News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Patron's camping - new thread

Started by mpullen, April 10, 2013, 07:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

I was just informed that this past Saturday after Faire, Scarby management indicated they are very open to building a Patron's campgrounds and they were just waiting on my business plan to present to their insurance company.

Here lies the problem(s):

My discussion with Scarby participants also working at Sherwood indicated that Scarby management failed on a few points, such as showers that were fungus factories at best, very expensive Participant camping fees, minimal toilets, etc. To me, that indicated that management was not interested in spending the money to support their participants, let alone spend the money to establish a Patron's campgrounds.

Now I am at a loss. In order to form a business plan, I need to see the available land, to determine the land clearing costs (bulldozers, road building, stabilization, etc.). Plus need the local costs for trash dumpsters, port-a-potties, and security. Who are the contractors presently used by the Faire? What are the rules the Faire management desires to enforce? I can send them the rules we have established at Sherwood, but many may not apply (as no reserved clan camping). It has taken me 4 years at Sherwood to get things fairly stable, so Scarby is a new challenge.

Anyone have the Scarby general manager contact info? I had it once, but it's rolled off my email history. I realize that he is busy during the Faire season, but I would be willing to come up in the next few weeks (just not April 20 weekend as I have submarine veterans meeting), provided I can get a motel reservation.

Building a business plan is 90% guessing and 10% hoping, with a lot of "what if's" tossed in. My plan for Sherwood was a 5 year return on investment (ROI) and it looks like we will make it.

Now, head count. On a rough estimate, how many Patron campers would we have? It has taken Sherwood 4 years to add from a rennie camping attendance to a general public camping attendance.

Any input is appreciated. Already have input from Participants - Keep the Patron's campgrounds as far away from the Participants campgrounds as possible. Noted.  Just need to see the land layout.

I can provide my home phone number via private mail for anyone interested in discussing.

Lady Alecia

We have not attended Scarborough, even though we have heard wonderful things about it, because of the lack of camping.  If the campground was added, I know my dear husband and I would attend. :D
Ye olde southern nurse

Oswyn Fenecote

I would LOVE to camp for Scarby! Yes please! I know several people who would want this also... Sherwood saw 1k+ people camping on any given weekend, so you can assume it will be at least that, potentially way more, as it is a larger faire. It may sound cheesy, but maybe a kickstarter fund or something to help offset the massive shower/toilet cost? I dunno. I'd donate to that cause if it was certain to come through.
Oswyn Fenecote

Trigger

I would definitely camp, as would a few of my friends who aren't on this board. That being said, while there are a fair few of us on here, there are probably a lot more who aren't so it would be hard to get a realistic headcount on here. it is, however, a good place to start. :)
look up into the stars, and you're gone.
-fight club

Bonny Pearl

Count McLot in on that since I think it wouldn't be an issue with travel trailers getting stuck in sand there.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

scarletnyx

Alex and I would definitely camp at Scarby!
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

VIII

Oh, my God! If there WERE Patron Camping, I'd NEVER get back to my trailer at night!  8)
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Zaubon

Quote from: VIII on April 23, 2013, 10:18:54 PM
Oh, my God! If there WERE Patron Camping, I'd NEVER get back to my trailer at night!  8)

But you'd have so much fun not getting there.

Otwell Throckmorton

Quote from: Zaubon on April 25, 2013, 11:57:19 AM
Quote from: VIII on April 23, 2013, 10:18:54 PM

But you'd have so much fun not getting there.
HUZZAH!
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
"Beware the barrenness of a busy life"
- Socrates

PollyPoPo

Mike P

Sent you a new PM - just FYI on somebody else looking at a campgrounds near Scarby.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Love Good Wood

I'd pay to camp there!... and I live in Waxahachie!!!

Don_Juan_deCordoba

Early in the season we might, if not for the dog.
Marques de Trives

prothos

we camp at trf several times a season and are starting to  look at attending other area fairs. if camping was added we would  attend

Tink

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

FreyBjorn

Definitely would camp there multiple weekends each season if it was available!!  Would be willing to KickStarter it too.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien