News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Village Wise Woman

Started by Wickedvox, March 23, 2013, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wickedvox

I'm kicking around the idea of applying to MiRF, but wanted a character idea before I did so. Considering my nursing background I thought it would be a good idea to create a Village Wise Woman. I found *one* article on Elizaethan medicine and it was sparse. Anyone have any resources I can look into? I think it's just going to be a matter of carrying around some herbs and dispensing unsolicited medical advice, but want to cover my bases. Thoughts??
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

DonaCatalina

Most of them would have been midwives in order to avoid the wrath of the church.
http://nursingandmidwiferyinhistory.blogspot.com/
Women who attempted to dispense other medical advice ended up burned at the stake.
Some estoimates are that upwards of 9 million women were burned during the middles ages through the renaissance for nothing more than venturing to offer aid in more fields than childbirth.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Wickedvox

Thanks Dona! Yeah, I didn't want to do the midwife thing cause yeah, I ain't birthin' no babies--even pretend ones lol! Eh, guess I'll just be me for now since I don't want to be pretend burned at the stake either lol.

stonebiscuit

The only problem I see is that "wise woman" isn't really an occupation. What does your proposed character do for a living that makes people call her wise? Does she grow herbs? Is she the widow of the most prosperous farmer the village has ever seen, and holds status for that? Does she have amazing luck in cribbage? Basically, find a reason that people would call her wise.

Wickedvox

Stone, I was thinking herbalist. But I've also got this "Husband's a middle class fabric merchant who is often away looking for fabulous fabrics." persona. Since my real-life husband is a store manager who does not often go to fair with me, I thought this would be best lol. I'll probably just stick with that.

Butch

Also, consider being a barber's wife.  Barbers were the go-to guys for people's aches and pains, and even minor surgeries.  Maybe as a barber's wife, you would have developed similar skills and "wisdom" that you wish to promulgate as your character at MiRF.

Good luck!

Wickedvox

Well, I was just invited to be part of the Resident Cast, so I guess this is moot lol. They pick a character for me  :-\
Gosh...I hope I don't have to make new garb... ::) *sarcasm*

Orphena

Congrats on making cast! M'lord and I hope to make it out for Labour Day weekend!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

stonebiscuit

Congrats on making cast! It you haven't, I would pick up a copy of Jane the Phoole's book, "Easy Street."

Wickedvox

Thanks guys! I'll have to check out that book, thanks Stone!

Aderin

I love your wise woman idea! A counselor is always a fine profession, no matter how ancient! I like to think some of the wizards of old were venerable counselors! A female wizard would be a good role for you at some point, no?

Congratulations on becoming a cast member! A admirable position indeed!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Wickedvox

So the fates have gone spinning their threads again. I've been cast as the village...soothsayer lol! Which is close enough to what I was thinking.
1. I don't want to be a gypsy, at least not in "faire" sense. I want to present myself as someone to be respected and listened to, but I'm constantly making obvious observations so I can be right all the time. (I see a turkey leg in your future---oh look! You're in line! See? I was right!)
2. Garb--standard middles (I'm a widow of some well-off upper middle class who left me with sons and money.)
Any other ideas?? Accoutraments? Thanks!

Jade

I see a  wet chemise in your future - headed towards washing wrenches.  Can't wait to see your  work!

Orphena

Offer to predict people's future, but end up predicting the weather in their immediate future.

Predict the weather, by some strange means. Check the weather forecast on Accuweather, or something local and trusted, and go to town. I'd suggest watching the witch in Robin Hood (The Kevin Costner version), or "Latrine" in Men In Tights, or any other witchy character, gather together all sorts of odd ingredients in a wooden bowl -  Eye of newt, spit of taod, etc. etc. in order to predict the weather for the day. Ensure that you take something from your audience - 3 hairs from their head, or something silly like that.

Lot's of build up, accurate results, and plenty of laughs!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Rowan MacD

^^love this idea!^^.   
   As long as you don't mind playing a 'crone' like character (not necessarily an old woman) the more eccentric the better; you can act as crazy as a bedbug. 

In the middle ages the simple and the insane were thought to be 'touched by God', and as such they were well tolerated in the village.   They were called upon to bless children and to tell fortunes, and their immunity to repercussions for any 'blunt speaking' provided the opportunity to spout witticisms at will.
   An odd costume, combined with periodic mumbling, peering into and poking at the contents of your scrying bowl as you walk around should prompt some of the mundanes to approach you, at least to get a picture.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt