening Sat.  We didn't a good time, we had a GREAT time!!  We were totally impressed with CRF.  Met some really nice folks, saw some really good shows, and site itself is fantastic.  Our granddaughter kept us busy moving along and around every corner there was something she wanted to do, look at, or buy.  We both know that we'll be coming back!

Norfolk, it a pleasure meeting both you and the Duchess.  I hope we are able to see you at Sherwood some day in the future.
Blushing, we did stop by the journals booth but didn't see you. 
For everyone else, thanks for you advice/responses given prior to our trip.

Well met and I hope our paths cross at some point in the future.

RenStarr

Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.

Norfolk

RenStarr,

T'was entirely the pleasure of the Duchess and myself to meet you and yours!  We cannot tell thee what a pleasure 'tis that you found Larkspurshire worth the journey.

We very much hope to see you again.

Norfolk
Just call me "Your Grace"