News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

antique/vintage petticoat

Started by Nina, April 08, 2013, 11:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nina

hello all, I don't post much, mostly lurk and enjoy seeing everyone's amazing creations and talent.  I need to pick your brains on a somewhat off topic item. 

Yesterday my friend found an amazing discovery at a thrift store.  she found an extremely pristine "petticoat"of black cotton or cotton like fabric.  It is exquisite and I am soo drooling over it!  The tag inside says McGee Bros Co Jackson, Mich.  We tried googling it but couldn't find much other than ads that resemble it the most are from 1906.  The waist has an adjustable closure with two buttons then two rows of eyelets then a pair of hooks on either side.  hard to explain but really cool.  We couldn't find anything for sale like it on ebay or pinterest but I'm not very techie. We are wondering about value not so she can sell it but to figure out if we should wear it and enjoy, or if it belongs in a museum or something.  It has no signs of wear, no stains, no rips at all.  Beautiful  pintucks, ruching at the bottom. Nice enough to be a skirt, but it says its a petticoat on the ads. Any information on said petticoat or similar garments would be greatly appreciated.

GryffinSong

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

It looks like you asked this in several forums. The problem with vintage clothing is that while it may be pristine now; it may be a little fragile for fairewear. Even cotton fabric will deteriorate after 100 years. I think McGee Brothers went out of business in 1912.
Photos would help us give you a more informed opinion.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

isabelladangelo

Photos would be very helpful - however, you should not wear a garment that is more than really 60~ years old.  Sweat, dirt, and even just plain old air will greatly affect the stability of the fibers, as DonaCatalina alluded to.  Even with vintage garments (garments between 60-20 years old), you need to be carefully about how you wear the garment and where it gets worn.  The only time I've worn garments that are in the plus 60+ year old range was in controlled environments where I didn't move much - even then, a lovely Edwardian blouse is now tearing at the seams slightly because of that wear.  (I don't wear it anymore!)

Antique garments are awesome for teaching us sewing techniques and for figuring out patterns.   They are not meant to be worn or destroyed. 

If you like, I do have a blog dedicated to antique garments at http://extantgowns.blogspot.com   I sometimes go into depth on the blog about certain garments and explain the dating.   

Nina

Thank you ladies for the quick responses and advice.  I will try to post photos later this week.  However, the best my stupidphone can do may not do the piece justice.  It really looks new, no rips, no tears, no patches, no fading, no moth holes, nothing.  I did wonder how strong could the thread be if it is really that old.  Neither of us has worn it yet, though we did try it on.  The only thing besides the label that gives its age away are the eyelets on the "adjustable yoke" waist that look, well, just old.  There isn't really a continuous waistband, but think of it like wrap pants where the waist is concerned.  It wraps over itself but closes with hooks & eyelets instead of strings.  Pretty ingenious for early 1900's.  The real beauty is in all the ruching and pintucks at the bottom.  Will see if I can get help w/pics.