News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What about living in your city is nothing like the TV/movies?

Started by Valiss, April 03, 2013, 09:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

What about living in your city is nothing like what the TV or movies would have us believe?

I used to live in Los Angeles many years ago.  It's not all galmorous. There are a lot of homeless and crappy neighborhoods to be had.  And you don't run into celebs unless you happen to live near one lives, but odds are, you can't afford it anyway.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We live in Iowa and we do not have corn or pigs in our front yard  :D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Meagan

Rednecktopia, TX. Our football team sucks. Always have, always will. But we got a new stadium anyway.

Morgan Dreadlocke

ROFLMAO! Live a few miles north of Old Tucson Studios. Looks the same now as when John Wayne rode through. ;D
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

LadyFae

Well first off, Fargo is in North Dakota- not Minnesota- and we don't all speak "like that" (though to be fair, many of my relatives DO) and we don't really have that many murderers using wood chippers to get rid of the bodies...
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

DonaCatalina

Neither we nor my neighbors have oilwells or cattle. The last family ranch was sold off about 5 years ago for a developer to build ranchettes for Yankees.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

We do wear shoes in Arkansas, and I took down the still 3 years ago.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Valiss

Quote from: DonaCatalina on April 04, 2013, 04:53:45 AM
Neither we nor my neighbors have oilwells or cattle. The last family ranch was sold off about 5 years ago for a developer to build ranchettes for Yankees.

Do you guys really say "y'all" all the time though?

Jade

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Valiss on April 04, 2013, 09:40:05 AM

Valiss, I'm noticing that "Y'all" is becoming more common all around the country. I heard a national newscaster use it just yesterday.  Having lived in the South for most of my life, I really struggle not to use the colloquialisms of the area, but y'all, et's harder that ketchin' a greased pig!

Valiss

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 04, 2013, 09:59:46 AM
Quote from: Valiss on April 04, 2013, 09:40:05 AM

Valiss, I'm noticing that "Y'all" is becoming more common all around the country. I heard a national newscaster use it just yesterday.  Having lived in the South for most of my life, I really struggle not to use the colloquialisms of the area, but y'all, et's harder that ketchin' a greased pig!

Well I can tell you it isn't used in California that I've ever heard.  I assume it is a Texas / southern accent thing. But that's jsut what the movies would have me belive. So you guys DO say it! Hahaha. While I do say 'dude' a lot, I dont know anyone who has a valley girl accent.

BLAKDUKE

If I had seen deliverance first I would never have moved to Ga/Al.   I refuse to mash buttons, I mash potatoes.  I am never fixin to do anything, there are many things I am thinking/preparing to do.   I shudder at y'all  and y'alls is even worse.  Here everything in the bible is to be taken literally no matter how stupid, nonsensical, or rediculous it may be , yet no one has been able to tell me where Cains wife came from.  Nothing is to be eaten without grits, yet they frown on cream of wheat, the only difference is the source material, the consistency of each is identical.  The sheep, goats, and other cattle are kept locked up lest they be violated by the neighbors.  They all complain about the Yankees, but if it were not for Yankees they would not know what shoes were.  Not one of them knows that the civil war(not the war of northern aggression) is over and THEY surrendered.  It has been 158 years since the event and they still won't get over it.  There was a bypass route built over 18 years ago with a frontage road and in all that time they still don't know that people coming off of the highway onto the frontage road have the right of way, even though it is clearly marked.  Reading here is not a required subject.  When the old high school was abandoned and a new one was built, the first spade of dirt lifted out of the ground was for the football stadium not the school..   Why do I stay.  I hate snow and high taxes.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 03, 2013, 11:11:41 AM
We live in Iowa and we do not have corn or pigs in our front yard  :D

I live in NW Illinois but work across the Mississippi River in Iowa in a customer service call center.   So many times people ask where I am located, and I'll tell them Iowa, and they reply, "Oh, the place with the potatoes."

Sorry, that's Idaho.

So many people think the only place in Illinois is Chicago, but here in rural NW Illinois, we have more cows than people.  Almost no pollution, and at night, you can look out and see the stars.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

Misconceptions can be interesting. Went I went to college, in the Arkansas border town of Memphis, TN, I had someone make a crack about not knowing we wore shoes. This particular person was from the thriving metropolis of Sapulpa, Oklahoma, and spoke with an British accent.  What a dork.

I HAVE run into girls with the "Valley Girl" affectation. I'm sure it was as put on as the British accent from Oklahoma.  In all fairness, almost every area of the country has their own idiosyncrasies. Youse guys shouldn't make fun of y'all.  ;D

BLAKDUKE

In New York City most residents think anywhere above White Plains is Indian country.  I was asked once, after the person heard I was from NY,  Oh do you know so and so.  Like there are only 25 million residents in the state I should know this one person.  JEEEEEZZ............
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel