News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Womens Outfit - Ladies please help

Started by gmm213, April 17, 2013, 09:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmm213

I am looking at buying my fiancee an outfit. She has never been to a Festival but has been to a few larping events before we met and enjoyed them. I want to surprise her with something. I am hoping an entire outfit not piecing it together.If i can piece something nice off the same site though I wouldn't mind that. I also don't want to spend more than $400ish for the entire thing until she decides she really likes going. I have always made my own outfits, or when I did buy I bought them at a festival. I wear a tunic, chain mail, hauberk, cloak. I want something to match my outfit. She is a very tiny girl, but I want something that accents her figure nicely. She is especially small in the chest so it makes it harder. She will not wear a gown but possibly a longer skirt and blouse and a corset. Other than this I could probably get her to wear just about anything with relative ease.

Making something isn't out of the question but I know she'll want nicer quality that what I can sew. A skirt probably isn't out of my skill but blouses and corsets are.

FoxFire

Check the sticky thread at the top of the board for trusted online merchants. Many of them carry all of the pieces of a basic women's ensemble, and some sell them together as sets. You should be able to get a set all from one merchant easily. Make sure to look for natural fibers do her garb will be comfortable.  Under 400 in easily do-able for a basic peasant wench look of chemise, bodice and skirt.

Lady Renee Buchanan

If you're not going custom, which is more expensive, then you can get great, well-made garb from The Very Merry Seamstress.  Heather is a Forum member, and her clothing is beautiful, holds up really well (my cloak is 15 years old and still looks new), and you can get a full outfit in your price range.  Highly recommended!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

isabelladangelo

If you can sew, a chemise is not out of your skill level at all.  It's nothing more than a 1 1/2 yard of fabric (rectangle) for the front and back, about a yard for each sleeve, and then two 8"x8" squares for the gussets.  Go to the sewing board where we have a couple of threads on simple sewing patterns available online. 

If she's not a girly girl, you might find, she'll be more comfortable in a more medieval style dress rather than a chemise, skirt, and stays.  (ie, Elizabethan style).

The entire package for the above dress, smock, sleeves, stockings, and coif is $270.  The awesome part of the package is that the sleeves, smock, and stockings can be used for a very wide variety of eras - so even if she doesn't like the dress, she can use everything else for other outfits.  There are quite a few illuminations from the late 15th c, showing women wearing this style with their skirts hiked up (by a belt) while they worked outside.   It was sort of a t-shirt and jeans at the start of the Renaissance. 

Oswyn Fenecote

I am in love with pendragon stuff. It's not exactly historically accurate, but It is well made, comfortable, and within your price range. Also with lots of options. It is a piece together kind of site, but its killer stuff.
Here is the link to the women's clothing section. I have several of their male items, and LOVE what they do!

http://www.pendragoncostumes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=pendragon&Category_Code=tooled_bodices
Oswyn Fenecote

Oswyn Fenecote

On another note, ladies can be quite picky with their clothes... I nkow you want to surprise her, but keep in mind she may like to choose it herself? I don't want to dissuade you from this AWESOME and SWEEt gift, but I don't want you to spend all of that money on something, and her not really enjoy it... But if you know her well enough, go for it! what a great surprise!
Oswyn Fenecote

max and kate

the Frock shop makes real good quality and comfy women's clothing. 
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

stonebiscuit

I absolutely agree with Oswyn that she will probably want to select her own garb. My advice: buy her a gift certificate. Many merchants will do them. If you wish, you can make it part of a scavenger hunt that starts when she gets her tickets, goes to many pre-arranged festival activities (remember to tip well), and ends at the booth where she will be able to shop to her heart's content. I did that for my sister's birthday many times, and she always got a kick out of it. It's a fun and exciting way to see the festival, and what a great surprise at the end! Plus, it will give her some time to look around and see what other people are wearing.

arbcoind

Do you have her measurements?  Women's sizing varies widely.  Also she may wear a smaller size on top than on bottom and a one size fits all approach will not work.  I agree with Oswyn and stonebiscuit that she should select her own garb, mainly to get the sizing right.  I don't think you want to spend $ only to have to return the item(s).

Gina

Prima

I agree with the other ladies- let her pick it out!  So much fun to pick out new garb!  Maybe visit a faire with your merchant of choice and let her play dress up?
"I aim to misbehave" ~Malcolm Reynolds

gmm213

Thats probably what Ill do. Maybe Ill suprise her with the actual tickets to a fest then. Or maybe Ill make her some maille. Shes always loving my hauberk